Cockpit glass

dov

Hallo

Two issues that become striking with every jet:

The glass tint and the seal. It doesn't matter which jet we're looking at, whether it's American, British or Russian.

The tint, especially of the front windows and the seals, both in the fixed glass area and in the movable glass area. In addition, if we look at machines in museums, the discoloration due to aging has to be taken into account. This applies above even to all machines from World War II. It is much more evident in helicopters, for example the famous Bell Huey. Even with the propeller planes, it is the Piper Cub that had the roof window tinted in green.

How is this topic treated by us in modelling and how is this topic addressed by our manufacturers. These are actually the basic questions.

What is your level of knowledge and how do you achieve the goal of a good representation of reality in model making?

Here are some pictures to underline my request.

Have a nice day,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy Modelling

Tamiya do a range of 'clear' colours that are useful if used judiciously. I use them for the blue and green tints on chopper canopies. You do have to be careful if brushing as they can be streaky if not not thinned with some Flow Improver. The more coats the darker the tint becomes. By painting in the inside the plastic gives a coating that improves the look rather than painting the exterior. However, I would blanch at trying to get that metallic smoke shade of modern jets. I know some kit manufacturers, especially of F-35s provide a tinted canopy. 

The thing is, after spending hundreds of days in hangars or on airports, for hobby or military bases, I had to notice that nearly every cockpit has some tint. Some strong, some less. Some easy to notice, some hard to find out. Depending on angle of your position and the sun. In a museum usually it is easy to be overlooked.

On the other hand, we have the seal. Today few masks producers handle this subject. Like New Ware and Montex. No other company I know.

In reality, the seals are sometimes so strong determining the outlook of an a/c. So, to ignore it looks awful and toy like. Take a Prowler!

So, I would be glad to get responses, on how you dread this matter!

Happy modelling