Wumm's FW-190

GRK

Hello all

I finished this one yesterday, Eduard's FW-190 A4 shown as one flown by Siegfried 'Wumm' Schnell in Jan 1943. I was pleased with how this one went together and with the amount of surface detail, quite a big difference after my last two builds (Airfix Hurricane and Tamiya Spitfire Mk1s). I added more detail into the engine but this is covered up by the 'fan' behind the propeller- I know its there...

This is largely painted using MRP paints which spray very well, I'm a definite convert, and certainly made the mottling easier. I also got a lot of silvering on the top crosses so took them off and painted them on instead- they do look better painted but not too keen on wanting to repeat that masking process! I've kept the weathering light as all the pictures of Wumm's plane show it to be very clean. A flory wash and some oils were the main of it but I did try splattering some un thinned matt varnish over certain areas to try and help simulate fading. I think this has worked well in some areas but now I've seen the close up pictures is maybe a bit heavy in some areas! 

Overall I think I'm making progress and each model is better than the last so looking forward to next in line which is the Tiffe Italeri/Hasegawa re-boxing. 

Thanks for looking.

To prove that a little work went into the engine ;) 

IMG_2045

IMG_2046

IMG_6167

IMG_6163

IMG_6166

IMG_6165

IMG_6168

IMG_6170

IMG_6172

IMG_6174

IMG_6181

Capture

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

A superb FW 190. Everything looks just right – the restrained but effective weathering, the painted markings.

An impressive lesson in modelling for realism!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Well said and I couldn't agree more. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Outstanding!! Very nicely done indeed!

Miguel

3 hours ago, Parabat said:

Great looking 190, beautifully finished.

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Wow!!!!!!  What a great addition to your collection.  I like it!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

30 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

A brilliant 190. I like your paint and weathering work a lot

19 minutes ago, Ron Pearcy said:

Amazing build,the cockpit is awesome. 

Thank you all for the kind words. 

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

A superb FW 190. Everything looks just right – the restrained but effective weathering, the painted markings.

An impressive lesson in modelling for realism!

Kind regards,

Joachim

38 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Well said and I couldn't agree more. 

Thanks both, glad you think it looks about right. I always wonder if I should be spending more time on the weathering stage as that's the bit I look forward to the most, but when I get round to it I'm done in a couple of hours (of work time). Its pretty hard to pull away and stick that last coat of varnish on. Whereas the decaling can't be done quick enough- the eagle eyed among you will notice I've skipped some of the smaller stencils! 

1 hour ago, GRK said:

Whereas the decaling can't be done quick enough- the eagle eyed among you will notice I've skipped some of the smaller stencils! 

Decaling isn't one of my favorite activities either. I tend, in most cases, to avoid stencils though if the basic scheme is rather plain, I add a few stencils here and there to add some life to the model.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 16:39, RMCS said:

Stunning 

On 20/10/2020 at 16:56, IanC said:

Stunning indeed.

7 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Wonderful Wurger, a truly great build and finish !

Wulfman

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Very nicely done indeed.👍

Thanks all! Thanks for looking in. 

On 21/10/2020 at 22:05, PlaStix said:

Wow!! That's impressive with very beautifully done details!! :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards, 

Stix

On 22/10/2020 at 07:34, wellsprop said:

Stunning! Superb job on the paint and weathering :)

thanks both. Pretty chuffed with this one. Onwards and upwards hopefully!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nachtwulf said:

Fabulous paint work! I will be referring to your build in the hope that mine turns out half as good! :worthy:

thanks, the website is great for that! I’m using several builds on here to help me through the typhoon I’m on with now. Good to think that this one has provided a bit of inspiration, I’ll keep an eye out for it when it’s done