1/48 Academy Eagle

While I wait for a couple of things to finish off the Phantom, I thought I may as well start another kit. I'm still feeling the USAFE thing and after the A-10 and F-4G in Euro 1 I thought I'd go for a grey one this time.

IMG-7511.jpg

Has anyone made this Academy kit, any issues to look out for?

IMG-7513.jpg

Extra decals for the Liberty Wing:

IMG-7512.jpg

Many of us are familiar with Lakenheath's finest, so there should be plenty of refetence shots, I can probably use some of my own ...

IMG-1438.jpg

IMG-1430.jpg

The instructions call for FS36375 and FS36320. I've matched those to Tamiya sprays AS-26 and AS-25 respectively. However, are these suitable for a 48th FW jet or should they be the newer scheme which I read is FS36176 and FS36251.

Were LN Eagles ever the older scheme? I could model it based on the mid-90s rather than as they are today.

• Like 3

No less than four instrument panels are included in the kit, despite no provision to make a two-seater. However, I don't think any of them look particularly realistic, I might have to go with some aftermarket etch. 

spacer.png

Because this kit seems so old I'm tempted to change this to a Bitburg or Soesterberg Eagle and get another more modern kit for an MSIP F-15C from Lakenheath. 

• Like 2

First job, I've sanded down the cockpit panels ready for the Eduard instrument panels I've ordered.  Cockpit tub painted Humbrol 64.

spacer.png

There are a lot of indents in the air intake interiors which I filled with Mr Dissolved Putty. The kit gives the option of up or drooped intake doors so I'll use the drooped ones as most photos seem to show they're in that position.

spacer.png

Once the putty is dry and sanded I'll spray the interiors satin white.

• Like 1

Intakes sprayed inside and fitted together.

spacer.png

The fuselage halves fit together quite well. 

IMG-7521.jpg

Strangely, the wings have an extra pair of holes for an outer pylon on each one. I've never seen an F-15C with anything hung outboard, just the inner pylon for fuel tanks and/or missiles. I filled them up before gluing the wing halves together.

IMG-7523.jpg

IMG-7522.jpg

• Like 4

The wings will need some liquid putty along the roots.

spacer.png

The jet pipes on this kit are quite fiddly, with the angle making them prone to gaps between each 'feather'. I just about managed to squeeze them close enough.

IMG-2675.jpg

The insides aren't a uniform colour so although they look messy this is the example I used:

IMG-7361.jpg

• Like 4

I'm now considering changing this to a Bitburg Eagle, and do a Tamiya kit as a Lakenheath one.

Would I be right to think that 36th TFW F-15Cs would usually carry one AIM-9 training round a centreline fuel tank only on routine training sorties?

• Lord Riot changed the title to 1/48 Academy Eagle

Going off memory (and some quick img searches) there's all sorts of options used.

AIM-7 Training rounds as well. Sometimes AIM-9 on the inboard rack, sometimes outside. 

• Thanks 1

Always liked a Bitburg Eagle.  BT was the usual tailcode with the occasional CR from Soesterberg.  Must dig out the pictures from the Mildenhall 80s shows.  Mine is an early CR as that was in the kit.

eNRK5o8.jpg

• Like 4

So these all turned up today, should make things interesting! 

Plenty of decal options now so more than enough to do the Tamiya one at some point. Already tempted to do that as a 'Deadpool' one from Lakenheath. I think I need more F-15s!

IMG-7562.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Cracking collection there @bar side! That's what I'm hoping mine will end up like, though no idea where I'll fit my 1/48 F-111 when it's done. 😂 

Not got my EF-111 or TR-1 in there.  Or the Bentwaters F-16, Alconbury RF-4C, etc.  The loft is getting a little full!  Then there is the a Herc.  Got to find room for the Shackleton one day.

• Haha 1

I made some avionics black boxes for the rack in the cockpit bay, the kit just had it empty. Apparently by the mid 80s this rack would have been full. I made the hydraulic canopy remover from a 1/72 rocket head.

IMG-2683.jpg

IMG-2684.jpg

• Like 3

I expect you've already seen these, but just in case, here's a mid eighties Zulu alert scramble from Bitburg on YouTube. Sadly they don't have QRA at Lakenheath. It'd be cool to see them launch if they did.

Still loving your builds and still in awe of your productivity. You and @bar side side just get on and do all the things that I just buy and think about.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Filler said:

I expect you've already seen these, but just in case, here's a mid eighties Zulu alert scramble from Bitburg on YouTube. Sadly they don't have QRA at Lakenheath. It'd be cool to see them launch if they did.

Still loving your builds and still in awe of your productivity. You and @bar side side just get on and do all the things that I just buy and think about.

Not much going on here - living room decoration at the moment!

couple of pictures of Bitburg birds taken from the Mildenhall Airfete calendars.  Not my copyright, but too good to miss out in.

vKVR1PH.jpg

9NV3N46.jpg

p1Feqm0.jpg

• Like 3

The cockpit is such a tight squeeze I didn't need to glue it! 

IMG-7579.jpg

I cut some plastic from the sprues to act as a support and guide for the nose section for when I fit it to the main fuselage. I've a feeling the join line might need some filling and sanding!

IMG-7581.jpg

• Like 3

The intakes are a pain to fit. They're a tight squeeze widthways and the right one seemed to angle out very slightly, and looked a tiny bit further out from the nose. I had to sand down the fairing against the nose on the right side and both needed filler; the left one on the top and the right one on the side.

IMG-7585.jpg

• Like 1