Hi folks,

Sorry for another one. Some may have saw that I just bought this:

resized_6105accf-5f78-4e6e-a7c6-ba4765db

... partly because I like Russian helicopters but also because I'd seen Quinta Studio's new 3D-printed-on-to-decal-paper cockpit parts and wanted a relatively low-risk project to try them on.

resized_3c1795e9-67fd-4b42-816e-4df96917

It arrived yesterday, and today I made a start. To use the Quinta Studio set there are a few of small consoles the instructions say you have to scratchbuild in order to attach the printed parts to, so I started with that.

resized_e20bc804-7dc0-4f20-8a3b-3dd1c4cd

resized_b664a28a-62cb-455d-b2ca-cdcafdd8

I've then gone about prepainting most of the interior and fiddly bits. I'd planned to just chuck this together but have ended up painting all the interior parts including the engines.

resized_5703e4cf-30e0-4172-8287-ca45e5c9

Tomorrow I can begin assembly.

resized_677ba8da-ab4b-489d-baa6-04a37aa1

• Like 11

Lovely. I just finished a 1/48 hind in Peruvian colours, It’s over in the helicopters GB. My sole problem with the type is that there are too many good colourschemes for it. Conversely try finding a scheme that isn’t green for a T55 :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

Lovely. I just finished a 1/48 hind in Peruvian colours, It’s over in the helicopters GB. My sole problem with the type is that there are too many good colourschemes for it. Conversely try finding a scheme that isn’t green for a T55 :) 

Indeed there are many attractive options for it. One could almost build up a collection like some do Bf109s, were one inclined!

7 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

One could almost build up a collection like some do Bf109s, were one inclined!

In my first modelling era I tried ( and came close) to building every mark including a H and two Avias. I’m very tempted to go again on the hind especially as the mini hobby kit I  just find shed was pretty good and can be bought off eBay for €18 including postage. But I’m also tempted to try to convert it to an a model. Probably a project for next year. That said I love the US coastguard scheme, the various tigers and the xenomorph ( but that would most definitely need a decal set which doesn’t seem to be out there) there is also a low visibility version of the Peruvian scheme which looks cool too . See spoilt for choice.

50488896943_2572e93a2e_c.jpg

My hind.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

As some know, but surely others do not, the Zvezda kit looks a bit odd at first glance:

resized_605ec09e-26f5-4326-acbc-a468c5f3

There's no need to adjust your monitor or indeed the parts. The Mi-24's fuselage is lopsided - apparently the Mil design bureau decided to tilt the whole main rotor gearbox 3 degrees to starboard to try to get the weapons on an even azimuth in normal flight to improve their accuracy in aiming. Almost all conventional/Sikorsky-configuration helicopters fly along slightly banked and/or side-slipping due to various aerodynamic idiosyncrasies. Numerous kits of the Mi-24 have either missed this subtle yet distinct quirk of its design or perhaps "corrected" what they assumed were warped plans - probably the former...

The main rotor gearbox and swashplate are quite finely detailed and are precisely moulded for 1/72. Well done Zvezda.

resized_d4c6dd91-760c-40fd-befd-d6da32dd

I'm assembling the interior parts and may yet do some detailing. I'll decide soon.

resized_8937635a-60b6-40e3-b7df-e5f919a3

resized_a0d7e6a8-f0e3-4ac8-a23a-a6469ef5

resized_4c15602b-80ab-45d2-a6dd-f6750861

• Like 5

50505331377_231f99a733_c.jpg

50500657176_fb32454228_c.jpg
Googling again and these two can get my attention. There is a decal set for the shark mouth. I’m really struck by the scheme on the super hind. That nose equipment would require a bit of work but it would look way cool next to my Peruvian version hmmm

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Numerous kits of the Mi-24 have either missed this subtle yet distinct quirk of its design or perhaps "corrected" what they assumed were warped plans - probably the former...

It’s actually quite a common thing on propeller driven aircraft where the rotation causes a moment. The Sopwith camel was notorious for turning  if the stick  was released and planes like the Supermarine walrus have the engine nacelles 10 degrees off line to compensate. It was only on with the advent contra rotating props and jets that this stopped being an issue.

Edited by Marklo

Other solutions were offset fins (Swordfish, Hurricane) or even different length wings (Macchi 202).  It was a growing problem in the mid-40s where sufficient aerodynamic difference to cope with high power/low speed (eg carrier wave-offs) would create excessive trim loads at high speed.  Hence the adoption of the contra-props on the Seafire 47.

• Thanks 1

This is a superb little kit which I adore, along with the new 48th boxing, so it will be great to see this proceeding in your skilled hands Jamie.

A you say, it is the only kit to feature 2 30 deg slant of the entire fuselage with the rotor head and gearbox  to correct handling issues, the cockpit section and floor remained 'centred' for crew comfort and accuracy reasons.

40499722195_95c1479324_b.jpgHind 2 1/2 degree fuselage lean by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These Quinta bits turned out to be really easy to use. I squirted a blob of PVA and a blob of medium CA (I use Zap green label) onto a butter tub lid and had two halves of a cocktail stick handy. I applied PVA blobs first because I had no idea how long the 3D decals would need in water to release:

resized_2c2b01ea-e8a0-4830-b8c0-7e24ee2c

It turns out they are free from the backing paper within about 10 seconds (even the larger ones). I used my favourite needle-nosed tweezers to pick them up and apply them, where they stayed. It's as easy as that.

resized_9109a51b-1343-4525-95fe-d815a4aa

resized_0677695e-8290-4fd3-b67f-ce8e364e

resized_5aed47f6-7f60-4db2-aa52-4012f68f

For the seatbelts I changed to the CA, first applying a dot of glue to the side of the seat where the belt is attached to it, then offering up the belts:

resized_01a44a58-e04a-4728-a6a9-422d26e3

It's worth noting that the Quinta Studio parts are 3D printed in a vinyl material which makes them somewhat flexible once wetted and released from the backing paper, and quite unlike pre-painted PE they are coloured the whole depth. When bent to shape, which the belts in particular do most willingly, the colour doesn't all flake off like Eduard pre-painted steel belts. I really like these things a lot! Next I offered up a little smear of CA to the 'down' side of the belts and manipulated them to where I wanted them to sit with my tweezers. Super easy to do. I'm impressed!

resized_df80510d-b062-45db-88ee-f1051457

resized_7afcf28a-bfe7-41de-bbad-27ea0015

These photographs are brutal, and remind me why I don't do 1/72 normally. It looks better in person - honestly!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

These photographs are brutal, and remind me why I don't do 1/72 normally. It looks better in person - honestly!

The bane and the upside of digital photography sometimes terrible stuff looks great and good stuff looks terrible. I use my iPhone( it’s only a 7) as I’m too lazy to break out a real camera ( we have three including a nice Nikon) and also don’t really have easy access to a functional pc atm. And it doesn’t do fine detail well and tends to make things look grainy.

That said the office looks pretty good to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The Mi-24's fuselage is lopsided

That's fascinating. I never appreciated that. @71chally's grid lines in the above picture show it very clearly also. You love and learn!

Great start Jamie, I'll follow along with this.

Terry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

**EDIT** - Is this is a CGI picture? 

Afaik it’s real.

50506029137_00c02c9def_c.jpg

This image looks a bit more natural 

50505868111_db35fbb9c2_c.jpgBut there also this still pretty striking and definitely real.

Apologies  if I’m hi jacking  the thread. Last piece of info Hasegawa do the top version in 1/72 they also  do a UAV and a regular hind in the same scale. Lots on eBay.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

These 3D-printed decals looks far better than the Eduard’s dot-painted etch. Good progress, Jamie! 👍

They're certainly much faster and easier to use than assembling layers of photoetch and repainting them when the paint falls off! :D

• Like 2

A couple of nice little turboshaft engines happened:

resized_700c6d6d-e18e-4d13-9327-f8843cdb

Then the troop cabin was assembled. Everything fit nicely and there were no dramas to write home about.

resized_35bf4c34-398c-4f87-bd14-fd1e4de4

Once the cabin roof went on the engines were installed, which each plugs nicely into the main rotor gearbox through their clutch assemblies.

resized_feb113fc-6e9b-4f17-b53a-a2989cf3

I gave it a wash using some Tamiya "oil stain" weathering powder mixed with some Milk SubstituteTM which works well and certainly better than water and is much safer than using hydrocarbons when you've just used enamels or Alclad and have zero intention of waiting for full cure.

resized_0265f392-db40-4801-a92a-87ff3548

I noticed there was a bit of damage to the tail pylon on one half, but rather than do anything I'd struggle to undo and later regret doing that which I cannot undo, I left it alone to see what happened when it was mated to its opposite half.

resized_b9f215ac-cf5d-4118-98d8-eef84f9a

Around here~ish I checked the instructions again to be sure then proceeded to close up the fuselage.

resized_a36aff87-2252-43c8-8bc8-e768766e

It needs a bit of tape to hold it together around that relatively complicated (for a 1/72 model) interior but everything does actually contact where it's supposed to.

resized_002b8079-c54a-4ce9-bd01-6123ab4d

The bottom and sides of the nose were added. The bottom was added using styrene cement but the sides looked like they would put up an amount of resistance so I CA'd them on. Now that the pilot's instrument panel is in the cockpit looks the business (relative to my relative inexperience with building 1/72 which doesn't end in "painting" by dipping it in a can of Humbrol 30).

resized_58614432-0260-49b6-8440-54a5ab53

resized_42484fd2-8227-4e96-b8fa-843d16cb

resized_ba7f1c37-01bc-4eef-af45-6a697613

I'm quite enjoying Zvezda's little Hind. I toyed with buying it in 1/48, but it's literally a scaled up 1/72 which everyone thinks is all that's needed but when you see it, it clearly isn't. What's just right in 1/72 is patently not good enough in 1/48. Also, it would have cost over twice as much and taken sooooo much longer to build because the riveting tools etc would all come out for the 1/48 kit. Plus, it will go nicely with the Hip that @Stew Dapple gave me last Scottish Nationals at Perth.

resized_ec38279f-bbd1-4026-9671-e4349ce0

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

50505331377_231f99a733_c.jpg

I would say that is CGI picture as @lesthegringo seemed to think. Take a close look at the scenery .............!

30 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

resized_feb113fc-6e9b-4f17-b53a-a2989cf3

Your Hind is coming along spectacularly Jamie. Love that shot showing the three major detail areas.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm pretty certain the snow camouflaged Hind is from a flight sim game.

The landscape in the lower left area does look like a texture map alright. Hmm

I have found a hasegawa. boxing with that scheme. Says it’s Bulgarian. That would make me think it’s real even if that shot is cgi. That said I’ve only found three shots, the (possibly) cgi one, the box art and the other one I posted.

Lots of images of the apricot and dark gray hind

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm sure the aircraft is real alright. It's just that someone's liked it enough to 3D model and texture map it for a sim, which is understandable

I’d be inclined to agree, mostly because I’d be surprised at Hasegawa releasing a fictional scheme. Still would be nice to get a few more images of it.

• Like 1

The image of '68-92' is a computor generated Flight Sim grab in a fictional scheme.

However, the type is the ATE 'Super Hind' Mks 1 to 4, a South African development of the Mil Hind, this was a limited conversion scheme  (around 50 airframes) made to standard Hinds, the idea being to upgrade sighting optics, weaponry, and the cockpit.

The grey and white one in the photo is the Owl, a one off conversion of a Hind by ATE, and Liconex with Thales equipment.

• Like 1