OH-13S Scout, Ahn Khe, Vietnam, 1965

Another COVID build of the Italeri 1/72 OH-13S.  Italeri really makes great helicopter kits.  They truly are little jewels.  I added an M-60 machine gun in the cockpit, seatbelts and tail rotor control cables.  

My Commanding Officer was a 19 year old gunner/observer serving aboard one of these scout birds in South Vietnam.  He was badly wounded in 1966 while flying a recon mission when a Vietcong guerilla shot him at close range with an AK-47.  His pilot was a young Warrant Officer about his age, who flew him to a ground cavalry unit, where a medic stopped the bleeding and evacuated him to a field hospital; then on to Japan.  He later recovered and went on to serve 40 years as a helicopter pilot and Colonel.  I hope you enjoy the pics!

Found a picture of the actual Sioux, same tail number, as the model.  Note the landing conditions.

IMG_3731 (2)

IMG_3762 (2)

IMG_3756 (2)

IMG_3760 (2)

IMG_3755 (2)

IMG_3752 (2)

62456255784__BA3C1676-0765-4B60-BA3F-245E528F29EC (2)

IMG_3761 (2)

IMG_3758 (2)

IMG_3742 (2)

IMG_3757 (2)

IMG_3753 (2)

IMG_3759 (2)

IMG_3754 (2)

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Love it! Such an iconic little helicopter. I fell in love with it watching MASH many moons ago, but still haven't made one. You've done a great job and enthused me to get one and have a go myself. How is the metal reinforcing strip landing area done?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Very neat OH-13/Bell 47 chopper, and the hinted-at setting really makes it stand out.

It's not you fault, nor Italeri's, that the styrene injection technique isn't able to reproduce the fineness of the truss tail. For that matter, the alternative method, flat etched metal, doesn't really look like the original pipework either.

Considering these almost impossible to overcome hurdles, you have created a most excellent Braille scale replica of this trailblazing helicopter!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Love it! Such an iconic little helicopter. I fell in love with it watching MASH many moons ago, but still haven't made one. You've done a great job and enthused me to get one and have a go myself. How is the metal reinforcing strip landing area done?

Cheers

Pete

I got the base from Coastal Kits Bases.  This one is for a Vietnam helicopter display.  They do carriers, concrete pads, helipads etc.

• Thanks 1

What a little beauty, love it.  The added detail really improves the look of it.

I have a load of helicopter kits in the stash that served in Vietnam including this one.  Have you built the OH-6 at all?  That is another little gem of a model.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

What a little beauty, love it.  The added detail really improves the look of it.

I have a load of helicopter kits in the stash that served in Vietnam including this one.  Have you built the OH-6 at all?  That is another little gem of a model.

A long while back I did the Revell 1/32 OH-6.  Next up is an F-100, then an Alouette II 

• Like 1

Beautiful!  Really a gem, and you've done it justice.  During my late father's first combat tour--in 1965--in Tay Ninh, he flew several fire-direction missions on the OH-13 (and O-1) from the observer's seat.  No armor protection of any kind, but he returned safely each time, a credit to the W/Os who piloted these.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  Really a gem, and you've done it justice.  During my late father's first combat tour--in 1965--in Tay Ninh, he flew several fire-direction missions on the OH-13 (and O-1) from the observer's seat.  No armor protection of any kind, but he returned safely each time, a credit to the W/Os who piloted these.  

Your dad is a true hero!  Those were not safe missions!

• Thanks 1