Jump to content

Airbrushing small amounts (siphon)


Recommended Posts

Hi all! Once again I apologize in advance if this is a very stupid question—I've been away for modeling for many years and this is the first time I'm getting into airbrushing properly.

I've a Badger 200NH siphon feed airbrush and it has been brilliant so far. What I'm finding though is that I often have to spray a very small amount of paint, for detailing or shading, sometimes only about 3 or 4 bursts, and the downside of the siphon is that I have to tip or syringe in a certain amount of paint into the jar for the tube to be able to suck it up. The vast majority of times it's way more than I actually need for the particular job so I end up having to tip it back into the paint jar, and inevitably lose some of the paint in the process. I've occasionally gotten away with just dangling the tube in a fresh open 10ml pot of Tamiya while spraying but this is likely not the best idea! The obvious solution would be to invest in a gravity feed airbrush but I'm a little tight on funds so I was wondering if anyone on here had any ingenious solutions to being able to use just a tiny amount of paint each time, in a siphon airbrush?

Many thanks all :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some siphon airbrushes have a little cup fitting as an alternative to the bottle, but not sure about the badger.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Airbrush-Brand-Metal-Siphon/dp/B00BYHWZLA

 

Edit: I should have googled properly for you!

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/badger-14ox-colour-cup-model-350/

Or this one seems listed for 200nh - seems worth contacting them for advice?

https://barwellbodyworks-shop.com/gb/accessories/252--colour-cup-14-oz-50-0483-.html

Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites

My old Badger 150 came with a cup and two sizes of jars. I've had it since about "89 or so and only used it very briefly back then. In August, I picked it up and used it for the first time on a kit. So far, I've mostly used the cup but have used the smaller jar a couple times. I haven't yet used it for small amounts of paint, but I will be soon as I have to do the yellow tips on the prop. I'll mix up the paint in a small container and transfer it to the cup with an eyedropper.

 

50171995122_59d4164cde_b.jpg

 

50181276116_ff7ea800a0_b.jpg

 

 

 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, foxhandybread said:

. . . 
I've a Badger 200NH siphon feed airbrush and it has been brilliant so far. What I'm finding though is that I often have to spray a very small amount of paint, for detailing or shading, sometimes only about 3 or 4 bursts, and the downside of the siphon is that I have to tip or syringe in a certain amount of paint into the jar for the tube to be able to suck it up. The vast majority of times it's way more than I actually need for the particular job so I end up having to tip it back into the paint jar, and inevitably lose some of the paint in the process. . . .  so I was wondering if anyone on here had any ingenious solutions to being able to use just a tiny amount of paint each time, in a siphon airbrush?

a. get a spare jar which fits your airbrush

b. put a load of plasticene or blue-tac in the bottom, maybe to 1/2 or 3/4 up.

c. embed into the plasticene a Humbrol 3ml pot with the lid cut off, or a small test-tube type tube

d. use a shorter suck-up tube

e. use a pipette to put paint mix into the smaller container for painting

if you embed the mini pot well it can stay inside the larger for cleaning, or use long nose pliers to pull it out for cleaning and replacing

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

My old Badger 150 came with a cup and two sizes of jars. I've had it since about "89 or so and only used it very briefly back then. In August, I picked it up and used it for the first time on a kit. So far, I've mostly used the cup but have used the smaller jar a couple times. I haven't yet used it for small amounts of paint, but I will be soon as I have to do the yellow tips on the prop. I'll mix up the paint in a small container and transfer it to the cup with an eyedropper.

I'm just the opposite -- with my Badger Anthem (also a siphon-feed), the cup is all I ever use. I've learned to mix up slightly more of any color than I expect to use...since I know I'll end up needing it for touch-ups.

As far as 'paint waste' in comparison to gravity-feed models, there's virtually none. I can spray down to literally about a drop left in the cup.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thorfinn said:

I'm just the opposite -- with my Badger Anthem (also a siphon-feed), the cup is all I ever use. I've learned to mix up slightly more of any color than I expect to use...since I know I'll end up needing it for touch-ups.

As far as 'paint waste' in comparison to gravity-feed models, there's virtually none. I can spray down to literally about a drop left in the cup.

 

I tried that once so far, but I got the mixture off or not mixed right and it didn't spray well. Maybe after I used it more, I'll get the hang of it.

 

 

 

 

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow thanks chaps, some really great suggestions here!

 

@malpaso @dogsbody @thorfinn - definitely going to investigate the cup attachment option, this looks super handy. I find I very rarely need the capacity of the full jar so a cup would be perfect. Will report back with findings :)

 

@Black Knight - now that is something I would never have thought of! I have a whole bunch of the little 3ml humbrol jars that i thought I'd not use but this sound great! Might try this method first :)

 

Much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...