1/18 Hawker Fury

Awesome doesn`t even cover it,...... I`ve really enjoyed catching up with this project and as usual it looks like a real aeroplane! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone :)

I cracked on with the upper wing - same format as the lower wing in using very thin plastic card, embossed with a ballpoint to simulate the ribs / catenary and then carefully using impact adhesive to fix the skins to the wing structure..

..the tips were again a problem as the plastic doesn't like the compound curves, but I think I sorted it out in the end..

..by the time I took this pic, both wings and the middle section were skinned, primed and sorted. I made the whole wing so I could cut the ailerons out and they would conform properly - here I am using a printed part of my wing plan to match the aileron to the mini forward spar underneath the skin..

gESaAh.jpg

..the ailerons were cut out with sharp blades, mini saw blade and a few cuts with a slitting disc..  the profile is different on the top to the bottom, but I had no drawings so all I knew was the outlines..

hyyvZ8.jpg

..with the ailerons removed some of the structural details can be added - there are two teardrop shaped recessed into the wing that make space for big balance weights sticking out of the front of the ailerons - these were made by plunge moulding the recesses and letting them into the bottom wing skin...

..here insulating tape is used to protect the embossed rib detail while I fill and fair in the recesses..

Poc5UJ.jpg

..once the structural bits were done it was time for rib tapes, many, many rib tapes..

waW5YZ.jpg

..as before, the tapes and any linen patches are made from decal film - there is a lot of it...

..the circular hole on the lower surfaces is where there is a disc shaped bellcrank to control the aileron

ZtM83e.jpg

..with everything done, it was time for paint - alclad white aluminium..

r7wyiw.jpg

..the rib tapes are quite subtle and I think worth the hours of work..

2Olasc.jpg

6fgPJT.jpg

..another look at the underside and the details..

uTlMAh.jpg

..the ailerons were also completed - an interesting detail top right is a small glass inspection window which seems to have a white notice with red writing inside it - made that using an airscale decal

..the internal shape where it meets the wing will be all wrong, but this can't be seen so it is what it is..

5zqYNI.jpg

..complete topside - the gaps between the sections is fine - in fact I would say mine is tighter than the real one :)

coIuW5.jpg

..and the underside..

Z5zWjB.jpg

..probably get all the markings on the wing topside next.. I am NOT looking forward to that...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

I never cease to be amazed by your updates. Those wings are works of art, just like everything else that you've produced.

Good luck with the wing markings. You're nearly there now. 

• Like 1

Love the decal rib tapes, they should be very subtle. After masking and painting them on my current build I wish I'd done the same. Much less laborious, a lot neater too!

Richie

• Like 1

thanks chaps :)

just a quick one to say wing painting is done without issue thank goodness

used radu's masks for the roundels and then started to lay out the top wing squadron marks - i also had some round blanks to cover the roundels in the masks I made, the rest was tamiya tape..

NIcXmv.jpg

..getting there..

fz1xNX.jpg

..mixed up a match to the fuselage paint & airbrushed..

LpWBNV.jpg

..and job done

vNh2kJ.jpg

LpG90a.jpg

YnYY3W.jpg

..lots more details on the wing still to go, but I am so relieved that is out of the way..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 28

OH........MY........GOD! That is absolutely gorgeous. Masterclass/Jedi category modelling right here. So good I have to remind myself it's a model and not a real Fury restoration.

• Like 1

Wow!  I feel such neanderthal-ish knuckle-dragger when I see work like this. 

Is this what the people felt when the watched Michelangelo paint The Sistine Chapel ceiling?

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outstanding work Peter. 

I've probably asked before, but have you ever considered doing a "How To" video or videos covering some of your scratch building techniques? 

Pretty please!!!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cngaero said:

I've probably asked before, but have you ever considered doing a "How To" video or videos covering some of your scratch building techniques? 

Pretty please!!!! 

He’s on Patreon Which is subscription based.  Would love to join myself but SWMBO would kill me for such a frivolous use of funds, seeing as how my Apple Music subscription had to go, sigh.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello again :)

thanks all for your kind comments :)

On 6/3/2021 at 11:23 AM, cngaero said:

Outstanding work Peter. 

Pretty please!!!! 

I did have a Patreon page for about a year which had lots of videos about how I do things, but I closed it as it simply took too much time in production and gave me less building time - I will see if I can unrestrict the videos as the page should still be there :)

things have been hotting up in complexity in trying to fit the upper wing..

..first they needed completing, so these access hatches were added - not sure what they are for..

nSszmO.jpg

..also all the bracing wire mounts & doped patches were added to the underside..

jwxzy7.jpg

..the ailerons had the mass balance weights and the control horns added..

fgKPaw.jpg

..and the disc cam drives & control arm and were fully mounted in a neutral position..

CKkX9V.jpg

CXUBA0.jpg

FeUfrR.jpg

..with the wings complete, I wanted to get to mounting the centre section - to do that all the stuff under the upper wings on top of the fuselage like aldis sight needed fabricating, including the windshield..

..this was quite tricky as the frame sits on a wooden former that is a neat fit to the fuselage.... I did this by covering the fuselage in aluminuim plumbers tape (like bare metal foil) and CA'd a rough frame to it so I could build up the shape with P38 filler and still be able to break it away later as none of it, including the CA really sticks to the foil..

nWzunT.jpg

..that was refined and the glazing added - very carefully - I hate doing transparencies as I have a track recordn of screwing them up..

Jz4oc5.jpg

..the aldis sight and gunsight parts were made and added to the upper fuselage..

..also the cabane struts, which I have to say was probably the hardest and most frustrating bit of modelling I have ever done - they look simple sat here in the pics, but this is days of work to get them right so the orientation of the upper wing is correct in 3 axis

nm717E.jpg

nhKBk4.jpg

uvBli8.jpg

OuiZKa.jpg

..the centre section fits on posts in each strut and will be a real challenge to actually glue in place as I need about 12 hands to locate everything..

ixSsK7.jpg

K0CV44.jpg

..there are also multiple rigging wires so things are starting to get exponentially harder

TTFN

Peter

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Looks absolutely stunning,  great work 

9 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

its hard to believe that this isn't the real thing

simply wonderful

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Take images on on photo back drop and it would be nigh on impossible to tell I reckon. 

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

Wonderful update, all that time setting up the cabanes i think will pay you back handsomely when you come to mount the top wing. Great use the aluminium tape. Have noted that one down. 

Richie

12 hours ago, airscale said:

hello again :)

thanks all for your kind comments :)

I did have a Patreon page for about a year which had lots of videos about how I do things, but I closed it as it simply took too much time in production and gave me less building time - I will see if I can unrestrict the videos as the page should still be there :)

things have been hotting up in complexity in trying to fit the upper wing..

..first they needed completing, so these access hatches were added - not sure what they are for..

nSszmO.jpg

..also all the bracing wire mounts & doped patches were added to the underside..

jwxzy7.jpg

..the ailerons had the mass balance weights and the control horns added..

fgKPaw.jpg

..and the disc cam drives & control arm and were fully mounted in a neutral position..

CKkX9V.jpg

CXUBA0.jpg

FeUfrR.jpg

..with the wings complete, I wanted to get to mounting the centre section - to do that all the stuff under the upper wings on top of the fuselage like aldis sight needed fabricating, including the windshield..

..this was quite tricky as the frame sits on a wooden former that is a neat fit to the fuselage.... I did this by covering the fuselage in aluminuim plumbers tape (like bare metal foil) and CA'd a rough frame to it so I could build up the shape with P38 filler and still be able to break it away later as none of it, including the CA really sticks to the foil..

nWzunT.jpg

..that was refined and the glazing added - very carefully - I hate doing transparencies as I have a track recordn of screwing them up..

Jz4oc5.jpg

..the aldis sight and gunsight parts were made and added to the upper fuselage..

..also the cabane struts, which I have to say was probably the hardest and most frustrating bit of modelling I have ever done - they look simple sat here in the pics, but this is days of work to get them right so the orientation of the upper wing is correct in 3 axis

nm717E.jpg

nhKBk4.jpg

uvBli8.jpg

OuiZKa.jpg

..the centre section fits on posts in each strut and will be a real challenge to actually glue in place as I need about 12 hands to locate everything..

ixSsK7.jpg

K0CV44.jpg

..there are also multiple rigging wires so things are starting to get exponentially harder

TTFN

Peter

This just gets better with every update. 

Good luck with the rigging when the time comes. 

As to your next project, forget my earlier suggestions. Whilst gazing lovingly at the last two photos, it hit me. Seeing that you have my share of fine modelling skills, what about a model that would certainly be be your magnum opus in 1/18th scale, the Handley Page HP 42 airliner? 

Just think of all that lovely interior detail, Jupiter engines, fabric wings and all that corrugated litho plate?

I'm drooling just at the thought of it. 

Seriously though Peter, your Fury is absolutely amazing. Definitely your best to date............ Until the HP 42 that is. 

"Quickly Nurse, he's off again. Let's get him back to the ward". 

Edited by cngaero
  • Haha 2