cheap WWII German Grey vehicle

robw_uk

loooking for some inspiration before starting a few nice kits. looking to get a cheap & cheerful german grey vehicle (large enough to try weathering so not a anti-tank gun (88mm is on santa's list)... any thoughts of what to pick up 

For me the formula would be small and fewest road wheels.  So that means Panzer marks I and II, along with the Czech made 38(t).   Panzer I has spoked wheels, so that may be a deal breaker.   An Opel truck might be an idea too.

Don't know your preferred shop, so pointless to suggest a specific kit.   Obviously 1/72 on average will be cheaper than 1/35 and larger.

regards,

Jack

Tamiya 1/35 Horch 4x4 1a  - can get the kit for about £10 and is reasonable size for trying weathering (although not a 'tank' it is a grey German vehicle)

Edited by Watto64
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

went with CMK Skda 35(t) (actually the munitions carrier but it comes with the original turret as well plus resin gerry cans so will build it with a turret). May get eduard PE but will probably add some extras myself (some fuel can racks seem to be the main addition)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about an armoured car? I'm just finishing off my first, a Sd.Kfz 222 by Tamiya. I have several other in my stash ready to go. I read somewhere that after a certain date all vehicles came out of factories in the dark yellow base coat, so I'm guessing before that there will be plenty of options to go for. If my memory serves me right early Tigers were painted grey. 

9 hours ago, Smithy1961 said:

I read somewhere that after a certain date all vehicles came out of factories in the dark yellow base coat, so I'm guessing before that there will be plenty of options to go for. If my memory serves me right early Tigers were painted grey. 

I have this saved as a Word document, source unknown:

"World War II German AFV Camouflage Painting Datasheet and Timeline

1. December 1, 1927 – Nr. 17 Erdgelb-matt, Nr. 28 Gruen-matt, Nr. 18 Braun-matt.

2. November 7, 1938 – Nr. 46 Dunkelgrau covering 2/3, Nr. 45 Dunkelbraun covering 1/3.

3. July 31, 1940 – Dunkelgrau RAL 7021.

4. February 18, 1943 – Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 basecoat, Olivgrun RAL 6003, Rotbraun RAL 8017.

5. August 19, 1944 – Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 basecoat, Olivgrun RAL 6003, Rotbraun RAL 8017 in Hinterhalt – Tarnung (the “Ambush” scheme).

6. September 31, 1944 – Rotoxid primer, “sparingly applied patches” of Dunkelgelb RAL 7028, Olivgrun RAL 6003, Rotbraun RAL 8017.

7. November 20, 1944 – Olivgrun RAL 6003 basecoat, Dunkelgelb RAL 7028, Rotbraun RAL 8017 “in sharp contours”. (To go into full effect June 1, 1945).

Tropen Pattern

1. March 17, 1941 – Grunbraun RAL 8000 covering 2/3, Graugrun RAL 7008 covering 1/3.

2. March 25, 1942 – Gelbbraun RAL 8020 covering 2/3, Sandgrau RAL 7027 covering 1/3.

Dates are Inspektorate 2 order dates.

RAL Farbtonkarte of June 1932 and RAL Farbtonkarte of February 10, 1941.

Note that RAL Farbtonkarte was revised in 1953 and 1961. Current RAL numbers, colours and titles DO NOT match World War II Numbers, colours and titles."

Panda commander

• Like 1