Airfix P-51D Mustang 1:72

On 10/17/2020 at 10:30 AM, Andy Evans said:

I use a 4mm dia clear acrylic rod with a steel pin drilled and inserted into one end.

..great idea. Most people seems to end up gouging out huge holes in their models when doing the acrylic rod thing. What about the other end ?

On 10/16/2020 at 4:45 AM, Andy Evans said:

Yep, the radio mast completely disintegrated as I tried to get it off, maybe one day I'll scratchbuild one and add it.

Teeth from plastic combs make good substitutes for fragile kit radio masts (don't ask me how I know this). Combs are cheap and come in a variety of sizes, and the teeth can easily be re-shaped if necessary.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

..great idea. Most people seems to end up gouging out huge holes in their models when doing the acrylic rod thing. What about the other end ?

Just a 4mm hole through the wooden plinth at a suitable angle, holds firm enough but can be twisted to re-position if necessary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, prosser said:

Can I ask what NMF you have used??  I have a few ALDI starter P51's but have not had the courage to have a go with them yet due to concerns over NMF...…...

Thanks for any advice...…….

Martyn

Hi Martyn, I used the technique that Spencer Pollard outlines in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_SUXDTQag

• Like 1

On 03/11/2020 at 16:51, Andy Evans said:

Hi Martyn, I used the technique that Spencer Pollard outlines in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_SUXDTQag

Thanks very much Andy.  The problem comes when you are a humble brush modeller.  My modelling is done on the kitchen table, so air brushes are a non starter.  I remember my youthful efforts with Humbrol 11 never seemed to dry....!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, prosser said:

Thanks very much Andy.  The problem comes when you are a humble brush modeller.  My modelling is done on the kitchen table, so air brushes are a non starter.  I remember my youthful efforts with Humbrol 11 never seemed to dry....!!

No problem. I used paint decanted from a Tamiya spray can (AS12) so you could always use it straight from the can instead. Doesn't help you with highlighting different panels but definitely a good base.