1/18 Hawker Fury

Good day to you :)

So, what bobbins have I come up with this week?

Well, now the rear fuselage has the tapes and at least a primer coat of silver I can move to the skinning - this is something I have been both looking forward to and dreading...

..the dread stems from there are many complex panels (hard thing number 1), they are not flush riveted but have dome rivets (hard thing number 2) and they are highly polished (hard thing number 3...)

..moving backwards from the turtledeck, I noticed some smaller panels sort of stitched on..

g9n6ta.jpg

..I made up the panels in litho, added rivets from the back with a blunt pin and tried stitching with lead wire - that failed, the wire is too weak and kept snapping, so used copper in the hope over time it weathers & oxidises a bit..

..the blue thing is a bit of wire to stop the loops twisting as I pull them tight..

vJSNHa.jpg

..added and one stitch added to join them..

K9QYaV.jpg

..for the first actual panel, I marked out the boundaries in dymo tape and burnished down a tape template to get the exact shape needed..

4MTWOv.jpg

..a marking guide is then made up in the computer and holes drilled to mark where the dzus fastners are..

lWCH2E.jpg

..then prior to rivets being added the panel is polished with this stuff..

oGLC8A.jpg

..hard to get the shine on camera, but here you can see a reflection of a can of mr surfacer..

HErC9z.jpg

..this is the other side, but here is another panel with contact adhesive on after making a tape hinge so it drops exactly where it should..

Tke3CA.jpg

..the panel around the cockpit is one of the harder ones - it's one piece wrap around and must fit exactly in three of the four sides..

I started with a tape template again and used scaled plans to add various cutouts & details - things like rivet lines going across the top of the whole panel can only be done this way as otherwise it is impossible to determine how things lie when the panel is flat..

b6tUGo.jpg

..the next step is to add the tape template to a panel and score all the outlines and where needed remove any material..

m6QkdZ.jpg

the little zits on the right in the pic above are tests to see if i could translate the lines where there should be rivets by pricking with a pin from the top, turning the sheet over and re-pricking them again from underneath..

..ultimately ending up with all the cut-outs (some of which were not on the drawings), all the rivets, and all the fasters for things that are fixed inside on the cockpit wall..

c7QWAt.jpg

..this panel was then very carefully added and thankfully was a pretty good fit..

..other panels had hatches & bumps added as needed..

SySkfD.jpg

LhqADs.jpg

O5XmZ3.jpg

sGVOVF.jpg

..still many more to go, but a bit of wind in the sails as that top one will likely be one of the hardest

..just need to add all the hatches, some sliding gun access panels and all sorts to them now

TTFN

Peter

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I admire your working process. Since I am also from the metal branch, I know how much skill and breath and patience is required.

Just as a smiling joke, you have enough money for a plastic kit?

Go on, well done!

• Haha 2

Superb as ever. Really enjoying the approach you take and methods you use to achieve these fabulous results.  Thank you for continuing to share with us.

hello again & thanks again :)

On 3/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, Malc2 said:

This is just simply amazing to follow.

The results are stunning.

Fingers crossed we get to see it at Telford this November?

Malc.

Well Malc, if Telford is on, I hope to enter my P51, and whatever state this is in I will put it on the WIP part of the 32 SIG stand - it certainly won't be finished by then :)

..the only part I have actually made are the guns - bits of brass and some PE I made at the beginning - these were pre-painted before assembly so I can get in all the nooks & crannies..

..the muzzle breech thing had square holes so these were drilled & filed..

yJvFkT.jpg

...& painted..

PSQ3JH.jpg

..the rest has just been rinse & repeat with tape templates & making up panels - I am just going to stop here and do the wing root panels so I don't risk scratching / denting the forward nose panels...

..the guns sort of sit here..

ZUKhgK.jpg

xOfuv5.jpg

TYimmT.jpg

RYSpA2.jpg

26Dd1n.jpg

nBLGRF.jpg

b74qPQ.jpg

..back later

TTFN
Peter

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

evening ladies :)

..so all the action lately has been on skinning - hard, complex skins actually..

..the under chin one took a couple of goes, but with lots and lots of gentle tapping with a tiny hammer, coaxing with various bits of soft and hard wood, I got it good enough to lay down and work on..

..the printed paper borders are acttually a false litho skin representing the engine side panels so I can lay this chin panel down and push it right up to that border - once overlapping & tight, the waste can be sanded away leaving the edge shape I want..

qKvsA0.jpg

..it might be better shown here - this time the top panel (even harder then the bottom!) again the panel around the exhausts is represented by a strip of litho along with some shields to protect them as they are very fragile..

..at the back of the panel where the gun troughs are I am not asking much of the metal as it's just curved in one direction, but as you close in on the nose, it needs a lot of work to get it to conform without kinking, folding, splitting or any other number of nasties..

..here tape is helping hold bits of it in place while the lower edges are worked..

Aj8iCb.jpg

..at this point the hard work is done and the panel is stuck down - one thing I learned is that I should have been much more careful about the openings I made - you can see here at the nose, two dips where there are two holes - I thought I would make neat shapes with the skin, but in fact it just adopts the shapes of the holes in the structure as the metal is so soft..

..the front of this panel will be trimmed so the kinking doesn't matter and the gun troughs will be cut out later as there is no way the metal will stretch that deep..

m0SYcw.jpg

..then its a process of various grades of sandpaper - here quite fine wet n dry used wet..

WqhMCL.jpg

...then wire wool (0000 grade)..

1WrCqq.jpg

..then it's polished..

..you see that hole with a brass screwlike cap in it? well I didn't see that until this panel was down so not only did I have to make a hole in it which shredded my nerves, but once I had a hole I had to fit these through the hole - there is zero access inside..

..I did it by making the caps, sitting them on a strip of black card and used threads tied to them to get them in place - a right little nightmare..

bdi3iR.jpg

..the metal was removed from the gun troughs and the holes in the front opened up..

4ul2K4.jpg

..the troughs themselves were annealed litho burnished into the troughs - here after sanding all the faces so it is at one with the shape of the cowling..

gwXcWe.jpg

..cleaned up & with rivets..

gW4OAH.jpg

..there is also a fairing on the upper fuselage so a buck was made from perspex and litho burnished over it..

BXkXg9.jpg

..I thought I would shoot the rund up in daylight as my desk lamps don't really show off the metalwork..

..also added the wing fillets with their copper stitching and the footsteps..

NfvEt4.jpg

..there are various lumps & bumps and still some to go, but this is where I am at..

Npboso.jpg

yeC77x.jpg

pNsqGW.jpg

9IzbQW.jpg

ksTo5K.jpg

bN8XFT.jpg

9LQ6g9.jpg

..got to do the panels around the exhausts next and they are NASA scientist levels of precision, so fingers crossed :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 25

With all here - stupendous work! When are you going to build a 1:1 scale version - that I'd love to see - couldn't be much more complex than this build.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Peter, your work in skinning the nose of the Fury is truly masterclass. 

I can see the finished model in my mind and I don't want to put a curse on it, but this shaping up to be your best ever. I'll fight anyone who disagrees. If I'm not there, just tell them to start without me😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

thank you so much everyone - I want you to know you are why I got better at modelling - thats what a WIP on here does for you :)

..here is the next chapter..

..this is the nose panel I have been secretly dreading...

one, it has to fit with other panels on 3 sides, two it is full of raised rivets despite being curved and needing burnishing into shape, and three - last bu not least, look at those perfect little oval apertures for each exhaust pipe...

challenging...

97LT4V.jpg

..the first thing to tackle was the ovals - here a suitable brass template was taped over a perfect scale drawing that fits my 3D exhausts and a pin in a pin vise (what else?) used to go round and around until the oval pops out - each row took about 45 mins...

YVkXzi.jpg

..with those done, other openings were added and a tape template from the model is applied to get some of the borders, plus the panel was polished before anything else..

4qXLyD.jpg

..then all the raised rivets were applied and the panel gently shaped to fit at the edges - once a good fit on all the straight edges was achieved the panel was annealed so I could start to gently burnish it to get the imprint of the lower curved edge..

..at this point I have about 4 hours in this one panel..

phpJMr.jpg

..making the other side - I goofed and over heated a panel when annealing it - it's all distrorted around the ovals - this was a write off of many hours work and the language was most anglo saxon..

uH8Swn.jpg

..after a good couple of days work they are done..

..they still need all the dzus fasteners which are coming in some PE bits i made for the radiator next week and some rivets, but I am vary happy with how they came out..

..its just resting on the U/C legs - they are not at all at the right angle, but you get the picture..

tJR4vA.jpg

f0Njzd.jpg

U94mqe.jpg

SbhKWs.jpg

A7vRIS.jpg

..still more details around the nose and a last panel to go, then it will be moving on to the big under fuselage radiator..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

What a stunning build, I have been looking for inspiration to lure me back to the bench.  I think this is it. I certainly can't build to anything like this standard but this makes me want to be a better modeller. :)

• Like 1

I just realised all my comments on this build have been at LSP so I'd better say it here: Beautiful. Now I'm waiting for the prop to go on so we can see the engine run videos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2