Tiger striped Phantoms in the USAF

iainpeden

I never thought I'd say this but the post linked below by ianf on UKAR includes a Phantom scheme I had never seen before - 2 F-4Es, albeit drones, in Hill gray which had had tiger stripes applied.

Apart from a fantastic post does anybody have information about these markings or the units which may have applied them.

@Old Viper Tester and @Gene K these are for you.

https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=86474

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ianf mentioned 2 in the original post and has added a picture of the 2nd one - 68(?)-286 is the other one but its the starboard side as opposed to 73-184 port side.

EDit: looking at -286 it hasn't got any ejector seats in and the tiger camo goes over the "big lump" on the spine which is part of the drone conversion so it's post modification (too big and wrong shape for the ARN 101 antenna I think)

Ah yes, now I see it. Well, that's F-4G 69-7268, which last flew with the 23rd TFS, 52nd TFW at Spangdahlem and was converted at Marconi Flight Systems in 1999, not wearing any tiger stripes, see here: http://www.topflightimaging.com/qf_gallery/69-7268gallery.html

By the time this one was retired, the 52nd TFW didn't have any F-4E's anymore, so these two didn't come from the same unit. Some research shows the E last flew with the AFRES at Bergstrom AFB in Texas, after many years with the 4th TFW at Seymour Johnson.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, iainpeden said:

...  2 F-4Es, albeit drones, in Hill gray which had had tiger stripes applied.

Outstanding link -- worth saving for future reference. Thanks.

Gene K