NEW 1/12 Ford GT40

Nick Belbin

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

My bank account don't like this idea :D

Same. It looks really good but I will get the Trumpeter kit instead it's just too much money for me. I can live with the inaccuracies of the Trumpeter kit since my untrained eyes can't tell the difference anyway.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dbostream said:

Same. It looks really good but I will get the Trumpeter kit instead it's just too much money for me. I can live with the inaccuracies of the Trumpeter kit since my untrained eyes can't tell the difference anyway.

I'm on the fence at the moment. The Trumpeter is 1/4 of the price I've found for the Meng one. I haven't heard of what the issues are with the Trumpeter kit. I know there are some but don't know what it is or how bad they are?

Carl

7 hours ago, FG2Si said:

I'm on the fence at the moment. The Trumpeter is 1/4 of the price I've found for the Meng one. I haven't heard of what the issues are with the Trumpeter kit. I know there are some but don't know what it is or how bad they are?

Carl

The trumpeter is a pig to build, it doesn't have a distributor, and there is no room for the spare wheel in the front compartment - oh and the tyres are not really the right profile. That said, glue the body together and paint it and the shape is pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 1:35 AM, FG2Si said:

Carl

Do you know the price of the unreleased Meng GT40 then 😁

Thant works out at a little under £200 UK, Trumpeter kit, or who ever are doing it now, here is £129. So UK it's a bargain then compared to Trumpeters one.

Probably work out more than the £200 but if the quality is as good as their 1/9 Kawasaki re-coloured kit I'm willing to go double the Trumpeter one

I've just received an email from SpotModel with a 'bargain' pre-order price of €307.80 🤣

Shipping date is 26th December. 

Hobbyeasy @ £200 plus VAT plus shipping plus carrier's handling charge must be getting close to about £275? 

Edited by elderly

I'll wait and see what the reviews are before parting with that amount of money,managed to pick up the 1/9 Kawasaki pre-coloured for £58 delivered, UK price £99 plus delivery

More pictures on The modeling news site. Does look nice, but waiting on a definite price before I jump

On 21/10/2020 at 19:26, elderly said:

I've just received an email from SpotModel with a 'bargain' pre-order price of €307.80 🤣

Shipping date is 26th December.

Yesterday SpotModel added the non-painted version of the kit for pre-order at €278.95. Estimated shipping 14th February. I changed to that.

That's a little better, but for us in the UK I wonder how little the Mini Pound Sterling will be worth

and what post-transition duties might be imposed on us next year?

It could be that the painted version ordered and paid for this year might work out cheaper 🤑

10 hours ago, colin said:

I think it's always been the non painted version to preorder as the pre coloured one won't allow a pre order.Wonder if they got the prices mixed up first time around

Yes, something was mixed up, SpotModel has changed things around over the weekend since I got my messages from them friday night asking if I wanted to change my pre-order from painted to non-painted. And now they say 26th December for the non-painted, not 14th February as they did then. Oh well...

• Like 1

I have their Kawasaki pre-coloured bike kit. The black chrome parts are brilliant and would be hard to replicate even with a airbrush to their standards. The others parts not too bad but I will probably repaint anyway.

If they can pull off the GT40 coloured panels as well as their bike, which I'm not so sure about due to the size and complexity of that one, I might be tempted. It would take a lot of hassel out of the build with the amount of stuff that is movable on the kit and painting the body so it still works

On 10/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, colin said:

I have their Kawasaki pre-coloured bike kit. The black chrome parts are brilliant and would be hard to replicate even with a airbrush to their standards. The others parts not too bad but I will probably repaint anyway.

high-left-front-quarter-L.jpg

The Ninja is a brilliant kit, and the way they've thought about the design, engineering and fit is nothing short of Tamiya quality. If I go for the non-painted GT40, my main worry would be that it'll be so precisely engineered that even a layer of paint will throw the assembly off... I suspect that either version will be a helluva kit, though...

best,

M.

• Like 1

That's what I can't get my head around with the pre coloured GT40 or even the unpainted one. How they are going to pre colour the parts with so many moveable panels on the kit.

Unless they have been really cleaver and allowed for the paint thickness when molding to allow for it

10 minutes ago, colin said:

That's what I can't get my head around with the pre coloured GT40 or even the unpainted one. How they are going to pre colour the parts with so many moveable panels on the kit.

Unless they have been really cleaver and allowed for the paint thickness when molding to allow for it

I suspect paint is not involved - more likely the parts are injection molded in those chosen colors. They would need two different sized molds ( X all the parts) to allow for paint thickness.

20 hours ago, Codger said:

I suspect paint is not involved - more likely the parts are injection molded in those chosen colors. They would need two different sized molds ( X all the parts) to allow for paint thickness.

They don't on their Kawasaki bike kits, they're painted parts