Are you a neat and tidy builder?

I've been having a couple of those listless days when I can't motivate myself to do some actual modelling, so to at least do something I tried to tidy up my work area. It's a nice big glass topped table in a conservatory with plenty of area to keep everything, but I am always wondering just how come I am able to turn a nice organised work area into an utter disaster area with tools , paint, supplies, bits of model and other 'stuff' strewn absolutely higgledy piggledy over the entire area in a matter of minutes. You must know it - you put down a tool or part that can't conceivably get lost due to how big it is, and you are still able to lose it.

I like tidy. I have proper racks to put paint, tools, stuff in. So how come I am utterly unable to use them while I am modelling? I do pretty well considering and don't have as many accidents as you would imagine I would, but there is some little bit of me that goes on holiday when I am doing stuff like modelling that leaves my work area a perpetual mess. Don't bother asking for photo's it's too embarrassing.

I would love to be able to tap in to whatever those guys you see in the online videos are able to that mean they have neat, organised work areas with good space for WIP stuff, despite having a far smaller working area than I have. If you are one of them, how do you do it?

Les

• Like 4

I try to be tidy, but I always fail. I have a large workbench, but always seem to end up working at the very front edge of it!

Since investing in some EBMA storage units, though, I’ve tried to be more disciplined about putting tools away at the end of a session.

• Like 1

As it happens I was just giving my work area a bit of a tidy - yes, I'm a very messy worker (one reason why I'm not keen in doing a WIP!) I do have a place for everything, but things tend to not end up back in their place, but remain on the workbench.

One element of discipline I have recently introduced - I do not allow myself to start a new kit until I have done a thorough clean up!

cheers,

colin

of course I'm a tidy builder. My modelling desk is always organised and tidy

In my dreams

I just spent 30 minutes tidying it so I could actually get space to make a few things

Like ckw above. I do a clear up just before I start a new build - note; that its before a new build and not after one is done!

I always tidy up at the end of a session -- purely in self-defense -- but while I'm actually working, it always seems to look like a bomb hit. There's no point in putting something back in its place if you'll need it again moments later...and then you move on, and it's forgotten...and lost, the next time you go looking for it!

I probably fall somewhere in the middle I utilize two benches so I can spread out a little.

20201001-084621.jpg

20201001-084609.jpg

• Like 3

Perhaps in the creative process, we take order, a kit in a box say or a lump of wood, plastic or metal, turn it into chaos and then, selecting or forming the correct components, create order from that chaos.

So, the mess is simply how we create.

This is probably complete tosh and we are just sloppy.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No. I'm terrible. I really try, but it just becomes chaos, nothing ever seems to be where I need it to be and I'm always knocking stuff over.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

Yes and no. Whenever I'm building anything, my bench tends to get cluttered quite quickly, but I always make sure that my workspace in tidied up at the end of the session, so that when I return, I'm starting off with a clean bench every time.

As I get older, I find that I'm getting more and more OCD about this.

I am basically an untidy modeller. My workspace gets a mess and then I get annoyed with myself and tidy it all up and start again. I think if I had a bigger space I would be no better. Not so much a case of putting things away, but more having things to had at certain stages of a project (well, that is my excuse!) 

Well my bench is very tidy ....at least once a year🥴 but it changes into a mess in a very short time ....

Stopped worrying about it as it simply won’t help! I am learning to live with it🤫

cheers, Jan

• Haha 1

The comment about having more space is relevant; if you give me more space, I make a mess over a greater area.

To quote the late, great Terry Pratchett, I use the FAS filing system. For those that don't partake of Terry's wonderful humour, FAS stands for 'First Available Space'

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, lesthegringo said:

The comment about having more space is relevant; if you give me more space, I make a mess over a greater area.

There's a regular poster on another forum who observes that no matter how large and elaborate the bench/storage area available to a modeler...the actual work area will be the same 2' x 2' sliver. Seems pretty much to hold true.

• Like 4

I am so messy it is embarassing. But as I am using the dining table as my modelling bench , I have to tidy it up when my children come over at the week end. So it gets tidied up regularly. That's my trade off for the mess the rest of the time.

Philippe

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thorfinn said:

There's a regular poster on another forum who observes that no matter how large and elaborate the bench/storage area available to a modeler...the actual work area will be the same 2' x 2' sliver. Seems pretty much to hold true.

....ahem, like this :

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
9 hours ago, Chimpion said:

....ahem, like this :

spacer.png

Now THAT'S more like it

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

"Neat"? "Organised"? "Tidy"? What are these words?

Clearly we have the same edition of the dictionary

9 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I've just asked SWMBO if I am a tidy modeller. She fell off the chair laughing.

That's a no, then.

I wouldn't have the courage to ask my wife that question, her response would not be as pleasant - and probably more physical

Les

• Sad 1

If I am doing a scratchbuild, my working area is kept reasonably clear and tidy, especially if the build is a big one.  In this case, the build became a useful place to model ON:

spacer.png

With manufacturer's kits I tend to have a few on the go at one time and they end up piled up on top of each other and finding tools can be a problem. That is why I have multiple sets of tools and when I run out, it is time to tidy up! I also use Heya Jigsaw Sorting Trays to keep kit bits safe on the desktop and they can be stacked and stored quite easily:

spacer.png

As each kit is finished I do a complete tidy up but the organised chaos resumes pretty quickly.

Dave

• Like 1

I am reasonably tidy now. I use to enthusiastically dive into a kit and build a pile of tools, paint and plastic gradually working on less and less of the cutting mat. I now work a little differently.

A few things improved my tidiness: limited space, one kit at a time, keeping the key tools at my right hand (I'm right handed) they tend to go back in their tray, everything reachable and where I know it is, and, importantly, wanting to be able to leave a build and come back and easily pick up where I was at.  I now find this a much more enjoyable build experience. For example a clear work area made the multi-part MiniArt track assembly really not that bad over the weekend. Just jump in and out as needed.

I am always looking for the ultimate tool container for what I need. You can see a variety of different trays and containers. Everything has a spot and easily accessible.

workbench_2

I have a separate air brush area so it does not clutter the bench. 

workbench_1

Because the paints being used tends to build up on both benches, I keep everything together in a working tray of paints relevant to the current build. Colours I need I add as I go.  I'm not hunting for it or cluttering the bench. Easy to put away at the end of the build.

workbench_3

These are the few things I do to work reasonably tidy

Ray 

• Like 1

Am I a neat and tidy builder? No and No. I wish I was. To be honest, the only thing neat and tidy (relatively speaking) is The Stash. Maybe I need some motivation to clean things up*, but that's quite hard at the moment, living by myself, with no visitors for God knows how long due to You Know What-19.

*And not just on the modelling front.

• Like 1

Yes.

Clean as I go and also clean up/put away when ending the session.

There's also a battery vacuum cleaner to hoover the bench space after a sanding session.

As the saying goes "junk will expand to fill the space provided for it".;)

• Like 1

No.

50510597263_d17b9ca6b9_z.jpg

I'm building a B-52 on a tray on my knees in here.

IanJ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1