1/18 Hawker Fury

I think it safe to say, Peter, that you're mojo has been restored!  The kit within the kit is fabulous!  It will be a shame to paint it all as this is a work of art as is.  At least we'll have these picts to remember it all by once the fuselage is closed-up.  Cheers!

• Like 1

We're running out of superlatives here. @Mike really needs to hook this site up to a thesaurus. 

I'll just say that once again, I'm amazed.

26 minutes ago, airscale said:

there is no way I am going to even try and make things like control surfaces work!

Then again, I may have to demand a refund.

28 minutes ago, airscale said:

wierd gizmo's either side of the upper central part

Knurled knobs (f'nar) Obviously meant for adjusting something in small increments. Something to do with the guns? Alignment? 

Sights, I imagine, would be ring and bead. AFAIK they were usually fixed so not that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We're running out of superlatives here. @Mike really needs to hook this site up to a thesaurus. 

I'll just say that once again, I'm amazed.

Then again, I may have to demand a refund.

Knurled knobs (f'nar) Obviously meant for adjusting something in small increments. Something to do with the guns? Alignment? 

Sights, I imagine, would be ring and bead. AFAIK they were usually fixed so not that.

Round counter that clicked over with every round fed into the breech?

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, airscale said:

Thanks Chris - actually I have a pretty small, cramped desk with a mini-lathe (that is currently broken) and a mini proxxon milling machine - I just wish I had a fantastic workshop!

Wow now I am even more in Awe now, this is sorcery surely.  Great IP, Gizmo and gun breaches, I especially like the laminated wooden handles OMG. 

Chris 

• Like 1

I’ve just caught up with this, Peter, and I’m even more impressed and astonished than I was previously! Stunning work. This also makes a great reference for anyone building a Fury in any scale, though almost certainly not to this standard!

Jon

• Like 1

I hope nobody says Proxxon milling machine to CedB.

Wonderful artistic technicalities, again.

You always amaze us, I am so glad you share your model making with us.

Proxxon...

No I would not be able to put it to the glorious use you do.

• Like 2

Thank you chaps - very kind :)

I thought I might change things up a bit having been in the 'pit for a few weeks (and while I search for pics or drawings of the ammo boxes / chutes...) so thought I might make a start on the lower wings. These are more simple than the uppers (no ailerons) so are better candidates to learn on..

.. I copied the techniques in the Alcorn book - they made it look straightforward :)

..first up make a brass template of the rib - thankfully these are constant chord across the span until it gets to the tip.. the holes they are pinned through are the centrepoints of the two tubular spars and match the mounts on the brass tube fuselage section...

vVy9bA.jpg

after making about 30, they are put together as a laminated block (using broaches to align them), clamped and finished to all are identical.. as the book says, they were taken out and 'shuffled' a few times to get them equal..

kwCoxs.jpg

..i created a drawing of the wing with the outline & rib position marked and then stuck lots of little plastic 'U' channel strips where each rib meets the leading edge. The leading edge itself was a bit of half round plastic strip..

nuTbkf.jpg

...cut the tip shape from black plastic card so I can see the midpoint during sanding later and stuck those to carbon rod spars..

..also made a jig for each wing so the assembly is flat & true..

KcMLLz.jpg

..started adding the ribs having reamed the holes to fit the spars as a tight fit..

gYNwCU.jpg

..there is a loose rib yet to be attatched at the root so the root rib is double thickness..

E6rYN6.jpg

..added the ribs to the tip as blanks and sanded them down, also added a folded litho trailing edge for a nice crisp edge..

DIiFKw.jpg

..added lots of sheet strengtheners - even with these the wing doesn't have a great deal of torsional strength against twisting, so will have to watch for that..

EQ4rIJ.jpg

..also added mounts for interplane struts and rigging... just thick 3mm card & brass tubes for now

CJvwTr.jpg

..then realised I had not allowed for dihedral (doh...)

..so I put a slit in each spar and built a jig so I could crack them and CA at the right angle... once that was done I added a brass rib at the canted angle and backfilled with CA to surround the cracked spars - all seems strong enough thankfully..

mcXp3h.jpg

..and now I have started experimenting with scoring ribs into sheet with a ballpoint pen in order to skin them... I will most likely do one big skin and wrap around the leading edge..

3BYHDa.jpg

..this is all uncharted territory for me, so we will see how it goes

TTFN

Peter

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Very good work Peter. It's great to see modeling problems figured out and overcome. I was wondering what you were going to cover it with given all skinning on your previous projects. Thanks again for sharing your efforts.

Keith

• Like 1

Morning ladies :)

On 11/29/2020 at 5:28 PM, Britman said:

Very good work Peter. It's great to see modeling problems figured out and overcome. I was wondering what you were going to cover it with given all skinning on your previous projects. Thanks again for sharing your efforts.

Keith

Thanks Keith - I will skin the wings with plastic, vacform the fuselage (adding stringer efects to that), skin the nose in metal but for an actual fabric effect I am not sure yet how I will do that :)

..after a little interlude on the wings, I went back to the cockpit..

here, behind the instrument panel, you can see some shapes for the ammo boxes and feed / eject chutes - they are the diagonal lines above the left & right bits of the panel, and the ribbed metal panels below it - it turns out the mysterious cogwheel assemblies to the sides of the upper IP are also related.....

caenD3.jpg

..I went back to my chap with some drawings to see if he had any for these, and lo and behold we have these two..

the box..

ZRlaff.jpg

..and the feed chutes - note the cogwheel gubbins can be seen here...

aZ48Dy.jpg

..I made scale drawings from these drawings and cut out the shapes in litho - with these i used plastic stock to  bulk out the shapes & skin them..

DJWzfa.jpg

CCXf3I.jpg

..same principle for the boxes and their attatched feed chutes... here I am aligning the chutes with the real-world position of the guns in the model via stock blanks..

egMRuh.jpg

..also satisfying to find the cogwheel thing I made aligns perfectly - i just need to figure out how to break them out of this sheet and fit them (or not, I may just leave as the IP covers most of this...)

xU2lUa.jpg

..here the guns have been painted, they have also been adjusted as the R/H gun cocking handle is actually inboard, plus both cocking handles have been shortened as per pics...

..also the mounting frame has been constructed from soldered brass parts with some castings ground from tiny aluminium blocks..

rjdypY.jpg

iJuvGY.jpg

..it is critical to ensure all these sub assemblies work as a whole and fit with each other, so everything was dry assembled - here the seatbelts have also been made from rolled lead..

..I can't actually assemble it until the IP is complete as there is no way to add it after assembly - I should get the instrument decals sometime in January so all this will be shelved until then...

b0oP93.jpg

QxjrjK.jpg

eK2Qbq.jpg

3D0edg.jpg

U8MpUe.jpg

..so likely back to the wings - I have been experimenting - the tips are hard as there are compound curves the sheet doesn't want to take, and in one good skin, I found the Tamiya thin pooled in places (because I sloshed it on) and deformed the thin skin - so lots more to try / learn...

Cdgwwq.jpg

..until next time..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airscale said:

l but for an actual fabric effect I am not sure yet how I will do that :)

Not to be smart but I’d have thought you’d use fabric with dope. I’d imagine a very fine weave cotton trimmed (sheets will have a threads per inch rating)  sewn, glued and doped could look right. 

Stunning work as usual.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Superb work as usual Peter. Fascinating to watch. 

Re: the fabric wing covering. Isn't there a decal manufacturer that makes fabric/canvas effect decals?

*Edit: I was thinking of Aviattic 

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/linen-effect--wood-grain-decals.html

Scroll down for clear version for use over silver.

Since these are 1/32nd scale I'm not sure if these would suit what you're considering Peter. 

Edited by geedubelyer
Decal info added
  • Like 1

Lovely Ammo boxes/feed gear. Shame it has to be put to one side for a while. 

But that means more wing magic, so it's not all bad.

The fabric effect. Would it be effective to roughen up the card with abrasive paper?

A coat of paint or clear on top of that might do it in this scale. Worth a bit of research maybe?

• Like 1

:gobsmacked: Is the only comment I can make that has any intelligence to it. "looks around the workshop" You sure you don't have a Mr. Miniaturizer stashed somewhere? All the adjectives I would like to use to complement this AWESOME endeavour just can't do this justice. so Well Done!

• Like 2

Antonis here my friend ,you have done amazing work as always some times i think you are not human, about the cover have a look the Lightweight materials we using for super light indoor planes ,it might be something that works for you https://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/index.php/products/lightweight-covering-materials

Edited by rOEN911
  • Like 2