1/18 Hawker Fury

evening ladies :)

back with a little more progress..

started by cutting out the big access door in the fuselage - unlike later metal aircraft, the fit seems quite rudimentary which suits me :)

..it's just resting in place now, but evn so..

ICAZLB.jpg

..then onto the wing roots - thing here is the front of the wing actually goes into the fuselage - there is no fairing until the rear half flares out...

so first I made up brass shapes to mirror the wing profile and used these to cut the shape. I also used the spar points to set their actual position so they neatly butt the wing so I could build up the fairing to them..

Ke6bD3.jpg

..with the templates in place it was a matter of bulking out and stregthening their fitment - as there is a chop into the fuselage I had to add some red dope paint to disguise some places..

..the ribwork was masked off to stop filler or sanding spoiling it

pEYgpq.jpg

..& filled with P38..

Ydj0vq.jpg

..from the bottom..

Y8aJIN.jpg

..and soon the fillets were complete..

4UUbXx.jpg

o8b8ea.jpg

..also added a rigging wire mount to where the forward U/C mount is and generally cleaned up the U/C fittings..

R3PVkw.jpg

..moving to the nose, I noticed the cowl is quite hollow and can be seen behind the spinner..

dg890O.jpg

..I made sure the nose was flat and true and added a litho disc to ensure a perfect circle - once I had filled to this, I set about removing as much as I could with a dremel burr to cut with..

YnZHds.jpg

..added an internal mount and a spigot that goes right back into a hole in the brass tubular fuselage structure...

also cut out the little indentation at the bottom of the cowl..

PO11qk.jpg

..and with a little dry fit, she is starting to look like an aeroplane..

W329eI.jpg

qhFt8w.jpg

..nimble little figher - oh wait, it needs another wing...

..now in other news, I became a grandfather yesterday, with the most precious little angel Amber coming into the world..

BEY4bM.jpg

..to say I am thrilled, just doesn't do justice to the feeling - I am so proud of my new little family - my daughter has started calling me "papa planes"

until next time

Peter

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Firstly, congratulations on becoming a member of the most exclusive club in the world, the Granddad Club. Enjoy every minute with little Amber, because they grow up far too quickly. My youngest Granddaughter is two and a half and I wish I could keep her at that age because she is so funny and entertaining to be with and she is is like a little shadow, wherever I go in the house, she follows me. She's a real Granddad's girl.

More stunning work on the Fury there Peter. This is really coming together nicely. I love your very neat work around the wing roots. I can't wait to see the finished work of art. 

How about following this up with either a Percival Mew Gull, a Miles Messenger or a Fairey Flycatcher? 😁 

Keep up the good work. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

CONGRATS PETER!!!

What wonderful news on your grand daughter!  The ULTIMATE 1:1 project!!  We're beyond thrilled for you and the whole family.  Brilliant work too on the Fury!  Your mojo is in full bloom!!

Blessings

• Like 1

Of all the amazing updates on this post none come close to the last. The picture of your gorgeous granddaughter reminds me of my own grandchildren and, trust me, the feelings you have now never go away. Congratulations Grandad.

Pete

• Like 1

Peter, heartfelt congratulations to you and yours. I have two Grandaughters, and have spent many a happy time chasing them around the house.

It's what life is made for! There is a Grandson too but he is only just on the verge of figuring out how to crawl!

Oh, Aeroplane? I think I saw a nice one somewhere here.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your Granddaughter. You must be so pleased.

Does this mean more or less modelling time. 

BTW I’d second a Flycatcher as a follow up.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I do have a Daughter but no grand kids yet. I imagine it’ll be like fatherhood but you can hand them back for the bad bits :) 

That`s the great bit about being grand parents, you can hand them back at the end of the day.

Simon.

• Like 1

Awww thanks fellas :)

Very kind, and I am still enjoying every minute with my new family when I can see them :)

so, semi-normal service needs to be resumed and the first thing was adding the rear bulkhead - this was just painted litho with some rivets added where I can see them and the fixing straps..

X45mXN.jpg

..the turtledeck panels that go around this make up a central top panel which is dope taped and hinged side panels which I think are ply as they have doped edges. they are certainly painted in silver dope rather than polished metal and sit above the rib tapes etc as it terminates in this area.. (I don't think the light is period so i am not including it.. or at least its not on period pics I have)

sfG1m8.jpg

..I made a tape rubbing of the exact shape from the model and cut them from litho..

TddNDl.jpg

..before I could make that I had to sort out the rib tapes..

..this has been a bit of a trial - I ordered a sheet of decal film as that had given best results and is made by the same folks as micro sol & set so I thought would work well.. firstly I ordered clear film - that was a mistake, I couldn't see what I was doing so I ordered white..

..these just sit over each stringer position..

Ogqkd5.jpg

..the stuff is very sticky on both sides oddly when it is wet and I found it quite hard to work with - it's also quite rubbery

..as far as micro sol and set, it wrinkles & stays wrinkled quite badly so this could only be used very sparingly where it overlaps or needs to conform..  all of which leaves me a bit worried about adhesion when it comes to masking...

..I did a few tests and it seemed ok, so we will see...

soon got all that needed doing done..

0Zl9XT.jpg

..the effect looks fine, but it is a lot of effort!

LfYC9W.jpg

kKy9lH.jpg

..top metal (wood ) panel added..

g888p1.jpg

..then everything was left in the airing cupboard for 12 hrs and primed with mr surfacer - once that had dried it was airbrushed with alclad white aluminium..

G8r5At.jpg

UgVbWA.jpg

..the side access door is only dry fitted for now..

8nQYTe.jpg

..and the turtledeck panels all fitted - the hinges were as they are on the Nimrod pics I have and looked better than gaps so I went with them - just scored microtube..

sG0Ms8.jpg

so I need to sort of wrap this all to protect it and then start on the metal panelwork moving forward - should be fun

TTFN

Peter

• Like 19

That looks amazing.  It really is incredible progress and a beautiful result.  Are you able to say that product you used for the decal tapes?  I often find I have need of thicker decal stock for doing raised panels and such for scratchbuilding and that might be just the thing.

• Like 1

Peter, your work on the rear fuselage is absolutely amazing. Every single one of the techniques that you display here and in your other beautiful models are so inspirational. Your techniques would certainly be the basis of a fantastic book on scratchbuilding.

I can't wait to see the nose and propeller of your Fury.

Have you decided which markings are going to adorn this beautiful aeroplane?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

That looks amazing.  It really is incredible progress and a beautiful result.  Are you able to say that product you used for the decal tapes?  I often find I have need of thicker decal stock for doing raised panels and such for scratchbuilding and that might be just the thing.

many thanks chaps :)

yes, of course, it's this stuff on Amazon

..they do clear as well..

uLI1md.jpg

all the best

Peter

• Like 3

Wonderful work Peter, I love the idea of using 'decal' sheet for the rib tapes.

saved for the future*

I presumed you must have used Microscale trim film for that but I now see you have been using white inkjet transfer film, good idea and way better value for money.

*I have recently found using decal sheet is a better substitute for painting in many respects and have become a fan of the stuff.

• Like 1