Hobbycraft Stores

I was in Hobbycraft at Rushden Lakes yesterday (suitably alone, masked and socially distant, of course).  While my trip was successful in that I managed to secure every Tamiya paint on my list, I was somewhat disappointed to see that the stock of kits consisted of:

- three each of Revell's 1:32 Spitfire II and Mosquito IV;

- a small number of Italeri vehicles;

- a couple of Italeri 1:72 aircraft kits.

Nothing wrong with those kits, but that was it.  As far as I could see, nothing else, and no gaping holes awaiting restock.

I would be interested to know whether it's that particular shop, or is it a general thing?  There are more Hobbycrafts within a reasonable distance, but as I said, I got everything on my list, so no excuse to visit for the moment.  ;)

• Sad 1

I've seen lots of similar posts on Facebook too. I'm guessing its just not a viable business model any more.

With such a wide variety of kits on the market these days, you either need to have a huge selection or not bother!

• Like 2

I suspect that a lot of it is related to the covid unpleasantness.  It seems to be a world-wide problem, and not just in the hobby area. My local shop, which has a hard time anyhow competing with the big shops in the city and the online traders, has been waiting for delivery of a big order for about two months now, and still can't get any firm date for its arrival. Apparently the excuse is that covid is making it difficult to get imports through Customs.

And I'm having difficulty getting my favourite single malt! The local shop tells me that their distributor has none, because the distillery can sell all its production closer to home, and so the hassle of exporting halfway around the world isn't worth the pain. Hence The Colonies miss out.

• Sad 1

That is worrying.  I have asked my good wife to check the shelves in the local store, but she points out that she does have agents North of The Border.  Not that I'm desperately short of stock, but we could be in for the long run.  

Personally, I don't have a single favourite, having found by experimenting that there are a number of acceptable options.  Not counting those that will do in a bit of a pinch, or those that will be accepted with a grateful smile and then placed in the rear of the cabinet for emergencies.

Went to the Martlesham Heath store near Ipswich 3-4 weeks ago and whilst there wasn't a huge amount there was still quite a few on display of all kinds of manufacturers and types, nothing unusual tbh

• Like 1

I was in Dundee a couple of weeks ago to stock up on Revell Aqua and a few other bits and bobs. Apart from the one of the colours I really wanted being out of stock (of course) I didn't notice anything particularly unusual although I can't say I looked very closely. Personally I don't regard Hobbycraft as a source of kits and if it wasn't for them being the only stockist of Revell Aqua in the area I'd never go near the place.

I went to the Yeovil store on Weds as it was close to a site visit.  Lots of Tamiya kits, Revell and Airfix, only a few italeri.  Not only plenty of kits but X-20A in stock!

13 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

That is worrying.  I have asked my good wife to check the shelves in the local store, but she points out that she does have agents North of The Border.  Not that I'm desperately short of stock, but we could be in for the long run.  

Personally, I don't have a single favourite, having found by experimenting that there are a number of acceptable options.  Not counting those that will do in a bit of a pinch, or those that will be accepted with a grateful smile and then placed in the rear of the cabinet for emergencies.

Indubitably. I'm not totally deprived (depraved, maybe, but that's another story), because I can still get other Islay malts, but not being able to get my preferred tipple is off-putting!