1/18 Hawker Fury

Thank you :)

..after posting the pics of the control grip I was really bothered by how crap the cotton wrap looked..so I stripped it off..

vhxglV.jpg

..then I painted it in maskol masking rubber & painted that instead...

0kaoDf.jpg

..I am happier with how this looks :)

on another note, on Monday I am going up near Duxford to meet with someone who has nearly 2,000 factory drawings of the Fury which I am allowed to access and photograph - really thrilled about that as it is becoming a problem having no references :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 16

Thanks ladies :)

a bit more done..

..the undercarriage legs are something I thought I might start without drawings as I have a fair bit of dimensional info off the 4 view I do have..

we can see here there is a lower aerofoil compression strut that is in a wider upper housing, with the axle (looking like a rod, but is also aerofoil) and a complex bunch of fittings either end to mount the main strut, trailing strut and bracing wires..

Zp8Wsd.jpg

gPxyZY.jpg

..to make the aerofoil compression strut I tried a number of things, from left to right - just compressing ali tube - fail, it just caves in the middle, then ali tube filled with balsa (by hammering it into it like a nail - getting there, but impossible to get an aerofoil section, then balsa fill with a cocktail stick rammed in to give a solid round nose cross section and a good squish of the trailing edge..

DhLNeP.jpg

..used the cocktail stick/balsa process to make up the two struts and soldered rod into square section brass before dremelling away the waste & drilling to get two clevis mounts..

oK97lo.jpg

..the axle started as a brass rod with a number of brass fittings soldered to get the fittings for the compression strut and trailing strut..

feho9U.jpg

..these fitting also have a tiny hole inboard for the bracing wire mount..

ebKU7u.jpg

..to get the aerofoil section I milled the back of the axle flat and added a plastic rectangular block which itself had a slit routed into it to let in a brass rod to give a nice solid, rounded trailing edge..

m0Ju6d.jpg

..then the aerofoil was filled with P38 filler & sanded..

66N9PN.jpg

..and then primed with mr surfacer..

AWFE9L.jpg

80qvs5.jpg

..and then some tiny bolts dry hold the all the parts in place..

CLOlDO.jpg

PPkwjM.jpg

..I just hope it holds all the weight securely later on...

..also hope I get some drawings of the upper mounts tomorrow as these are a much more distinctive shape.. also ordered some 'O' rings that are the exact dimensions of the tyres - there is a website you just type in what you want and they find it :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 27

This is fantastic!  I'm at the very beginning of building the Airfix 1/48 version and this is a real inspiration. Clearly the level of detail is going to be significantly less but I really enjoy seeing how you approach this and it's invaluable reference.  Thank you.  

I note you you said you had a PDF copy of the Westburg plans, grateful if you could point me to where you found them please?  I have the Warpaint book on the Fury and the 1/48 plans in that suggest the cockpit on the Airfix is too far to the rear. The Image of the Westburg plans in this thread suggest that's not the case which is also what I think John Adams (whose views I greatly respect on such matters) said in his Fury comparison some time ago.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, elanman said:

This is fantastic!  I'm at the very beginning of building the Airfix 1/48 version and this is a real inspiration. Clearly the level of detail is going to be significantly less but I really enjoy seeing how you approach this and it's invaluable reference.  Thank you.  

I note you you said you had a PDF copy of the Westburg plans, grateful if you could point me to where you found them please?  I have the Warpaint book on the Fury and the 1/48 plans in that suggest the cockpit on the Airfix is too far to the rear. The Image of the Westburg plans in this thread suggest that's not the case which is also what I think John Adams (whose views I greatly respect on such matters) said in his Fury comparison some time ago.

Hi & welcome to the forums :)

If you go through the contact us page on my website I can email the PDF back to you as it's not online, I got my printer to make up the PDF from images I found in an old RC Model magazing

www.airscale.co.uk

Thanks
Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, airscale said:

Hi & welcome to the forums :)

If you go through the contact us page on my website I can email the PDF back to you as it's not online, I got my printer to make up the PDF from images I found in an old RC Model magazing

www.airscale.co.uk

Thanks
Peter

Peter,

Thanks very much. I've just done exactly as you ask through the contact page on your website.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so after an early start, I am back from my research trip :)

I spoke to Guy Black this morning and he allowed me full access to K5674 in Hangar 3 in Duxford - anyone who knows the warbird circuit will know of Guy, he is a legend in bringing old birds back to life through AeroVintage & Retrotec and operating them. It was a real privelege for me

Took loads of pictures - unfortunately a tonneau cover was over the cockpit and the security guy (probably rightly) didn't want to mess with it - but for the exterior I have everything :)

..these of the U/C will definately help..

MBBFyx.jpg

1vX0oo.jpg

vLDpe7.jpg

..I then went on from there to meet up with someone who let me photograph a number of drawings - these are I think Hawker via the Danish Government for the Nimrods they operated - there is Danish sub-notes on them

I can't post or share them, but I will give you an idea of the goldmine it was for me..

..will probably remake the seat..

6SVnLi.jpg

..stringer positions on the fuselage are not on the Westburg plans as a substructure so these will be really helpful..

Ua02Ds.jpg

..like digging up history

bY8swl.jpg

..the pictures aren't great as they were just spread on the floor in a small room one at a time, but I have many useful ones and am super happy with what I got out of today

..back soon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 20

On 10/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, airscale said:

..I just hope it holds all the weight securely later on...

Peter, the way you have built the Fury thus far, I would almost hazard to say it would hold up the real thing! Your Engineering and Fabrication efforts so far are outstanding.

• Like 1

need help chaps - does anyone have even one period picture of a Fury instrument panel?

..have a few of resto's & the Nimrod, but nothing like a contemporaneous Pilots notes picture showing one back in the day

thanks in advance (& with fingers crossed)

Peter

• Like 2

Peter,

Period photos of the cockpit interior and instrument panel do seem a bit thin on the ground, it's almost as if no one thought to provide suitable pictures for modellers almost 90 years on.  I note that the last photograph of the plans you took on your trip to Duxford is titled 'Detail of Pilot's Instrument Board' so I'd expect that to give you the standard factory layout and wouldn't expect it to vary much in service? It would be interesting to compare this with the panel in the Fury at Duxford ( a few photos on line) to cross reference the drawing as a primary source and then research further any specific differences.  Yahu do a 1/48 etched panel for the Airfix kit so they may have had access to research material, it looks very similar to the panel in the restored aircraft.

Sorry not the definitive answer you might be looking for but possibly an approach. 

• Like 1

It's outstanding craftsmanship. More like engineering than modelling, a completely different world to the lumps of sanded plastic I haphazardly glue together and spray!

Looking forward to seeing it completed. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys - Chris those pics are particularly helpful - thank you

I have been at the bench, but not modelling.. I have taken the drawings and photo's I have and have prepared the PE needed for the interior of the Fury - hundreds of parts in total. I also prepared the instruments which I will get made as decals in my next airscale stock order..

first the PE fret - this has an F4U panel in the corner for a fellow modeller in 1/18 who goes to the n'th degree like I try to to be accurate in every detail (you know who you are Jay...)

..here we have brackets, IP, anciliaries, seat bits, guns bits, rudder & control stick parts and a set of formers that surround the tube structure to give 'body' to the fuselage..

sbBgSM.jpg

..a bit closer..

5BETjd.jpg

..and here is the IP taken from a drawing with the instruments I could identify for the Fury 1..

zBdhT9.jpg

the drawing is for a Nimrod, but the only difference I could find was the removal of two switches on the left of the panel..

..need to get these into PPD and Fantasy Printshop for production now, while I remake the seat as the one I made differs from the drawings..

..that was a LOT of work..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 24