1/18 Hawker Fury

afternoon :)

just a couple of bits done today..

this intake sits each side of the fuselage - I had already built a recess in the fuselage to house them and cut holes in the panel where they go, so next up was making them.

zrLxdJ.jpg

I started with a perspex buck and spent a few goes trying to skin it - that was an epic fail as it's juts too compound to get right..

in the end I used my little proxxon milling machine to mill some Ali rod into a blank I could then mill out the end intake - it cost me three tiny milling bits as I am such a noob, but did the job in the end..

Hc2Bps.jpg

..then they were simply CA'd in place..

pjfvZz.jpg

Z2V44J.jpg

..next were these teardrop blisters on the upper nose..

za9tl7.jpg

..again a perspex buck was skinned and they were applied - I also did the very last nose panel behind the spinner to complete the nose skinning..

..all it needs now are the dzus fasteners and a few more rivets

EbYRza.jpg

mYxhdZ.jpg

gAvhWe.jpg

..and yes, one of the exhaust stubs broke a bit - that is going to be a difficult repair at some point..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Oh WOW Peter,...... what a build,...... this has to be your best yet and that is saying something,....... this will be absolutely stunning when it is finished,.... a museum exhibit for sure,..... having just caught up with it,.... I`ll be following with great interest,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airscale said:

mYxhdZ.jpg 

..and yes, one of the exhaust stubs broke a bit - that is going to be a difficult repair at some point..

TTFN

Peter

That's a definite " Oh :poop: " moment!

Chris

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate this from the real aircraft. I mean this is looking more like a Hawker Fury than a Hawker Fury...

I think the  model is a little bit shinier, but I could be wrong :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

thanks chaps :)

so, a weekends work in a few pictures coming up..

..the radiator under the fuselage is quite a complex structure and now the PE bits I had made have arrived it was time to start..

..complicated nose with cut-outs and gills..

wItNrE.jpg

..rear with some details to capture..

34fFsr.jpg

..I started by translating drawings & pictures into templates to make a buck for a vacform copy..

the PE included radiator faces which while they can't be seen here have all the honeycomb detail..

..I started skinning the inside here - later I pulled all this off..

ZhVNQQ.jpg

..it was when I cut the rear & front apertures I removed the inner skinning and redid it once all the cutting was done - here the rear first..

Xueo5q.jpg

..the front has cutouts and I had made a PE template to get these right - I also left little tangs of litho around these as they wrap around rods each side that can be seen on the front view above

..also here I have added a fake central skin as I want to skin the front and back before adding a PE skin with all the rivet detail - the radiator on the real thing is one big unit that is a different colour metal so that works quite well..

plQe3O.jpg

..by now the skinning is complete, the rods added and the fake centre panel removed - I made this slightly oversize as there are gaps around the real one..

W5hmrT.jpg

..with the centre panel attatched, it's time to start making the 10 cooling gills - the litho in front has been marked & scored on the back and each one was broken off, bent back on itself over a brass pin..

there is a mount in the throat with 10 holes to take them..

7wKe9e.jpg

..not finished yet, but nearly there - a bit of work needs doing to get this to gel with the fuselage bottom..

m7SSfz.jpg

KFVnvr.jpg

gifr59.jpg

..until next time

TTFN
Peter

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

thanks chaps

..just a quick one

I cut away the under fuselage to allow mating of the rad structure - the roof of the rad intake at the front seems also to have some sort of slat arrangement, but I only have a couple of oblique photos to work from so imagineered this bit..

..also the flat panel in front of it was let in by using a template glued on to cut away the skinning and then some work to flatten the underlying structure before adding a more detailed panel..

ewZKDe.jpg

YrzzL5.jpg

sn3L57.jpg

OcndBs.jpg

wVfImD.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Wow Peter, just found your build. Excellent model aero engineering going on here. The wing ribbing remined me of my teen years building balsa gliders. I do like the metal skinning.

Colin

This build just gets better and better. Your attention to detail is outstanding and every single element you produce is absolutely stunning and so realistic.

I read each one of your updates wonder and never cease to be amazed by your craftsmanship. With just 5% of your skills, I would be a very happy modeller.

I stand by what I said in an earlier post, IMHO, this is turning out to be your best model yet.

Chris.

• Like 1