Late model Panther G

Retired Bob

I have decided to throw another Dragon Panther G into this GB.  As can be seen, all the sprues are still sealed in plastic bags because I thought all the Dragon Panther G kits were the same plastic just different decals and p/e.  However, as I was removing the turret from it's sprue I noticed that it is slightly different, it has the horse shoe fairing in front of the cupola for I/R attachment and marks on the turret sides for the camouflage attachment loop locations.  The only other difference that I found so far is the kit has the larger late idler but the earlier one has been removed from the sprues.

IMG_1392

Always good to start a new kit, removing the big bits and making a start on the turret and hull.

IMG_1394

As always, Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

I have always liked the late green painted panthers with just thin lines of dark yellow going across the turret and hull, but I have some Archer disc camouflage dry decal sheets for late Panthers.  Something different to a standard 3 colour scheme. :hmmm:

• Like 2

Flippin typical, just ordered the same kit yesterday, in case I needed another Panther obvs,  thought be nice to bookend the Panther line with an early D and a late G....

(Much nicer box art on this one than the steel-wheeled offering).

Thought the Dragon one,  even if older, looked a better bet than the RFM offering and cheaper than the Takom version.

I'll be watching keenly in case you find any issues, nice to be forewarned of any pitfalls. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Flippin typical, just ordered the same kit yesterday, in case I needed another Panther obvs,  thought be nice to bookend the Panther line with an early D and a late G....

Did you get it off ebay, I saw there was one for sale.  It's strange that I had not noticed the change to the turret, and stranger that Dragon moulded the horse shoe shaped I/R bracket onto the turret roof, not sure how many had it fitted but it would be easier not to fit it than chisel it off.  The larger self cleaning idlers are new  bits, they could have left the old  ones on the sprue for the spares box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Found out!

I did, paid more than I really wanted, as usual but i was sat in a waiting room nothing better to do....

Hope it wasn't you that I outbid!

Not me, I sometimes put them on my watch list to see how much they go for, but I had 2 in the stash (1 now) that I had bought for £27.99 back a decade or so ago when they came out. :unsure:

• Like 1

Managed to get some work done on the Panther today, I started with the suspension and running gear and was beginning to add some parts to the turret when my son phoned needing my help, so I grabbed a quick photo of what I had done so far. 

IMG_1396

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

Because assembling the upper and lower hull on my steel wheeled Panther by following the kit instructions was a bit awkward, I decided to build this Panther my way.  After adding the suspension to the lower hull I then added the rear panel.  On the upper hull I have only added the components that need to be fitted from the inside and then I glued it to lower hull, this was much easier without all the spare track racks and other flimsy items getting in the way.  If I decide to use the Archers disc camouflage dry decals it will be also easier to apply them if most of the "sticky out" bits are left off, so I will have to make that decision soon.

• Like 3

A quick update of what I've been doing over the last couple of days, I decided to try Lee's @Longbow method of assembling all the running gear ready for painting.  I have just added the outer wheels for the photo, but all the rest of it slides off the axles to be painted separately. Now that's done I can add all the easily breakable bits to the upper hull.

IMG_1397

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Retired Bob
  • Like 10

22 minutes ago, Longbow said:

if you black base first it works very well on the conjoined wheels and tracks. 

Thanks, The glue is just about dry so first chance I get I will coat it with black 1500 surfacer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

That looks great Bob! Very clean work

I had bit of a Homer moment, I was building on auto pilot and added the parts to the rear deck for both the low fans, same as on the other build. :doh:  Luckily I realised in time to correct it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I had bit of a Homer moment, I was building on auto pilot and added the parts to the rear deck for both the low fans, same as on the other build. :doh:  Luckily I realised in time to correct it.

True confessions of a modeller - ah, yes, I think we have all had those moments. Great recovery then 'cause you can't pick it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

A quick update of what I've been doing over the last couple of days, I decided to try Lee's @Longbow method of assembling all the running gear ready for painting.  I have just added the outer wheels for the photo, but all the rest of it slides off the axles to be painted separately. Now that's done I can add all the easily breakable bits to the upper hull.

IMG_1397

Thanks for looking.

Looking good, but what tank modeling heresy is this to already glue down all the running gear and tracks. :devil:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Looking good, but what tank modeling heresy is this to already glue down all the running gear and tracks. :devil:

I entirely concur......"therein lies the road to madness" 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Great progress there Bob, though I don't envy you, painting those wheels around the track teeth.

Well I've tried all the other methods, I'm going for post modern impressionism,  just a hint of the colours rather than hard  edged paintwork, or there is always a splattering of mud. :idea:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2