McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet, Airfix 1:72

The Hornet is one of my favourite military aircraft, and actually was the first kit I ever made.

It was a 1:144 version when I was in primary school, but I don't remember the manufacturer. 

I saw this one in the local model shop and I was excited about having one in my 1:72 display case (actually, the buffet in my living room, recently emptied of cups and glasses...)

This kit is another reboxing - the model design and tooling is dated 1978, but the decals and pack design are dated 2019.

Because it's so old and pretty basic, I didn't do a WIP.

The kit went together with surprisingly little issues or fit problems, the only part that didn't fit properly was the airbrake. 

I didn't want to do any surgery so I decided to have the airbrake extended - a first for any of my kits.

There are very few decals or surface details, and no cockpit decals for the instruments.  There are moulded instruments, which require painting for detailing.

The upper surfaces are Humbrol 164 Dark Sea Grey, specified in the instructions, which I think is a bit too dark.  There are some grey USAF roundels that are not really visible because they are the same shade of grey.

I'm pretty pleased with how it went together and to have this one sitting alongside my other models - it will be joined by an F-15 and F-16 soon.

IMG_2353

IMG_2344

IMG_2345

IMG_2346

IMG_2347

IMG_2348

IMG_2349

IMG_2350

IMG_2351

IMG_2352

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Neil great to see an Airfix original F18,I've got a 1980 boxing to tackle in the future hope it turns out as well as this

one.

I just remembered, I  had an Airfix Hornet 20 odd years ago - but I don't remember what scale it was.  I never got round to building it, and I have no idea where it went.

I remember the box being white, and the aircraft on the box art had something like VFA-81 on it...  I remember that because I thought it was a misprint of FA-18 lol

I'm disappointed I never got to make it, but now I have one!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DavidRezabek said:

Nice looking F-18 Neil. I like the lines on the Legacy Hornets so much better than the Super Hornets.

Thanks, yes me too - the chines on the legacy Hornet look much nicer, and I like the rounded intakes.

Performance improvements always get in the way of looks!

I've always been into the legacy Hornet, since playing F/A-18 Interceptor on the Amiga. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...