RAF RC-135W Airseeker aerial layout

rodenlee

Hi all

I have a built USAF RC-135V that I'm keen to convert to an RAF Airseeker.  I have the new engines and have bought some decals and am now looking for as much detail as I can find on the aerial layout.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun

The three airframes operated by 51 Squadron are identical to the US Air Force's current RC-135Ws and are still referred to as RC-135W: Airseeker was the name of the RAF's programme to bring the type into service.

A good starting point might be to look at some of the photographs posted on Airliners.net or Fighter Control to see how the aerial layout has changed between the current version and your RC-135V; unfortunately one alteration I think you might have to make is to change the profile of the hamster cheek antenna which are slimmer on the current version. 

• Like 1

Hi Richard

Good advice-thank you.

I live in hope of finding a Combat Models conversion at some point but they seem to be hard to come by...I guess I'm a bit too late to the party!

Shaun,

I think the antennae fit on the current RC-135W Rivet Joints as used by both USAF 55 RW and 51 Sqn RAF has changed significantly since AMT issued their 1/72 RC-135V back in the early 90s. Here's a pic I took of ZZ664 back in 2014 which gives an idea of the profusion of underside aerials.

484a_edited_2(1).jpg

Good luck with your update.

Mark

• Like 2

Yes, that's a great reference pic.  Also, the cheek blisters are different from the AMT kit.  Mill Creek Productions used to make the updated ones, but even these need some minor updating.  Combat Conversions | No. CC72-009 | 1:72 makes a conversion set for the Air Seeker, but I've never had a set so cannot attest to its quality.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I have sourced a Combat Conversions Airseeker conversion with some beautiful decals so will begin dismantling my AMT RC-135V in anticipation...

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

If I may ask, where did you find it?  After making the suggestion, I really felt bad for myself, because I couldn't find any retailer selling one currently!

I found it on Ebay...and some beautiful 1/72 RAF Sentry decals by the same manufacturer...just sorted my own Christmas present!

• Thanks 1