1/18 Hawker Fury

ello, ello,

thanks my friends for stopping by

so, I have finally settled on a scheme - it's K2902 of No.1 Squadron Tangmere. It belongs to B Flight with it's fin, wheels and spinner painted in blue. It's individual letter 'A' can be seen on the cowling painted in red. Tragically, it was lost in a mid-air collision with K2901 on 17th December 1937 near Rowlands Castle, Hampshire. Both pilots, Flying Off (Acting Flight Lt) Harry Hamilton Peck (aged 26) and Sgt Robert Edmund Patten (aged 26) were killed, so this is in their memory.

egppbQ.jpg

..there are fancier schemes out there, and it might not be as shiny as the model, but I like the understated look and want to honour those airmen..

I am still trying to do things in some sort of order so I don't get construction clashes and am sort of looking at getting the tailfeathers & lower wings on so I can get the upper wing (just the mini midlle bit) & cabane struts properly oriented..

..so with that, it was time to get the tail components sorted - lots of strip decal for the rib tapes & strengthening patches where there are rigging attatchments - plus these two round 'polo mint' things..

yrLK65.jpg

TwRPvR.jpg

..these were then primed with Mr surfacer & painted with alclad..

XysQ78.jpg

OHrJZf.jpg

..there are four rigging attatchments on the tailplane upper, and strut attatchments lower..  these had little leather boots added..

9zNylf.jpg

..I have no idea what blue to use, so I went with the same as my Spitfire Race #80 so they look cool in my cabinet together

..the fabric effect I think works & I have wire wooled the paint to scuff it up a bit..

Q9jI7o.jpg

N0mLBZ.jpg

..the bits don't really dry fit together very easily, but it's something like this..

B0WKEZ.jpg

wgGlAs.jpg

IiGUMp.jpg

..I have to say i am really enjoying making this one - I guess that will last until I have to get the geometry right for all the struts & wings also the rigging I have no idea about - i need stiff, very thin piano wire I think and no idea how I will do the turnbuckles - I wonder if Gaspatch will scale me up a set or two :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 27

COLOUR!!!!

[ I certainly hope that the tape that is holding the vertical stab to the rudder didn't peel away paint when removed! ]

Waiting with baited breath for the next instalment.  After you get done enjoying time with the Grandbaby that is!

Edited by Pastor Rich
just because
  • Like 1

evening everyone :)

On 4/19/2021 at 3:49 PM, Pastor Rich said:

COLOUR!!!!

[ I certainly hope that the tape that is holding the vertical stab to the rudder didn't peel away paint when removed! ]

Waiting with baited breath for the next instalment.  After you get done enjoying time with the Grandbaby that is!

Hi PR - great to hear from you - hope you are well

..you hit the nail on the head - I am actually really worried about the integrity of the surface when it comes to masking - up to now I have been VERY careful, but it just takes one lift and the surface is ruined - especially the decal tape which is a weakness :(

..I have done tests & it seemed ok, but time will tell..

so just  a brief update as while I have been busy I didn't get any in progress shots..

firstly, the wings were given rib tapes from decals & primed & painted... also added the fixings for the rigging wires..

CE6Vpg.jpg

DOAtui.jpg

..also added these two panels..

gMh7yw.jpg

..having decided on a scheme, I have also designed all the masks I need which Radu Brinzan has kindly made & sent to me - in readiness for these I rough painted the white bits of the roundels on the lower wings..

..I couldn't find MRP Roundel red & blue anywhere and have ended up buying them from a place in Holland - £30 for both after shipping so a bit of a sting.... once they get here I am ready to paint most of the markings..

qUMXN7.jpg

..the other area of focus is the metal panel work at the tail and adding the lower rudder hinges..

..the struts that hold the tailplane in place have to be made, but the mounts are done (though they need their canvas boots..

..I also made the tailskid which again needs a big canvas boot - the skid bit was made from brass - not sure what the real one was made of or what coulour it should be?

jePm1b.jpg

yXbSvm.jpg

..the other side has a smaller panel & the big hole is where the rudder control cables come out of (in a boot..)..

jwhaAD.jpg

..and with it's roundel blank I am tempted to put a number in it and call it an air racer....

XNuCN1.jpg

..I want to get lots of the fiddly bits done and all the painting before the final main assembly which is the upper wings - that will be a model in itself..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 26

17 minutes ago, airscale said:

not sure what the real one was made of or what coulour it should be?

On interwar builds if in doubt I paint it semigloss black :) 

Stunning work as usual. Not that I would ever be in your league but your work inspires me to be more of a model engineer and less of a model bodger :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Ghast is flabbered beyond redemption!!!!

Ref your radiatorcowling,I seem to recall that the oil cooler lives  in between the rad shutters and the rad itself.

With the shutters open it would be visible,so might be worth checking.

Regards,Derek S

• Like 1

evening folks & thanks for your encouragement - it really means a lot to me :)

On 4/26/2021 at 9:17 AM, derekS said:

Ghast is flabbered beyond redemption!!!!

Ref your radiatorcowling,I seem to recall that the oil cooler lives  in between the rad shutters and the rad itself.

With the shutters open it would be visible,so might be worth checking.

Regards,Derek S

Thanks Derek - will have to check that out - i haven't noticed it yet, but that certainly does not mean it's not there :)

..as far as progress goes, I started painting - not my strong suit..

Radu made me the masks and they were excellent - the only real issue being how fragile the surface is - the decal strip can pull off, the alclad can pull off, and painting onto polished metal means guess what - yep, it pulls (or falls) off...

I probably should have varnished the fabric areas but I am terrified of varnish after a few bad experiences - I don't know which one to use and I think I need another airbrush with a bigger spray capacity to do it properly..

..anyways, I did the wings first and had lots of touch ups after - thankfully where the decal strips pulled adding water tightened them back up and after that I used low tack post it notes while trying to recover some of the paint losses..

..all done now, and any inconsistency in the finish I will call weathering or hangar rash...

..the MRP RAF Markings paint arrived from Holland after 2 weeks but I have to say I was disappointed - the red is more like salmon and the blue looks like it might on a washed out Lancaster wing, but no good for this (I ended up using it on the tail..)

In the end I made up mixes from Tamiya colours..

6Z0orT.jpg

..while I was waiting for the MRP paint to arrive, I started on the undercarriage - for this I needed a jig so made it up from sheets of acrylic so I can hang the gear..

..it has a tube the propshaft sits in and a rest to keep it level per the datum - plus a couple of balsa wedges to keep it on the centreline..

Xz08kq.jpg

..this allowed me to measure & create the trailing U/C legs..

D7eYEE.jpg

..all the joints are pinned (holes & pins) - it's quite a complex arrangement and it wasn't until I took it out of the jig for photos I realised how unstable it all is - the fuselage wants to rotate around all the points and as there are no hard / fast fixings (likely will just use CA'd mini bolts) I am a bit worried the whole thing is going to be super fragile - one to do some thinking about..

RJy6IN.jpg

..the axle and trailing legs are wrapped in linen tape, so out with the decal strips again... also brake pipes are under the wrap..

4DXCdB.jpg

zhDHT7.jpg

..so onto the painting, not much to say other than I don't like doing it

lzLSXG.jpg

V9Ovs0.jpg

VM7Z7w.jpg

xQ8Av6.jpg

5MYFH9.jpg

STU73B.jpg

..I think I will fix the lower wings on soon so I can turn the corner and start part 2 - the upper wings...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 29

More quality modelling. Very impressive stuff. I like the tribute idea. The markings look good.

My guess for the skid would be brass. It could be cast and was, for the time, hard wearing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the erks had to polish it though!

• Like 1

Model engineering par excellence of the most beautiful biplane ever to serve in the RAF.

One thing intrigued me about the colours... I always thought the stripes on 1(F) Sqdn’s Furies were red, with black being used by 25 Sqdn. Of course this aircraft could have transferred in from 25, which I presume your research confirms. Photos show that the location and separation of the bands on 1 Sqdn Furies differed, some being wider apart than 25’s, some the same and some closer together; they’ve certainly confused many profile artists.

Keep up the great work.

Nick

• Like 1

I doubt we'll ever see a better model of a Fury; in some of those photos I'd genuinely struggle to tell the difference between your beautiful model and the real thing. Just one comment though: It's "its", not "it's". Well no-one's perfect! :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NG899 said:

Model engineering par excellence of the most beautiful biplane ever to serve in the RAF.

One thing intrigued me about the colours... I always thought the stripes on 1(F) Sqdn’s Furies were red, with black being used by 25 Sqdn. Of course this aircraft could have transferred in from 25, which I presume your research confirms. Photos show that the location and separation of the bands on 1 Sqdn Furies differed, some being wider apart than 25’s, some the same and some closer together; they’ve certainly confused many profile artists.

Keep up the great work.

Nick

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I doubt we'll ever see a better model of a Fury; in some of those photos I'd genuinely struggle to tell the difference between your beautiful model and the real thing. Just one comment though: It's "its", not "it's". Well no-one's perfect! :)

"Well no-one's perfect"

So true - especially in my case when we now have a classic example of assumption being the mother of all f#ck ups..

Nick, you are of course right - 1 Sqn's markings are red, but I had convinced myself and assumed the photo was mislabelled as No 1 Sqn as the stripe PATTERN looked like 25 Sqn in tighter spaced lines and therefore if it really was a 25 Sqn aeroplane then they were black

..now I look again and do more forensic examination i can see many cues that show this is indeed a 1 Sqn aircraft and the stripes are indeed red

XFiXHE.jpg

I will set about correcting it, and can only thank you Nick for pointing it out now while I can recover it :)

thats the power of a place like this - you can draw upon a super well informed group conscience to keep you honest

Peter

• Like 9

1 hour ago, airscale said:

"Well no-one's perfect"

Thats the power of a place like this - you can draw upon a super well informed group conscience to keep you honest

Peter

...and pedants like me to pull you up on your grammar 🙄...

• Like 1

recovered!

ZfqvG4.jpg

HwUUcN.jpg

jALNQG.jpg

Cpn5X3.jpg

73hdIc.jpg

red over black means the shade is a touch darker than I would like and I guess I will need to repeat the mistake on the upper wing stripes to keep it the same, but at least it's done without too much drama :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 25