Destroyer ORP Burza, 1943, 1/400, Mirage

JWM

Hi,

This is my first model of ship since 50 years. I am doing only airplanes in 1/72, but my grandson Antek (8 yr) asked me to do a ship for him. At start we did some work together, but then due to lock down etc. I finished her already alone and today I am going to give her to him... 

ORP Burza was a French build Polish WW2 times destroyer, her brief history is here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Burza  .

Model is in a bit strange scale 1/400 by Mirage, for me as airplane modeler I found it not very easy to build. For sure I suffer lack of wings... :)

The decals were horrible, but I was aware about it.  However, despite my effort to strength them before application  with extra cover of varnish they broke apart etc. What in case of banners was a real problem. 

Here she is:

50500958167_381d247107_b.jpg

50500958257_9161d4cf17_b.jpg

50500958382_65d1bdc89c_b.jpg

50500958492_e3b63700b1_b.jpg

50500958607_6f95f010e1_b.jpg

I have found nice individual display cabinet for her in a Scandinavian network shop (but not that one, which is the most popular)

50500958797_d16304bdf7_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 22

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a pity that this older polish models of ships wasn't produced in 1/350 scale. Four stackers destroyers, Burza and Blyskawica familys of destroyers (all produced by Mirage Hobby) are 1/400 scale - familiar to Heller' warship models. And even older model of polish liner Batory - I think 1/500.

Despite these models are rather basic, they could be still nice base for interesting, beauty and original modelling subject. But today most modellers making 1/350 or 1/700 (I'm not exception)!

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

Great fan of the Mirage 1/400 ships, which -- though challenging in many ways, due to plastic quality and sometimes mystifying design issues -- build up to impressively tidy models.

Your Burza is just plain gorgeous! [It's one I have, but haven't built yet, in favor of their multiple versions of the WW1-era 'four stacker' destroyers.]

Excellent job all-round, and the display case sets it off beautifully! I'm sure Antek will be thrilled!

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, socjo1 said:

It's a pity that this older polish models of ships wasn't produced in 1/350 scale. Four stackers destroyers, Burza and Blyskawica familys of destroyers (all produced by Mirage Hobby) are 1/400 scale - familiar to Heller' warship models. And even older model of polish liner Batory - I think 1/500.

Despite these models are rather basic, they could be still nice base for interesting, beauty and original modelling subject. But today most modellers making 1/350 or 1/700 (I'm not exception)!

Indeed, the politics about the ship scales by Mirage was perhaps a bit out of reality, it was almost as bad as if instead of 1/48 some company will do airplane model in 1/50 (this scale models were on market some 50 years ago in some countries...) . The world wide sell of it simply drops by high factor :( 

3 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Great fan of the Mirage 1/400 ships, which -- though challenging in many ways, due to plastic quality and sometimes mystifying design issues -- build up to impressively tidy models.

Your Burza is just plain gorgeous! [It's one I have, but haven't built yet, in favor of their multiple versions of the WW1-era 'four stacker' destroyers.]

Excellent job all-round, and the display case sets it off beautifully! I'm sure Antek will be thrilled!

Cheers

Thank you so much. In fact I was surprised, that with more then 50 years experience in airplanes build I have some difficulties here - there is some kind of specific problems which face with other kind of model, for example I did not introduced any weathering here...

Anyway, Antek was happy to get it! :) 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...