Colour of bombs in SEAC 1944/45

cherisy

Hi

Can anyone tell me what colour RAF bombs were in the Burma theatre in 44/45?  I'm putting a pair of 250 pounders on a Revell Hurricane IIc and the few photos I can find online indicate a buff colour used earlier in the war. Can anyone provide a definitive  answer?

Thanks in advance 

If it has the buff colour then they are probably the streamlined prewar 250lb bombs with the cylindrical tails.   Wartime bombs would be in Deep Bronze Green.  Most wartime production was of the stockier bomb shape without the cylindrical tail, but whether 250lb were produced to the later shape I don't know.  I have seen photos of examples of these prewar bombs in a mix of buff and green, presumably part pre war and part wartime production. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

If it has the buff colour then they are probably the streamlined prewar 250lb bombs with the cylindrical tails.   Wartime bombs would be in Deep Bronze Green.  Most wartime production was of the stockier bomb shape without the cylindrical tail, but whether 250lb were produced to the later shape I don't know.  I have seen photos of examples of these prewar bombs in a mix of buff and green, presumably part pre war and part wartime production. 

My bad. I should have been more specific. All the photos I've found of hurricanes carrying in Burma have been the earlier GP type  not the later MC seen in Bomber command 

It's hard to tell from B&W photos, but I'd say Bronze Green.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.187594528.9678335

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.186187681.9678335

This one is harder. I would guess the bombs might be a very dirty and worn bronze green fitted with brand-new, just out of the box tail fins.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.18955440.96783359

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

This one is harder. I would guess the bombs might be a very dirty and worn bronze green fitted with brand-new, just out of the box tail fins.

Chris

The top picture is a GP bomb, the bottom picture shows MC bombs. They would be DBG no other colour was permitted  at this time.  I suggest this picture is  Othographic film and the tails are buff coloured.

Selwyn

See my post below in relation to the No 2 tail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Sounds like a question for our @Selwyn!

Mike

The 250lb GP bomb (Teardrop shaped) was superceded by the 250lb MC (Parrallel sided)  The GP bombs were originally buff coloured then later Deep Bronze Green. the MC bombs were DBG. both used the same No 2 tail unit so you could possibly see a MC bomb with a Buff coloured tail unit.

The MC bomb was far more effective than the GP, just on the basis that the GP had a Charge Weight Ratio of 29% (CWR is the  weight of explosive in the bomb expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the bomb). The MC had a CWR of 50%!

Selwyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

I suggest this picture is  Othographic film and the tails are buff coloured.

If that was the case, the prop tips would appear very dark,  but they are clearly visible.  perhaps new tail on on faded or dusty bombs?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

The 250lb GP bomb (Teardrop shaped) was superceded by the 250lb MC (Parrallel sided)  The GP bombs were originally buff coloured then later Deep Bronze Green. the MC bombs were DBG. both used the same No 2 tail unit so you could possibly see a MC bomb with a Buff coloured tail unit.

The MC bomb was far more effective than the GP, just on the basis that the GP had a Charge Weight Ratio of 29% (CWR is the  weight of explosive in the bomb expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the bomb). The MC had a CWR of 50%!

Selwyn

Like this.

26399025878_42fc63ba96_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

If that was the case, the prop tips would appear very dark,  but they are clearly visible.  perhaps new tail on on faded or dusty bombs?

Possible! Without the benefit of a colour pic I could only speculate. Also the tails might be red. They were painted red if a long delay was set on the bomb, personally I cant see why in this case as these  aircraft were normally used for tactical support, and a long delay would probably not be appropriate for that, but who knows?

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The top picture is a GP bomb, the bottom picture shows MC bombs. They would be DBG no other colour was permitted  at this time.  I suggest this picture is  Othographic film and the tails are buff coloured.

Selwyn

See my post below in relation to the No 2 tail.

Good point Selwyn I had forgotten about Orthagraphic film changing hues. Having said that the casing looks lighter than the dark green on the fuselage . What do you think?

23 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

Nice one Chris, Mind you what about the dark green on the fuselage? It seems darker than the casing

Actually, the bomb color is a matter of weathering techniques.

No matter which color, all bombs surfaces had some irritaton from handling and storage.

Bombs are not in uniform color. As the wonderful color picture tell.

Take time to weather each bomb!

I did this mistake also, generaly after having seen bombs in museums.

It is totaly different from todays weapons.

Today iron bombs in Israel are like WWII bombs. Just something!

Happy modelling

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dov said:

Actually, the bomb color is a matter of weathering techniques.

No matter which color, all bombs surfaces had some irritaton from handling and storage.

Bombs are not in uniform color. As the wonderful color picture tell.

Take time to weather each bomb!

I did this mistake also, generaly after having seen bombs in museums.

It is totaly different from todays weapons.

Today iron bombs in Israel are like WWII bombs. Just something!

Happy modelling

I agree in general what you are saying but you must think in the context the bombs are being used.

In bomber command they used a lot of bombs in the offensive against Germany, there was always a shortage of bombs, so the bombs  were turned over quite quickly, they didn't sit in storage very long, so obviously not a lot of weathering occurred.

The reason bombs went green was that the buff bombs  stood out on PR photos in standard RAF open storage, most of the FAA bombs were kept in covered storage and didn't get the quick rush job repainting like RAF bombs,  (think storage in the "Rock of Gibraltar caves?") .

On aircraft carriers the bombs are in ships magazines so don't weather at all, also the buff coloured bombs lasted longer, the FAA did not drop vast amounts of bombs compared to the RAF so buff bombs were seen on FAA much later than on RAF aircraft.

On tactical aircraft in the desert or such like Bombs were "Dumped" anywhere suitable, and would get very weathered very quickly. conversely the tail units would be in crates so would not badly weathered.

Lots of scope there for the accuracy brigade, I would personally  refer to photos as a general guide!

Selwyn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How the main body of bombs got so ratty looking. The fins were stored separately, in boxes and weren't fitted until just before loading into/unto the aircraft.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.189753708.6924364

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1