Netherlands to retire C-130's

Slater

12 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

If I were cynical, it might  occur to me to suggest that the UK may  have some "surplus" aircraft to sell following the "Defence and  Security Review".

John

You mean it might not be economical to operate ~4 types of transport planes? :devil:

C-130, A400, C-17, A-330......

but I am sure from a tactical level they all fill niche roles best undivudually....

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, Slater said:

Evidently the replacement will be the C-130J or the A400M. The C-130J would presumably be cheaper but the A400M would offer a bit more capability:

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/netherlands-to-retire-c-130s-earlier-than-planned

Where did you read the rumours about the replacement being the A400M?

For me the choice of a A400 looks to be somewhat impractical for the Dutch as the plane has indeed a larger freight capability’s but in certain area’s as it doesn’t fit the entire picture.

At least for the Germans it didn’t as they ordered twelve Hercules aircraft to fill a certain gap in which the A400 isn’t able to be operated.

Given the structure of the Dutch defense organization it I do tend to think they will choose the C130-J .

They have made wierd decisions in the past in that area in which they didn’t overthink the entire picture like the KDC-10 purchase and update or the Hercules itself with the updates they wanted for those aircraft .

This costed a lot of money which could have been better used and also was a cause to give so much problems in the early years of operation of these aircraft..
The German and French  cooperative Hercules procurement was based on the fact that they can operate were the Transall was king 🤫and that is hot remote short strips ..

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/new-c-130j-hercules-aircraft-for-koninklijke-luchtmacht

cheers , jan

2 hours ago, KoenL said:

Where did you read the rumours about the replacement being the A400M?

In the caption to the photo in the linked article:

" A competition will be run to find a successor, with both the C-130J and A400M likely to go head-to-head for the requirement."

Belgium (7) & Luxumbourg (1) have both opted for the A400M under a joint arrangement to replace C130s. Both countries have taken delivery of 1 aircraft so far. But then Belgian companies do build bits of it.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/belgiums-a400m-conducts-first-flight

While Germany seems to have decided to keep all 53 of its A400M, there was talk of the last 13 being used as part of the European Transport Wing comprising 7 European nations. The only nations contributing C130s to that were Belgium, France and the Netherlands. Both Belgium and France are in the process of replacing those with the A400M which would leave Netherlands as the odd man out. While France has 4 C130J they are AIUI for use with their special forces, not as general transports.

I think that the A400M must stand a pretty good chance from a commonality perspective when only 4 aircraft are involved. The Dutch opted for the A330MRTT as part of the NATO Multinational MRTT fleet to replace their KDC-10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slater said:

In the caption to the photo in the linked article:

" A competition will be run to find a successor, with both the C-130J and A400M likely to go head-to-head for the requirement."

Sorry I misread your comment, somehow I read that the replacement would likely be the A400M!

The RNLAF is part of the European Air Transport Command and they will soon be very A400M-heavy so the C-130 would make much more sense, and they are cheaper to buy and operate. The RNLAF is also one of the partners in the Heavy Airlift Wing that operates the C-17s out of Papá in Hungary. None of the A400M users are part of HAW and C-17s and C-130s makes for a more balanced fleet than A400Ms and C-17s IMO.

https://eatc-mil.com/en/who-we-are/the-eatc

foreseen%202025%20rev1.jpg