Ideas for what to do with my first couple of model cars

Chris8039

Ok so my first couple of car models are not great, coupled with that the first one was dropped and ended up fairly bashed up. My thought is to turn them both into a diorama of a car crash, has anyone done anything similar and is it something I'll need a lot more experience to make look realistic? I've recently come back to modelling after dabbling as a kid, I've found the plastic models enjoyable, but if I'm honest I'm not happy with the end result, I've looked through some of the pictures on the diorama forum of fellow modellers who have built models of say a barn find vehicles, I'd love to do something along those lines or a junkyard/car crash scene, I'm guessing I'm going to need a lot more experience first.

Upon re-reading this I notice I mention dioramas quite a lot, although I think that will be a few models time, even if I could just do a car crash scene to start, is it awkward to manipulate the models to look effectively accident damaged, I also absolutely love the weathering rusty looks but imagine its a fairly difficult thing to make it look realistic.

It's not easy to create convincing crash damage, and as good as impossible without replacing the kit parts and panels with thinner, easily deformable materials.  I would have pointed you to the pinned thread at the top of this section, but the original photos are gone and the link to the SA article is dead following the demise of that forum, so the thread no longer serves any purpose...  🤔

If I were you, I would either (a) keep them as a reference for how far you've progressed with later models, or (b) dismantle, strip paint and attempt to do a better job second time around (as some of us do buying old built ups from Ebay and elsewhere).

Edited by Six97s

I'd second keeping them as a guide to how far you have progressed when you look at them in a couple of years time.

Equally, they're nothing to be ashamed of. First of all, everyone starts somewhere, and I can guarantee that they will be better some of the kits I did when I was young. Secondly, and something which is always worth bearing in mind, the kit will always look worse to you than to someone else looking at it because you have spent a good amount of time looking very closely at it and are aware of every single defect - it's the same principle as the "20 foot car" in real life whereby a car which looks great from 20 feet away looks terrible when you get up close and see all the little blemishes.

Fellow newbie here 

+1  on keeping them  so you can look back ,but if you’ve got a broken one have a go at simulating some damage see what happens

not particularly happy with any I’ve built so far but there all on the shelf on display

as for rusting just have a go I did a Chevy pickup not brilliant but I enjoyed the build that’s the main thing