Keith Park's Hurricane - OK-1

Andy G

12 hours ago, Andy G said:

Whereas the kit that I'd got out to see if the canopy was a suitable donor for this project and to rob its wheels showed a significant apparent difference in the thickness of the canopy at least one of those in the stash didn't. So perhaps there is some variation in the moulding explaining why @Dave Swindell didn't find much difference but I had. 

Interesting, Andy. A random sampling of half a dozen MkI and MkIIc canopies shows they're all 0.75-0.8mm. Arma noted that their original canopy tooling failed, I wonder if there was an interim "repaired " stage that resulted in a thicker canopy?

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:20 AM, Dave Swindell said:

Interesting, Andy. A random sampling of half a dozen MkI and MkIIc canopies shows they're all 0.75-0.8mm. Arma noted that their original canopy tooling failed, I wonder if there was an interim "repaired " stage that resulted in a thicker canopy?

Or it could be that the first one I looked at has got a bit of flash on it making it look even thicker.

Quick update on last nights plastic bothering/massacre.  I decided to have go at seeing what the Taurus vacuum canopy looked like, unfortunately I made a pig's ear of filing back the surrounds, so that's out of the equation.  Then I offered up the new mould Arma Hobby open canopy and it appeared to not be too far off fitting over the dog kennel.  Out with the file and attack the dog kennel.  Unfortunately the very top of the seat armour had to succumb as well so there will be some judicious placing of the canopy at the end.  The photos below also show the re-opened combing at the front of the cockpit.

2020-10-29-21-13-48-004

Clearly need a visit from a smoother file and a duster.

You can also see that the front of the cockpit opening has been scraped away to let the Arma Hobby windscreen sit properly

2020-10-29-21-15-07-005

With a slight downward push the canopy now sits like this

2020-10-29-21-17-08-009

And this is how the windscreen will sit.  I'm using the old closed section to prop the screen up in this shot

2020-10-29-21-18-20-011

You can see that there is quite a gap to fill at the bottom of the windscreen.  Hopefully I'll get the screen PVA'd in place tonight and can have a go at filling that over the weekend.

Cheers

Edited by Andy G
  • Like 7

Having said I was going to get the windscreen glued on Thursday night I left it to the last task to be done that night with the intention of then leaving the model alone and letting the glue dry.  This failed when it was already past time I had just have been asleep and I realised that the front of the cockpit was now light grey plastic and this would look awful.  So the last job on Thursday was brushing on more dark green.

Friday night saw most of the glassware fixed on.  I tried the Arma Hobby landing lights but they didn't fit by a country mile so resorted to the Alley Cat castings.  I'm pleased to say they fitted pretty well.  The navigation lights don't fit quite as well but are probably good enough.  The recesses on the wings were painted with Mr Hobby aluminium before anything was fitted.  The navigation lights had small holes drilled in their rear before red and green paint was applied to replicate the bulbs.  The wing glassware was then held in place with Krystal Kleer.  The windscreen was fixed with PVA with extra being applied to start filling the gaps.  The closed canopy was used to prop the windscreen in place whilst the glue dried.

The photos below are from Saturday morning after the glue had dried.

2020-10-31-11-23-45-001 2020-10-31-11-24-11-002

I've also been working on the radiator.  I'd glued most of this together but managed to stop just in time from fixing the front radiator face as I realised it couldn't be weather once fixed in place.  The seam where the front and rear outer parts of the radiator joined looked like a really good panel line and I was chuffed with it.  Then looking at photos found there wasn't a join there - out with Mr Surfacer.   The insides have been sprayed with MRP White Aluminium and the radiator faces given a black oil wash.  The whole lot was given a coating of primer before hand which I appear to have partially removed with a gluey thumbprint

2020-10-31-11-25-24-005 2020-10-31-11-25-55-007

Saturday saw Milliput applied around the base of the windscreen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

The insides have been sprayed with MRP White Aluminium and the radiator faces given a black oil wash.  The whole lot was given a coating of primer before hand which I appear to have partially removed with a gluey thumbprint

2020-10-31-11-25-24-005

AFAIK the insides are the underside colour,  and it's really worth carefully reaming out the front lip and rear sides,  as the kit parts are really chunky, and the stiffner rod

compare

hurricane_mk1_l1592_14_of_26.jpg

from here

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

sh38.jpg

sh41.jpg

Not a bad idea to add the radiator flap operating bars and the rear stiffners.   

from here

Coming alonng well Andy

:goodjob:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well it has been a long time since I updated this.  The build got interrupted by the Jadlam Hawk group build and whilst I was taking photos of some of the remaining build I've never got around to putting them up.  I had the jab yesterday and whilst I don't feel too bad I'm not sparkling either so having an easy day today so what better to do than catch up on photos.

So let's start where we left off and Troy's suggested improvements to the radiator.  Hopefully, these are better.  0.3 and 0.5 nickel silver rod were used at the rear and a single strand of 7 core layout wire fort he front.  Wish I'd thinned the rear side walls!

2021-03-20-12-33-11-020 2021-03-20-12-31-09-018

Thanks for the improvement suggestions Troy.

Main paints used are Mr Hobby Aqueous.  Wheel wells were stuffed with paper towel and white tac

2020-11-14-10-57-18-004 2020-11-22-12-37-54-005

Transfers are DK Decals mostly.  These were good but didn't quite go to plan

2020-12-23-22-38-01-001

The O folded over on itself and I couldn't extract it.  In the above I've started touching it in with white paint.  I think the problem was the water being too hot.

All the stickers on

2021-01-02-11-53-40-009 2021-01-02-11-54-04-010

The serial numbers are 6" characters from Avialogy as the DK were the later 8" version, quite pleased with how they've come out as they were a bit fiddly.  The O isn't brilliant but it'll do.

Then we jump to photos of the finished model

2021-03-20-12-16-49-002 2021-03-20-12-18-24-006

I've tried to keep the weathering restrained, especially compared with the previous hurricane.  Most of the weathering was done with Phil Flory's washes.  Exhaust stains are Mr Hobby Aqueous Tyre Rubber and then a light grey/buff mix sprayed over the top.  The aluminium wear is Mr Metal dabbed on with sponge packing material.

Aerial wire is EZLine fine black.

Gunsight bead is bent up from 0.3 nickel silver and then super glued into a hole drilled in the fuselage.  Looking at these photos it is probably too large but doesn't look too bad in reality.

The underside has had oil paints streaked for the engine leaks and gun residue.

2021-03-20-12-38-53-024

I'll post up an RFI and then link it here.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4