Trouble at 'mill.

I don't know where I went wrong but the glazings aren't even close to fitting over the pilot's instrument panel and combing. I can only see one place the can fit, but the later diagram further into the instructions shows it sitting about 2mm lower than it actually did. I've removed it, but don't quite know what I'm going to do next.

resized_b708f7db-2543-44ed-862c-86f680b4

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I trimmed a bit, shaved a bit and took liberties by positioning a little further aft than I think it's supposed to go and now the lid is on. There are 3 pieces of clear plastic attached there and it was perhaps one of the more fiddly things to do.

resized_875eff31-ebfb-47a6-901f-de0d4b41

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

How on earth does one mask this in under 10 minutes? 🤔

Probably not, but either damp kitchen roll, cotton wool or sponges work well for the panels/doors/hatches. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 6:09 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Trouble at 'mill.

I don't know where I went wrong but the glazings aren't even close to fitting over the pilot's instrument panel and combing. I can only see one place the can fit, but the later diagram further into the instructions shows it sitting about 2mm lower than it actually did. I've removed it, but don't quite know what I'm going to do next.

I experienced the same problem...

What made it worse in my case was I added several details on the inner part of the glazing. I ended up trim several area of the clear parts, and even after all the sanding and filing, I still have to add a bit of force when glue all the clear parts together.

I found those process along with masking the opened panels too exhausting.

It still seats patiently for me to continue the build  

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline

Great work on this Jamie. I was hoping you were going to build her after talking to you on one of the other pages about the internal set. I went for the 1/48 as I managed to get it cheaper as I had some vouchers to spend. I can’t find any builds of the 1/48 anywhere but as you mentioned it’s kind of an upscaled 1/72 I can follow your brilliant build and get some kind of a heads up. Glad you managed to sort out the canopy. 

Those 3D decals do look very nice. 🤩

Johnny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't stopped but did have to return to work on Thursday, so not much has happened although I have PVA'd on most of the open panels for painting and have added numerous small fittings. I need to mask the glazings then we're good to go on paint :)

• Like 3

Nice work Jamie. The Zvezda kit captures all the subtle details of the Hind really well. I used the North Star interior PE at on my recent build, but it looks like those 3D printed decals would have saved me a lot of bother!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I went for the 1/48 as I managed to get it cheaper as I had some vouchers to spend.

I think this is a great kit, to either build as is or treat as a superb basis as a blank canvass build.

I am really surprised though that an aftermarket company hasn't come up with a cockpit set for it as that would really transform it. The Quinta decals wouldn't be enough as there is so much extra pipework and fittings etc in the real cockpit.

I do have the Pavla cockpit for the Monogram kit and I will try and make it fit the Zvezda Hind!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Blimey, making your own bread aswel, must be non stop there, when the power is on!

I live 5 miles from the nearest small shop, so sometimes it's quicker to just crack on with stuff at home if you see what I mean. It takes a while, but almost all the time is just waiting, not doing. If anyone wants to try an easy bread, try this:

500g strong flour

7g of yeast

10g of salt

... into a decent size mixing bowl, with yeast and salt initially at opposite sides.

Add 40ml of olive oil, then 300ml of water.

Mix and nead with a stretching action for 10 mins then leave in a covered bowl for 90mins to rise. It should feel a little warm, stretchy and a bit elasticky if it's done right. If it doesn't, put more effort in. Oil the bowl to stop it it sticking.  When the timer goes off, empty dough onto worktop and flatten the air out of it. Once you've knocked it back down, shape into a bloomer shape by moulding using palms of hands tucking under from sides to bottom as though making a bowl with hands. Do this on a lightly floured baking tray. Leave it an hour to prove (rise again). Turn on your oven to 220degC and let it heat up properly.

When the timer goes off, use a sharp kitchen knife to slice 3 or 4 cuts into the top. This stops the sides of your bread cracking when it bakes... Put it in the oven for 20mins. After 20mins, reduce heat to 200deg for another 5 mins. Take out of oven, turn over into your hand (which you protect with a tea towel because we're not all stupid and we know things just out of the oven are hot, right?) and knock the bottom of the loaf with your knuckles. If it sounds hollow it's done. Place on a rack or similar to cool before cutting.

It's certainly easier just buying bread, but there's also something rewarding about just making it. :)

• Like 5

I got to work on the topsides.

resized_caa584dd-9c74-458a-a033-466caf95

resized_a3a3436b-0cf7-44bd-bcf3-f5efd26b

I started with the darker khaki green, then masked with white tack. The sand was then airbrushed over the lot. It's drying now and I've resisted unmasking it already and am on the way to the shops for some stuff (Gill's driving, obviously).

• Like 5

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Lovely work, looks absolutely just so!

Thanks for the bread  making tips aswel, sounds like your nearest model shop might be quite a distance from you!

You're right there. I don't really bother to be honest as the very modern problem of choice versus stock prevails. If my travels take me to Edinburgh I'll usually pop in to Wonderland, and if it's new otherwise I'll usually give @Duncan B first shot. Usually what I buy isn't typical shop fodder sourced through big generic distributors anyway. I've got a large stash already and it's mostly aftermarket I buy nowadays :)

• Like 2

The hind looks great, shamrocks very st Patrick :) 

I have a bread making machine I just bung in the ingredients ( my current standby is wholewheat, just oil, salt, sugar, yeast, water and half wholewheat half spelt flour) and its ready in 4 hours. 

There aren’t many model shops any more and they’re all shut with the current lockdown but even though online is cheaper and has a much better selection of stuff I still do love going into a hobby shop. But like yourself I’ve plenty of stuff in my stash and I also scratchbuild so I don’t really need to buy anything except the odd few supplies and even then I could probably improvise. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi folks,

It's been a busy week at work but I fitted a barrier coat of Alclad Aquagloss, a pale grey-green filter, decals, an olive filter and enamel matt coat in between the usual responsibilities and commitments.

resized_3bd48f1a-ee56-47a5-a379-5c1e1ec3

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2020 at 14:09, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I don't know where I went wrong but the glazings aren't even close to fitting over the pilot's instrument panel and combing.

I had the same issue with this kit, so looks it’s not your fault.

On 21/10/2020 at 16:49, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This is why I always build models with all panels closed. How on earth does one mask this in under 10 minutes? 🤔

I masked mine about the whole day... 😹

Excellent progress so far, Jamie. Thumbs up! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1