1/18 Hawker Fury

Glad to be of help Peter; especially at this stage where correcting it is not too hard.

(I take it you'll spray the black silver first then red? To stop the red looking too dark.) 

I did wonder if some of the 1(F) Furies seen with stripes very like 25's had moved squadrons and the red had just been applied over the black.

If only you had access to the RAF's movement card for K2902?

Maybe worth an email/call to RAFM Hendon?

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Peter, Ah. My post above crossed in the ether with your post at the foot of p10, hence it looking like I'm commenting on things you've already spotted.

I only mentioned it because being a Harrier nut, I know of the issues caused by the fact that the 1(F) Sqdn end of era special scheme aircraft ZG477 had the red on its fin markings painted over gloss white, hence making the red very bright and appear to have an almost orange/vermillion cast in some photos, which the die-cast market replicated as orange! 

How the Mk.1 eyeball can deceive us all!

Sadly, I probably won't have a 1/18th GR9A as ZG477 to place next to your Fury at some point, my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

All the best

Nick

• Like 1

Ref the oil cooler,Mushroom book No 8105 on the Fury ,text on page 6,"Vickers Potts oil cooler inside behind the shutters".

Also,"Wings of Silver",cutaway on pages150/151,item No 25.

Unfortunately,no photo's.

Sorry run out of superlatives!!

Regards,Derek S

• Like 1

IMHO your paint work is brilliant, Peter!  Nothing but praise here!!  At least if you paint red over black on the wings you'll only need to mask it once, eh?  (Hoping that is the case) 

Thank you for sharing your passion and putting your mojo on display.  BRILLIANT AS USUAL!!!!

• Like 1

I'd say that red looks just right: sometimes I've seen 'silver wings' models where the colours just look too bright. I'm not sure our paint technology in the 1930s was good enough to produce overly vibrant shades.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, airscale said:

73hdIc.jpg

As I said elsewhere, I see those handholds/steps and that cockpit and I want to climb in and pre-flight. Just amazing.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

Ref. Oil Cooler,photo`s found,albeit of the replica,which is supposed to be very accurate.

Scale Models International April 1988 pages 192& 196.

Sorry, I can`t post piccies.

Regards,Dered S

• Like 1

On 03/05/2021 at 15:39, Sabrejet said:

I'd say that red looks just right: sometimes I've seen 'silver wings' models where the colours just look too bright. I'm not sure our paint technology in the 1930s was good enough to produce overly vibrant shades.

I would say that Sabrejet is right about this Peter, I certainly would not  make it 'brighter' for any reason.

Looks absolutely authentic to me.

I have to say the Fury is an absolute tour de force.

Utter brilliance, I have been a fan following your builds for ages but none of them has gone as far into my Wonder-land* as this.

Already completely capturing the essence of the era.

*wonder who I should have offered my soul to?

• Like 1

evening chaps, hope you are having a great weekend at the bench :)

thanks again for all your comments :)

..bit more Fury mayhem...

..attached the lower wings - I replaced the carbon rod spars (two of which had snapped off anyway as I had to partially cut them after realising there was dihedral..). Basically I drilled out the first inch or so and put brass spars through the tubes in the fuselage (already part of the cockpit frame) and slid the wings on - I also perforated the mating face on the wing itself for better adhesion as all the time I had been concerned with the strength of those carbon spars after i compromised them by cutting them

the whole lot was jigged up and JB Weld metal used & left overnight - they are good and strong now..

..with this done the radiator bath was added too so I can do the final skin parts around it..

ghTRtA.jpg

b4Vlqe.jpg

On 5/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, derekS said:

Ref the oil cooler,Mushroom book No 8105 on the Fury ,text on page 6,"Vickers Potts oil cooler inside behind the shutters".

Also,"Wings of Silver",cutaway on pages150/151,item No 25.

Unfortunately,no photo's.

Sorry run out of superlatives!!

Regards,Derek S

On 5/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, derekS said:

Ref. Oil Cooler,photo`s found,albeit of the replica,which is supposed to be very accurate.

Scale Models International April 1988 pages 192& 196.

Sorry, I can`t post piccies.

Regards,Dered S

..also some last minute detail was added to the radiator - I couldn't find the pics as I don't have these refs of an oil cooler inside Derek so went without..

..the wing gaps will be taken care of when I skin this bit..

kyJIEt.jpg

..next up was the prop - I had a crumpled drawing to work from..

2du7Qu.jpg

..this was cut and cropped into sections so I could align a datum line and get it as near as straight as possible and a new drawing made in scale..

..with that and a bit of basswood left over from the fuselage plug I had what I needed..

..I had originally planned to try 3D modelling, but it's way out of my wheelhouse, so I thought I would just try it..

s9QibD.jpg

..stuck the drawings to the wood and used my new bandsaw to cut the outlines in both axis I had..side first as it leaves a flat top for the plan to go down..

7XJNZ1.jpg

..I tried really hard to get the angled hub right, but in the end thought it better to turn a hub and vacform a skin having checked K2902's prop was painted..

l3ZJmH.jpg

..got rid of some of the wood underneath to make room and made it fit - filling the void with CA..

3b6yGu.jpg

..after quite a bit of refining I was happy with it - I also turned the hub from perspex acrylic..

..I would have liked to have stained the prop after so much work, but not to be...

Ms6q4F.jpg

..I tested painting just the wood as I wanted to preserve the texture, but the result was overall better after a prime with Mr surfacer and then paint..

Zw7wgE.jpg

..probably can't see it in this dry fit, but the grain can just be seen and it has a lovely texture..

mhpkND.jpg

..it looks overscale here, but I think it's just because it's missing the top wing so looks out of proportion - it is as per the drawings and other plans & I think looks fine..

ueQ5yA.jpg

dJvBdc.jpg

YQ8vBi.jpg

IUf39e.jpg

UW2rkb.jpg

..just that radiator and under wing skinning left here then its onto the upper wing where it will get dull for a bit :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Peter,

I hate to criticise but...the project title of "mojo" is not appropriate.  Perhaps,

MOJO!!!

would be more fitting?!

Carry on.

Edited by Pastor Rich
  • Like 1

All I can add is to say that I wish I had a tenth of your talent and skill!

As an aside, I wonder how a Fury would have flown, without the upper wing in place, it just looks right!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Which makes me wonder if I will ever reach that level of realism.

Me too. But so long as I enjoy my modelling and have builds like this to follow for inspiration  I’m happy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tony C said:

I wonder how a Fury would have flown, without the upper wing in place, it just looks right!

Wasn't the Hurricane initially called the 'Fury Monoplane'? 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

Me too. But so long as I enjoy my modelling and have builds like this to follow for inspiration  I’m happy.

I think it's not that much of the details that make this build look so realistic but the finishes, such as that of the metallic surfaces that elevate the build's realism.

But, yes, I agree Mark, as long as I have details to add and finishes to achieve on my models, it keeps my interest.

• Like 1

well thank you for so many kind words 😳

you guys are too kind

I have finished up all the panels around the radiator, but that will have to wait until next time as there is bigger news...

guess what this is...

5HBoWt.jpg

..it's the build jig for one of the upper wings - I translated (& corrected) plans, interpreted photo's and drawings and drew up my own plans - this is the underside of the wing - the most critical part as this is where all the strut mounts, rigging mounts and spacing needs to be super right to mate properly with the lower wing and cabane struts..

..the lines represent the ribs and a block & carrier are at the leading edge to hold half round stock up above the plan where it needs to meet the nose of each rib - keeps it all straight too..

speaking of which, there are 41, thankfully all the same profile (apart from at the tips..) here they have been made by using a brass template with two holes at the spars that are a tight fit for big press pins to pin stock plastic to balsa and cut each rib's outline. There are a lot of them & once done they are broken out and put together like this for block sanding..

TR0Mj8.jpg

..I started with the centre section, by now the pin holes in each rib have been enlarged to be a tight push fit on the brass tube spars

..thicker end ribs were added and card fills in the spaces to give torsional stability, also little bits of tube added for strut mounts..

QIEm5s.jpg

..the wings are the same method except a black card tip is cut to shape & let into the structure - black so I can see the centreline when shaping later..

..I bent the few degrees of dihedral into brass rods and used the centre section slid on to the wing structure before the rod spars were fixed to get the relationship to the wing right 

ZXXHH0.jpg

..a small square brass sub spar was added to the top where the aileron is and again stock filled up the gaps..

Klxq52.jpg

..times two - soon had the entire upper wing done..

0AppBO.jpg

5Tdpb4.jpg

..I made up a stiff card jig that maps the relationship between the fuselage and wings - it sits on the lower wing and sets the exact position of the upper wing (or it will when I come to make struts & fit it), but useful to see what it all looks like..

..we have my first biplane

PhSNoL.jpg

rHKxyy.jpg

9wIQTF.jpg

V3w61a.jpg

JhYbwb.jpg

6NM3dE.jpg

..looooong way to go, but thats a big step forward..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 26

1 hour ago, airscale said:

soon had the entire upper wing done..

Just like that. It looks so logical and you make it look almost easy. Have you seen me cutting just plastic card? Oh the Horror!

Congrats on your first Biplane. I think it's a Boy? And oh, what a beauty!

@Chaotic Mike got it right, I believe the Hurricane was initially known at Hawker as the Fury Monoplane.

• Like 1