Sunderland III not white schemes?

PhantomBigStu

Been mulling over a sunderland for a while, specifically the airfix given my local has that, but having failed with one before I do not want to paint it white, so aside from the couple of options in the Italeri kit what are my options for a non-white MkIII, or am I stuck with one of the Italeri options? 

38 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Been mulling over a sunderland for a while, specifically the airfix given my local has that, but having failed with one before I do not want to paint it white, so aside from the couple of options in the Italeri kit what are my options for a non-white MkIII, or am I stuck with one of the Italeri options? 

Could always do one of the 4 Kiwi Transports Mk III's in TSS

PR4423.t5ea33f28.m600.xYYl99jl8.jpg

MUS010872.t5eac729b.m800.xUbtNsqsP.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

After WWII they were stripped of paint and flew in Natural metal

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks guys, so it’s scratching all those aerials as per the italeri or the black one or a white one 

Get the special Hobby one, all the aerials are in the kit

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks guys, so it’s scratching all those aerials as per the italeri or the black one or a white one 

8 hours ago, Julien said:

Get the special Hobby one, all the aerials are in the kit

The Italeri Sunderland Mk III has the Mk II ASV aerials in the kit, so no need to scratch build,

alternatively you could build a MK IIIa (which is still white) which has the Mk VI ASV radomes

also, but does not provide the FN5B Mk2 Turret Glazing.

The Special Hobby kit does the have above too including correct Front turret glazing, but just bear

in mind, that if you build  your Sunderland Mk III per the Special Hobby kit instructions, you will end up

with a Mk V Sunderland with Mk III Engines

If you want to build a non white, but not one in TSS or black, you could build an RAAF one in all green

as in the link below

Scalemates - RAAF Sunderlands

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Thanks, Alan - I was going to mention 40RAAF, but you beat me to it!

As to the Aussie decals sheet it's worth noting that 40RAAF's aircraft did not usually carry armament. It was tasked with transport duties only.

• Like 1

If you have an Airfix Whitley in the stash that has the ASV antennae,....... or it is worth buying one and doing it as a bomber of the civvie version,...... of course you`s need the Coastal Command boxing. Same goes for the Coastal Wellington too.

The French used TSS/Sky Sunderland III`s from West Africa too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Re the `all black' one,...P-Peter from 230 Sqn, wearing SEAC markings,..... I have a suspicion that  the EDSG uppers were retained and that they only covered the white areas with black,........ just from studying photos mind you,.... I have no further proof,..... but it makes sense too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I want to support my local struggling shop, perhaps I’ll see if I can buy the GR wimpy sprue from Airfix 

If you want to do the Airfix model, with the Mk II ASV Aerials, perhaps someone

who has built/is building the Special Hobby Mk V could have them as spares, as they are in the

Sunderland Mk V Kit too - Just a thought?

Regards

Alan

11 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

If you want to do the Airfix model, with the Mk II ASV Aerials, perhaps someone

who has built/is building the Special Hobby Mk V could have them as spares, as they are in the

Sunderland Mk V Kit too - Just a thought?

Regards

Alan

That’s an idea, though also found WEM did a photoetch set of aerials that still available so I shall order that :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

ISTR there are quite a few more colourful schemes shown on the Warpaint book on the Sunderland.  I have a copy at home so can have a look when I get home tomorrow.  Worth getting a copy? Available from Amazon or other suppliers.

The warpaint Book is nice, and has some good general stuff in it, but for a Mk III

Sunderland the profile schemes are TSS, EDSG/DSG/White or Dark Sea Gray/white, with the

RAAF Dark Green Sunderland also as mentioned above.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

• 1 month later...

Having now ordered the aerials and all but certain to get myself that Sunderland when my local reopens later thus week, plan is to do the RB-Y as per the Italeri Kit. A assume fin flash and wing roundels as per the Airfix Kit example. But what size fuselage roundel (and where I might look for spares) and which size Xtradecal code and serial letters? 

RAAF 40 Sqn Sunderland III's retained nose and tail turrets but removed guns , had top turret removed and retained the full ASV antenna setup and were in all over Foliage Green not Dark Green , also to just above the waterline on all RAAF flying boats was coated in Lanolin , easiest way to represent that is to apply a rough coat of clear gloss to just above the waterline, the lanolin was not applied with masking just slopped on the hull , but in most photo's of RAAF Flying boats it looks like a separate colour on the lower surface 

On 12/1/2020 at 11:08 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

A assume fin flash and wing roundels as per the Airfix Kit example. But what size fuselage roundel (and where I might look for spares) and which size Xtradecal code and serial letters? 

Sorry to take a bit long in answering, had to double check as your Sunderland was

in the earlier markings (like fin strip, was red/white/blue 8 inch each stripe , where as later version was

the thin  white stripe)

So: (note mm measurements rounded to nearest two digits)

Wing Roundel 100 inch - 1/72 - 35.27mm

Fuselage Roundel 54 Inch - 1/72 - 19.05mm

Fin stripe 27 Inch high and 24 inch wide - 1/72 - H 9.5mm/ W 8.46mm

Fuselage Codes - 48 inch high - 6 inch Stroke - 1/72 - H 16.93mm/Stroke 2.11mm (Light Slate Grey Colour)

Now, I read somewhere years ago, that the Airfix Wing Roundels are larger than the 100 inch,

so may want to check on that?

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

so not a spares box job then., will have to try the wanted section, though now I'm actually warming to the one airfix did, discovered that aircraft should have the aerials I've ordered.....despite the white. 

I have the Italeri Kit (Mk III) which has the fuselage Roundels/RB-Y codes and

fin strip/serial numbers for the version you are after.

PM me your Address and I can post them to to you ( I have no use for them)

Unfortunately you will need to source the  upper Wing Roundels ( am using my ones -sorry :))

Regards

Alan

• Like 1