Y-Wing Gold 3 and Evaan Verlaine

Hi Everyone, this is something I've been working on as part of a bigger project to cover the (rather neglected) female pilots of the Star Wars OT era. Each project will have a craft and figure. For those of you that don't know, when they were made, ANH and ESB had no female pilots, but ROTJ was supposed to have them. They even shot video of three, but apparently test screenings of ROTJ with them in got negative comments about women in combat (this was 1983) so they took them out. Except one - an A-Wing pilot called Sila Kott who you can glimpse for a second before her death. But they over-dubbed her with a male voice! Of course, films like Rogue 1 and Book and Graphic Novels have since put matters right, but so far despite all the alterations, ROTJ is still female pilot free - although you can see them in the briefing room scene if you look very carefully. 

The first pilot I have done is Evaan Verlaine. She was the pilot of Y-Wing Gold 3 during the Death Star attack in ANH. You can see her craft at the very end just as the Death Star is about to blow along with Luke, Wedge and the Millennium Falcon. This is a canon retcon based on the Leia Graphic Novel (in Legends this pilot is Keyan Farlander). To create Evaan and Gold 3 I used the FineMolds 1:72 Y-Wing and a custom based on the Black Series 6" Luke Skywalker.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Evaan Verlaine

So far Evaan Verlaine has only been visualised in comic book form (in the graphic novel Princess Leia). The base for her figure is the 6" Black Series Luke Skywalker. All of the figure (apart from the chest box) has been repainted using Vallejo acrylics, using wet-blending, glazes and other interesting techniques I learned on YouTube. Her helmet is based on the supposed official one, but that is exactly the same as Blue Leader Antoc Merrick (in Rogue 1) so I made the alliance symbols Gold to make it different. Her head is 3D printed (using Shapeways) based on one I created using FaceGen ArtistDAZ Studio and 3DS Max. So who is she based on? Well officially there is only the graphic novel,  however, there is a female cosplayer who thinks they may have based Evaan on her! I think she might have something, so the head is based on her.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Y-Wing

The main feature of Y-Wings is their beat-up Clone Wars era nature. To re-create that I initially sprayed the whole thing silver, then went round with maskol covering up places that would get worn or places damaged by attacks. A coat of FS36622 from Mr Hobby went over the top followed by rust for the pipe work. There is no accepted scheme for Gold 3 AFAIK, although due to script changes, Gold 5 has squadron markings that indicate Gold 3 (the cockpit stripes). So I just used a bit of artistic license and made it look as I wanted - I'm not a fan of the overuse of blue on the cockpit and engine pods so I made it as subtle as I could. Worn areas were left silver, but any battle damage areas were edged in black to simulate paint singeing. The whole thing was washed with Tamiya Panel line Dark Grey and a small amount of dry brushing of dirt was done. Ten points for anyone who can ID the R2 unit. This isn't canon (yet) but you never know!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The next pair in the series will be TIE/Ln and Iden Versio from Battlefront.

Thanks for looking 🙂

Chris

• Like 31

1 hour ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Love it, the weathering is amazing, and nice inclusion of R2-KT as well :)

Ten points that man! 

I am currently making an R2-KT to go with Evaan from a slightly battered R2-D2 on Dagobah I picked up from eBay. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, Gazontipede said:

Very nice indeed!

So who was the Y-Wing pilot depicted in Rogue One attacking the Star Destroyer? "Ion torpedoes away!"

I'm pretty sure she's not the same pilot.

Well Evaan was at the Battle of Scariff, but the pilot you are talking about is Wona Goban I think?

5 hours ago, fernwood79 said:

Well Evaan was at the Battle of Scariff, but the pilot you are talking about is Wona Goban I think?

Thanks for the link, yes that would be her!

Wow. They've got backstory for everything there.

Oh, and to re-iterate, as I was understating more than a little in my first post, the Y-Wing and Evaan figure you've done there are absolutely awesome😎

• Like 1