How to Build Plastic Aircraft Models by Roscoe Creed

Ron NL-S

I was wondering if any has this book and could tell me if it is worth purchasing?

I am a complete novice when it comes to airplanes (really that different from armour in 1/35?) and I have acquired some in 1/48.

This book appears to be rather dated.

It is also stated that this is volume 7.... 7 in a series on planes or 7 in a series on the whole spectrum of building?

spacer.png

I had that book years ago and I seem to recall it being quite serviceable As you pointed out, however, it's quite dated. The 'basics' haven't really changed that much, but the 'advanced' advice probably pre-dates most or much of the advances in photo-etch and resin, to say nothing of pre-colored parts and 3D printing on demand.

It might pay to check your local library; they may have a copy gathering dust on a shelf somewhere

• Like 1

I haven't seen the book, so can't really comment on how useful it is, unfortunately. I have a similar book from Kalmbach Books, which I dip into every few months. 

If you fancy saving the cost of the book, there are dozens of good Youtube videos on model-making (although a small percentage do feel like they have been posted as a memorial to the creators' ego, to be honest). The quality of the videos does vary, but the best ones are extremely informative). 

If you want a good, cheap book about modelling, I would recommend "The Verlinden Way Volume 1: On Plastic Wings". Due to its age, it can be picked up for a very reasonable price now. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris.  

• Like 1