1/72 Bloch 152 (Smer re-box) (#L091) - Finished

AdrianMF

A sneaky bit of modelling before starting work this morning. Hopefully I didn’t fiddle with the legs too much to get the angles about right, and they will dry solid not spongy if I leave them alone all day:

37-E09318-5-E13-4942-8279-D13736-D07690.

On 26/10/2020 at 18:25, BS_w said:

engine cowling is not straight as you wrote in your note

I don’t recall suggesting it was straight at any point. Thank you for the angle measurements.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:10 PM, AdrianMF said:

Someone said that time wasted enjoyably isn’t time wasted. In that case I haven’t wasted this afternoon:

BEF71-C8-D-4916-406-A-86-E7-D738-F506096

I will add a square of clear plastic to the gunsight later on, if I remember!

This is an amazing improvement. I will definitely be adding some cockpit detail on my MS225 now....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 11:49 AM, AdrianMF said:

Two layers of plastic card cut to fit, mini drill through the top one. When it’s all painted up, I twist a slightly larger drill backwards over each hole to rub off a tiny bit of paint on the rim. If you go forwards, the drill bites and then you have to start again. This is all with a hand pin vice, not a Dremel or Black and Decker!

And a IP done this way :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Hopefully I didn’t fiddle with the legs too much to get the angles about right, and they will dry solid not spongy if I leave them alone all day

Well, er, nope. Spongier than a fairy cake sitting on top of a victoria sponge. I fiddled around with them too much. So I've given them a drop of superglue and put them aside to dry properly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, er, nope. Spongier than a fairy cake sitting on top of a victoria sponge. I fiddled around with them too much. So I've given them a drop of superglue and put them aside to dry properly.

I hate it when that happens. :( I too have had to resort to super glue the odd time like that.

This is looking great Adrian. Had I seen this earlier, like, 6 months before you started this. ;) I may not have bought an RSmodels one of these. On the bright side, it has a nice engine. :) which you really won't see once it is built. :( I doubt I'll have as much fun as you're having either. 😢 :D

Steve

• Thanks 1

I should have heeded @JWM’s warning on the Dewoitine thread. The undercarriage legs look a little long. However, I think I’m going to leave it alone this time because:

a) it is unlikely to ever sit next to an accurate 152

b) it doesn’t look silly

c) there’s an awful lot of superglue on those legs now!

I won’t even say “next time”, because (a) will be even more relevant!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

On the bright side, it has a nice engine.

The RS engine does look like a gem. I do like a compact two-row radial! However, as you say, you won’t see much because it’s deep in a narrow cowl with a huge spinner in front. I did think about doing something about the engine on this but I’m glad I decided not to in the end.

• Like 1

Surely I agree that Heller MB 152 looks only a bit like MB 152 and cutting the legs is only the top of iceberg. Mine "152" was done in mid seventies and still stands on shelves, mostly because I made a hand painting of squadron emblem and I still like it. However a year or two ago I cut the legs and made them shorter, because this sharp angle became not acceptable any longer to me.... This is motivation behind my suggestion :).

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

With @JWM’s words ringing in my head, I had another look at the stalky undercarriage:

2-E909115-261-B-4-BAE-A35-D-1-E54545-CC0

Couldn't leave it. Two and a half mm out, drilled and pinned:

E4-E33-F54-66-E6-47-D8-B8-F3-9-FE5796924

Surprised how not-different it looks:

F9-AF6884-C995-4-A70-B0-E1-33-CE848-FC83

It does look a bit less stalky, and I didn’t break the retraction jacks, so a good result. I think it needs an extra door segment at the top now so I will add a little rectangle of card before ploughing on.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, JWM said:

here is nice shot

Ow-w-w-ouch! I will have to leave it now because I’m not going to cut through brass pins. It looks like you could go 6-7mm shorter, not just 2 or 3! Hey ho.

The funny thing is, none of the plans I looked at on the internet had legs that short!

I will have to make a base with very long grass.

And construction is complete, apart from external gunsight and wheels, which will be added later, and the landing light recess and cover:

FFD3-A101-76-BF-4-F78-8161-F290-E17-D849

The sliding canopy is loose so I can paint underneath it.

• Like 6

Had that scheme been in lime green and oranges, I would have said Timothy Leary was involved. French WW2 Camouflage is something else altogether!

It really does look good though and it will certainly be a distinctive addition to your collection.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

lime green and oranges

I’m sure there’s a profile of this scheme somewhere out there in exactly those colours...

So, I’ve been having fun; the Smer decals are slightly out of proportion and have the wrong colour blue. So I punched out some discs of decal sheet using a leather punch, painted them a better blue and stuck them on. Port wing done:

65-CDB922-4738-4-B80-BC39-4-E1-EE3-A1-D9

I don’t know what the roundel proportions should be so I punched a range of disc sizes and used the ones that looked about right.

I found out that painting the decal sheet first, then cutting it out, gives neater discs:

A011-CA61-0-B50-41-B3-9-E07-FC4-F826-F24

A leather punch is not as good as a proper modeller’s one, but it is about forty quid cheaper!

Anyhow, decals on, decals over decals on and a load of touch-ups later:

692-F8477-ABC1-41-D3-BE5-E-39-CFE671-C32

Tomorrow a bit of dirt, matt varnish, gunsight, wheels, stick down canopy and build a new base. I’m not having that thing dragging its tail skid across my concrete blocks!

• Like 17

This is coming to a quick end now. It looks great so far. I like your roundel tests. Had to smile because I have the same punch wheel, and mostly use it to punch small black discs to simulate lightening holes in the undercarriage bay.

• Like 3

Very handsome Bloch! 

Funny, today I was also using similar puncher to do masks for round windows in back of canopy in Dewoitine 338 as well as to do replacement wheels for Leo 451... :)

If you look at brand new Dora Wings MB 152 in 1/48 your length of u/c is OK (photo from BM)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8m57UnVLBi-3QDi9_ER5

On one drawings there is a huge stork on oil shock absorber shown (half of wheel diameter) - this is maube why it looks different on different photos, perhaps depending on amount of fuel in tanks...

bloch_mb_152-82252.jpg

Best regards

J-W

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JWM said:

length of u/c

I think I’m happier with that now. I’ve been staring at a load of plans too. My pictures in the thread above have the main and tail wheel on exactly the same level at the bottom. Your picture of the real one and the picture of the Dora one are both tilted so the main wheels are lower. Once you take that into account then I think it’s “close enough”!

...and your 338 is amazing. Glad to see you checked the undercarriage height on that one ;)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I was up like a kid on Christmas morning today. I didn’t spot it yesterday, but the roundel on the port side of the fuselage had slipped down at some point. So off it came (sanding and retouching) and I needed to find a new one. The Smer D.520 kit has ones that were a bit larger, but I managed to trim one down to size by cutting round an 11mm disc:

B2-EDBF53-B24-B-4-B3-F-A809-A08-A1-BCB4-

Replacement middle dot and touch up to the white because it wasn’t very opaque:
5-F124868-BBD8-41-EF-9-A7-F-A3-FBD0766-E

I drilled an off-centre axle hole in the wheels to keep the ride height low and made some hub detail from punched plastic disks:

AE2458-D4-BF5-D-4126-8317-5-F2-DF9-C8-B5

Nearly there...

• Like 9