NEW 1/12 Ford GT40

Nick Belbin

23 minutes ago, colin said:

Yes

The majority of the painted Ninja kit is clearly masked and sprayed, whether automatically or by people on the production line. The green frame looks like it may be some variant on vapour deposition, and the ‘black chrome” is plated like most chrome sprues but with an extra layer. The parts are also moulded with thought-through sprue colours. Interestingly, the UNpainted kit apparently (according to reviews) has a “carbon weave” texture on some parts which is not present in the painted one (though those parts are precoloured in a gloss “off-black” instead.)

I’ll be weathering my GT40 to a “race-winning” look, so with luck that will blend in either colour-moulded panels or painted ones, whatever it comes with. This one will be in Tamiya paint rather than Zero base/2pack clear anyway, so the paint layers will be thinner.

Very much looking forward to seeing it when it makes its way from Hong Kong!

best,

M.

If Matt's information of cabon-type finish on the unpainted version is correct, that may be indication of two types of molds, which would add to production expense.

No matter, either type of coloration on the GT would benefit from test fitting and mock-up to verify adequate panel gaps.

And regarding paint thickness, while true about Tamiya lacquers vs Zero, I have found MRP lacquer is even thinner than Tamiya.

More pictures up on the The Modelling news site of the pre colour version, don't think I'll bother, no seam clean up of the smaller parts and while not to bad does tend to look toy like due to that

The pre coloured body panels are the ones I want to see, but if your going to have to clean up and re-paint the smaller parts the extra cost won't be worth it imho

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

Bit late but that model has shattered the good reputation I thought Meng had. If I was going to pick one it would be the Trumpeter / Magnifier and at a fraction of the Meng price currently.

Nick

Hi Nick,

please would you explain why. I´m not so familiar with racing cars, I´m an aircraft modeller, but I`ve seen the movie and I like it. A few weeks ago I got a 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935 for a bargain and now I have decided to do a few iconic racing cars in 1/12. The Meng Ford GT40 is on my list. Are there some serious issues with this kit?

Best regards, Heinz

I'm not sure what to think of it being called a 'GT40', when they weren't in period. Hopefully that doesn't bode well for the rest of the kit. I'm intrigued but I think I'll give it a miss. Mind you the Trumpeter Ford Mk.II (also boxed as a "GT40") looks very clunky.

I'm not sure what to think of it being called a 'GT40', when they weren't in period. Hopefully that doesn't bode well for the rest of the kit. I'm intrigued but I think I'll give it a miss. Mind you the Trumpeter Ford Mk.II (also boxed as a "GT40") looks clunky.

2 hours ago, Largescale32 said:

Hi Nick,

please would you explain why. I´m not so familiar with racing cars, I´m an aircraft modeller, but I`ve seen the movie and I like it. A few weeks ago I got a 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935 for a bargain and now I have decided to do a few iconic racing cars in 1/12. The Meng Ford GT40 is on my list. Are there some serious issues with this kit?

Best regards, Heinz

It's the cost side of it for me, I would think £270 UK retail, I was going to buy one but when the Magnifier one was selling for £64 I jumped at that one. For me the Meng one just isn't £210 better

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, colin said:

It's the cost side of it for me, I would think £270 UK retail, I was going to buy one but when the Magnifier one was selling for £64 I jumped at that one. For me the Meng one just isn't £210 better

I completely agree ...... but hopefully market forces will eventually drive down the price of the Meng version to

a reasonable level.

13 hours ago, Largescale32 said:

Hi Nick,

Best regards, Heinz

The movie’s pretty good although claiming to have to build a car in 90 days was a bit rich particularly as it was started two years previous. But I certainly enjoyed it.

As for the Meng kit - and I’m judging this based on pictures and is only an opinion - there are some really weird things going on: the headlight covers are wrong, they don’t reach and curve with the edge of the bodywork as much as they should and the radius on the lower inboard ‘corner’ is much too great; the roof looks too high / bulged / rounded; the rear window lacks the subtle curving; the outlet duct in the panel on the front hood lacks depth - it’s too shallow. The Trumpeter might get some criticism but overall it looks good. And they’re only £70 on ebay.

1/12 isn’t my scale otherwise I’d get one myself.

• Thanks 1