[Finished] Two Sopwiths and a Funeral...

A night of thoroughly drying and a day of work helped to let it set, and it seems to hold:

39851770nq.jpg

Also the uplifting of the seat seem to work, it looks to me like a proper height now:

39851772kw.jpg

39851775ft.jpg

All dryfitting, still. But closing of the halves seems to be not that far away.

Prior to closing I will mount the cables for the heck, rudder and elevators from the inside - and not to forget the tail skid! 😉 

• Like 7

Bit of a late night build, but finally managed to close the fuselage (engine's not glued in yet, but fits nicely):

39859620yk.jpg

39859621op.jpg

39859622hl.jpg

Used Uschi vdR's rigging cable for the heck, and man, are these cables thin. Bit too thin, maybe, and was kind of a struggle to get these in, but here we are now.

And did not forget the tail skid. 😉

That's it for now, I'll dream of Snoopy in his camel now. Good night, my dear friends, and sleep well...

• Like 6

Sopwith Camel

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Bri/SopCamel/index.html

Aviation photos on Jetphotos Sopwith  F1 Camel.

https://www.jetphotos.com/showphotos.php?aircraft=Sopwith Camel F.1

Sopwith Camel Photos and Pictures - AirTeamImages.com https://www.airteamimages.com/search.php?srch_keyword=Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel | BAE Systems | International https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/sopwith-camel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, many thanks for all the support and resources here - very much appreciated.

Progress here is quite slowly, right now i happen not to find larger chunks of spare time than half an hour, so progress is limited, I'm afraid. So I just happened to smoothen the body halves up and down...

39943352gm.jpg

39943350lh.jpg

The tailfeathers still hanging loose...

39943355sy.jpg

This is one of the next steps after mounting the wings, to finish the tail and close the tail rigging.

• Like 3

As do so many others, this thread went under my RDF... Your work looks absolutely fine right now. And you still didn't break off the tail skid! Happened to me twice within two days, which is why I keep it in a little box (somewhere) to add when almost all is done, whenever that may be. I'll be following your build instead if you'll have me!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

As do so many others, this thread went under my RDF... Your work looks absolutely fine right now. And you still didn't break off the tail skid! Happened to me twice within two days, which is why I keep it in a little box (somewhere) to add when almost all is done, whenever that may be. I'll be following your build instead if you'll have me!

That's a bit of the issue - the builds one misses when he's doing a WIP. 😉

The skid is one thing, but the wires are the one that really scares me - it's Uschi's "almost-not-there"(means super thin) rigging wire, which is too thin for 1/48. But I've glued it in, so it stays. 

In the meantime there is some kind of a quite tedious late night work happening, almost finished for the see-through-preshading-masking on the Camel.

39952128za.jpg

Tomorrow's a good days for continuing on the Strutter...

• Like 3

I've finished the preshade see-through masking on both the Camel as well as on the Strutter and here we go:

The Camel, with a base layer of linen-ish cream, to have a contrast to the planned Brown-Grey struts preshading (the blueish drops are masking liquid, as you might guess):

39972443vv.jpg

On the clear Roden Strutter kit, I thought it's a good idea to do only preshading the struts, and let the rest transparent, cause, hey, that's the desired effect, right? Semi-opaque, transparent, you name it. 

39972446gt.jpg

Guys, let me tell you this was the most pesty work I've did in modelling for ages. Not only modelling; I volunteer in the more nasty parts of housework for the next half year, if I don't have to do that again. I'll do the cat litter. But I won't do that again.

The transparent plastic makes it almost impossible to see anything and place the masking stripes correctly, while also it is super slippery - nothing sticks. My guess is Roden did it for the very reason to support the opaque look, but definitely not to ease the modellers life.

Ok, off the steam. I'll let it dry and see if I can do the painting a bit later...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, this took me some time.

Not only did I underestimate the closing of our first full fiscal year of our company, also my old Revell airbrush compressor finally deceased after long time suffering. As i wanted some more "professional" after the more toy-like Revell (which lasted more than 12 years, so no complaints), but didn't want to spent too much money (think Revell-range) it took me some time to find something second hand that fits.

I don't have a picture of the compressor, but at least can show the change on the aibrush side. That's before:

40139470ey.jpg

and that's now:

40139471nr.jpg

Will see how this improves work. Funny enough it feels quite good, even with the big connector, but didn't have the chance to practise that much.

But back to the Sopwiths. I removed the masking strips, and the mere amount of it show a bit of the labour involved, even after it it was rather a mess.

40139468rs.jpg

I did require some corrections, but that's the state so for, here's the Camel:

40139447br.jpg

and the strutter:

40139449fx.jpg

I'm really interested how this turns out, if the effect is on the more subtle than on the overwhelming side, I am not sure if I'll do this on all of the kits planned. Hopefully can continue with the paint the next days...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry for being off this for some time, but recent days I just felt like working on a bit here.

Honestly, I felt the outcome from all the work, creating the see-throgh effect, a bit, well, "underwhelming". Here's the lower wings from the Camel:

40911270de.jpg

I guess to create a stunning effect here it takes some more skillful management of masking tape and airbrush, so I guess this won't becoming a regular for me. But hey, been there, done that.

• Like 3

Also did work a bit on the fuselage, and it seems as it's comming together. Added some photo etch on the exterior as well as added the wood grain decals on the cockpit cover, and did some dry fitting. It seems to fit well, but didn't want to push it to far, so please forgive the gaps.

40911331du.jpg

40911332yy.jpg

40911334xi.jpg

Other than all the work for the rib structure masking the resin wicker seat really looks good. I remember I ordered these almost exactly a year ago and did wait around a month to arive, but was definitely worth it.

• Like 4

But I started some work on the strutter as well.

I wasn't to happy with what's provided with the kit as interiour in general, as with the dashboard specifically. It's a rather basic PE piece, which probably could be turned into something ok-ish, but nothing spectacular:

Here it is, I think it's #4, but you can easily guess:

40911474sg.jpg

But I do have a slight fetish for brass-and-gold-kinda WWI dashboards, so I bought this some while ago:

40911525mp.jpg

I'm afraid one can't see on the pics, it's a set of 1/48 PE bezels and decal set from airscale, and did some scratchbuilding.

Here's the outcome

40911547bo.jpg

Not perfect, but way better than anything that could be made out of the kits part. With some practise one could add more wires, but for a first it's ok for me.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm afraid I was a bit lazy in posting things, not that so much had happened. I just started to work on the Strutter, and tried to beef up the rather frugal interior.

I didn't find too much information, so rather a work of fantasy, but at least adds a bit of live here.

Here's a still life of the workbench with a few pieces, I'm currently working on.

41011857rn.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steben said:

I love Sopwiths. What can I say. They smell like victory or something. The chromesilver, wood and drab/linnen with roundels.... perfection.
What did you use for the PC10?

Yes, these are true icons. hands down.

For the PC I used standard Revell 46 olive drab. I thought it looks good, and as PC10 isn't something that never changed, I took the freedom.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about the scheme for the strutter.

While time passed by, I got me the indispensable "British Two-Seater of the Gret War" by Ronny Bar, where I found a 1916 profile with an all natural scheme, linen and wood of a two seater strutter. Maybe I take some freedom here as well and adopt it, with an (more light and brownish) PC 10 on the upper surface, something I seen on a Pup.

In the meantime I drilled the holes for the rear wings rigging - a pain in the youknowwhere with this clear plastic. Maybe I post pictures, maybe just after the paintjob. Pheew...

• Like 2