Catalina Rescue 18 October 2020

JohnT

Not a Catalina flying in to do an Air Sea Rescue or an old airframe being saved from the scrap man but something a little unusual. A Catalina stuck with engine trouble on Loch Ness and unable to take off. Then the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and their inflatable to the rescue

video on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-54590948

• Like 2

Yep, she was moored in the bay near Drumnadrochit for safety after the engine problem and tow. Unfortunately one of the blister windows was damaged by a boat somewhere in the process, so once the engine is operating the intention is to recover her to Inverness - Dalcross - and complete repairs there. 

For info, the latest state of play is that she has been lifted  out of the water - by crane. That means she is safer from the probable high winds and waves later this weekend. It also makes the tasks a bit easier. A full engine change will be required sadly. Something internal is jamming the starter from moving. Expensive and slow exercise which will need scaffolding and some protection against the elements.

The group running her is appealing for  financial help - look up 'Miss Pick Up on line or see this 'GoFUndMe' page -

https://www.gofundme.com/f/misspickup?fbclid=IwAR2MoXrtM7j4M7iq-B52xG94MXVnTXQ1LU_GXCZr5-OlZG7U1juvUwxGUaE

(Mods, I hope that is alright posting that link; seems a worthwhile, honest, cause)

John B

• 11 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, noelh said:

Well, I can't wait to see this rescue featured in the next series of 'Saving lives at sea'.

Quoting myself but I see the rescue will be featured on Saving lives at sea next Tuesday 5th on BBC2. Should be interesting. 

Apparently the whole thing became quite the adventure. Fitting the replacement engine took quite a while.

• Like 1