1/18 Hawker Fury

thanks guys :)

been a bit busy on the Fury - much of what I started to do has been binned and remade, so while you have seen this, you haven't seen the accurate version :)

..first I remade the tubular framework with squared joints which was a way Hawker managed to joint tubes in this way..  here also some of the brackets are being added (with dummy ali tubes) that support the control stick / rudder pedal assembly..

rbPAir.jpg

..checking the alignment again by putting both side frames together..this is crucial for everything to be true & square..

iVI11y.jpg

evCKHx.jpg

..also made up the fuel tank from a pen lid covered in litho sheet..

FLZyuC.jpg

..getting the right positioning of the mounting brackets..

063fzQ.jpg

..then the seat - this was remade from drawings using sheet litho...

t9Y9Fy.jpg

QF0enT.jpg

..then the addition of some detail parts - PPD turned around the PE in 5 days (for a premium ), they are amazing, but they did it in brass not nickel silver by mistake so while they re-do it I can use the brass bits on things that will be painted..

GVGIPJ.jpg

7e4biR.jpg

..the height adjustment lever is a complex contraption..

4RWGeb.jpg

..and the entire kit of parts for the seat..

laRYCg.jpg

and dry fitted ready for painting..

rPI6ir.jpg

..all the parts were primed and painted with alclad and MRP..

s6MUeo.jpg

..and the whole lot dry fitted..

VOMofd.jpg

..so, as you were, but at least now I know it's right

..probably do the rudder bar next..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 25

evening chaps :)

so, only a few pics, but this has been a lot of work...

..the rudder pedals & control assembly seen here in a lovely old ink drawing...

notice the pedestal assembly, the star control wheel assembly, the pedals & pistons... all need to be made..

VNsZtZ.jpg

..started at the bottom with the pedestal - this is just tube and tiny litho bits to look like a casting..

H310a8.jpg

..then the star wheel assembly with a PE star and some bits - the threaded rod is a watch part..

EkLRYM.jpg

..and the pedals and bar - the bar was pretty difficult - you can't see it well here but it is a complex casting I tried to copy in brass & solder... the pedals & hoops are a few PE bits but largely scratched..

NPkUhp.jpg

..and the whole lot stacked..

4r5tuM.jpg

R5ELss.jpg

E6vpIS.jpg

..starting to get closer to having the main control parts completed..

h0ph4l.jpg

..getting this into the fuselage frames and knowing when the right time to put all that together is becoming increasingly hard to determine...

until next time..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

afternoon ladies :)

Thanks so much for the encouragement :)

not so much a WIP as a status update... but I found I had got to the point I really needed a jig I could put the side frames in and out of so I could work up assemblies that go in them..

..this is just a sheet of perspex with a drawing I made from the plan stuck to it and then a bunch of hold points that hold the spar / brass front end, and then the side frames in the right place & orientation..

i had missed the side frames are canted inwards after the seat - I thought that was further back, so they were amended too...

o4t5RT.jpg

poREzMLkj

..then all the control assemblies were painted & further detailed - this is the control column..

0AKwOL.jpg

..the rudder bar - used painted masking rubber again for the covering on the hoops..

uxWItt.jpg

..the kickboard assembly was made up and this is the heart of this whole subassembly - also added some control cables & fittings from a bunch of microscopic bits..

FJ0uW5.jpg

..that lot is now cemented into this one assembly which was done while in the jig so all the reference & touchpoits align..

3kkpyH.jpg

WfsxGS.jpg

..and test fitted in the jig...

U5hTsT.jpg

4G9jKn.jpg

SmjHq1.jpg

8UQon4.jpg

..and thats it for now, going to make the triangular fuel tank and start detailing the sidewalls next

TTFN

Peter

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

evening chaps - thank you, very kind :)

so, as I said last time, I started to detail the sidewalls in which there are many bits & bobs that mainly are mini models in their own right..

starting with the R/H wall - here we have a conduit housing on the far left, a big brass ki-gas pump, a sort of pull handle on the top rail and a couple of push switches...

wBGWhG.jpg

PzNCsi.jpg

9qtDkK.jpg

..on the L/H wall a trim wheel made from laminates of 0.5mm ply, some big ratchet handle and a small lever quadrant on the top rail - there is another one on the far side of the rail not shown..

82NH7X.jpg

..and again, it's a matter of constant dry fitting in the jig to make sure everything can co-habit with everything else..

QfTC2N.jpg

8XA0Ai.jpg

gF2Lvu.jpg

8djctO.jpg

3UUPDk.jpg

00kV4c.jpg

I have to say though, I am really enjoying this build and have started to prepare for the bigger questions it will ask of me - things like vac forming the basic fuselage off a basswood master and looking at the best way to construct the wings following the Alcorn / Lee book

anyways, until next time..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 23
  • Sad 1

You've surpassed yourself this time Peter. I think that this is your best choice of subject yet. Your attention to detail is outstanding, as always and it has had me hooked from day 1.

I'm guessing that you'll be using your well honed litho plate skills on the beautiful polished metal engine panels, but I'm intrigued as to how you will be tackling the fabric coverings.

Keep up with good work. 

Chris. 

evening chaps :)

On 11/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, bigbadbadge said:

You're certainly right they are models on their own,  the switches and the trim wheel look absolutely amazing , bloomin fantastic work,  you must have a fantastic workshop.

Awestruck is what I am right now.

Chris

Thanks Chris - actually I have a pretty small, cramped desk with a mini-lathe (that is currently broken) and a mini proxxon milling machine - I just wish I had a fantastic workshop!

23 hours ago, AnticlockwisePropeller said:

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by the attention to detail in this! What a phenominal build!

Are you planning to hook up the control surfaces to the stick/pedals? Or will they be fixed in position?

Thank you very much - all the wiring will be display only - there is no way I am going to even try and make things like control surfaces work!

17 hours ago, cngaero said:

You've surpassed yourself this time Peter. I think that this is your best choice of subject yet. Your attention to detail is outstanding, as always and it has had me hooked from day 1.

I'm guessing that you'll be using your well honed litho plate skills on the beautiful polished metal engine panels, but I'm intrigued as to how you will be tackling the fabric coverings.

Keep up with good work. 

Chris. 

Many thanks Chris - I am also intrigued about the fabric :) I have yet to solve it, but have ruled out tissue/dope and iron on RC materials - so will have to figure it out when I get there..

anyways... .still bimbling along on the Fury - got a good bit of time this weekend so thought I would at least start the panel..

..pressed metal, silver painted, wierd gizmo's either side of the upper central part and quite an interesting shape - basically it occupies the only remaing space looking forwards and allowing for the gun breeches... long before any sense of order or anything like a blind flying panel..

M4SBHy.jpg

..I have made up the decal sheet for the model & this is with Ray at Fantasy with my pending airscale restock order...

EW0dyn.jpg

..I started by adding plastic strip to the back of the PE panel to make it look like a pressing...

I1ek9N.jpg

..also made up the wierd gizmo thing that sits behind the top out of kits of tiny PE parts...

DGD8CV.jpg

..then painted it & added all the pre-painted bezels - also glazed some but will wait for the decals before doing the coloured (blue / yellow) bezels as these are like little slivers of coloured tube so I need to figure out how I will do those...

Uf7eZO.jpg

..it sort of goes here...

Q3jiAG.jpg

ThGp8A.jpg

..next up I thought I would try the gun breeches.. I found some useful pics of the Vickers guns, though these have the big cooling jackets whereas the Fury has the thinner holed ones like a 50 cal you would see on a B17..

..I used this image to scale & design the PE and actually reversed the design for a left & right, but as it turns out they both have this mechanism on the same side so luckily I had a brass set PPD made by mistake so I could combine both PE sets to get two right handed guns..

the core is a block of thick plastic card, with laminated PE sides & folded PE tops..

tJdJ33.jpg

..then added some of the details and started to make up the charging handles from wood laminated on a PE part with brass pins through each - this was then doused in thin CA before shaping..

lVS39f.jpg

..then they were finished up.. I won't be adding the barrels, they will be added from the outside when the fuselage is done way into the future..

HtxyoM.jpg

KDrsJM.jpg

..need to make up the mounting frame for these now which is a pretty complicated tubular structure..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1