1/48 Academy Eagle

Great choice, love these Bitburg Eagles, such a golden era 😍

Did one in 1/32 from the Tamiya kit, still one of the best models I ever made. Hope you have the same luck with this 👍

• Thanks 1

Yes, the kit gave two pairs, one open and just one piece, then these narrower ones that came as a few individual feathers to glue around the rim, then the extra arms to add. I thought these looked decent so gave them a go, despite being quite fiddly. 

IMG-7600.jpg

A test dry fit, they seem to look ok. I'll probably go over them with dirt wash at some point to give a more burnt look. 

IMG-7601.jpg

• Like 2

Liking that a lot. Agree with bar side that  those exhausts look on a par with any nigh on twenty quid resin. And an added bonus, unlike the resin one I bought for an F-16, they actually fit!! Great work on the flying tennis court!

• Thanks 1

Peeling off the masking to reveal how well (or not!) the camo pattern looks is always one of my favourite parts of modelling. 

IMG-7612.jpg

I think I'm reasonably happy with the result. I like the shades, they look similar to in photos of real Bitburg Eagles, although it's a bit glossy. I'll give it a go over with dirtwash too to give it that dirty Euro Cold War look. They were probably only pristine for airshows and senior officers' inspections!

IMG-7613.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg

All criticisms and advice welcome while I can still attempt to do something about it!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Peeling off the masking to reveal how well (or not!) the camo pattern looks is always one of my favourite parts of modelling. 

Me too, I love a good reveal. The eagles looking well. Making me itch to take out my little Eagle (revel 1/144) but I’m being resolute; no new wip till I get my numbers down a bit more.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I wasn't happy with the join line under the nose so gave it a coat of Mr Dissolved Putty. I'll sand it then cover the rest of the airframe with a bag and respray the radome.

IMG-7650.jpg

• Like 1

Nose sanded and resprayed, and most of the stencils applied. Lots of little details to add such as the HUD, and I need to find some reference photos to see if the airbrake needs any extra detailing or dirtwash, etc. 

I'm reasonably happy with this so far, but I fear I may have made a catastrophic blunder. All photos so far have shown the intakes in the down position only when the engines appear to be running. Are they always up when everything is switched off? It's counterintuitive as they look more off when drooped and up for high speed. Anyway, it's too late now, they're glued firmly in place. I'll just have to live with it. 

IMG-7656.jpg

IMG-7657.jpg

IMG-7658.jpg

Lovely build... Despite the known issues with this kit I like Academy Eagles which I have several samples of different versions. I used one of F-15E to test my custom build Tiger scheme decal design for Monogram F-15C;

972.jpg

955.jpg

My build was not fully completed but very close to RFI..

Serkan

• Like 1