Airfix P-51D Mustang 1:72

Morning folks,

So this is my latest piece. I had some trouble with the yellow wing stripe decals so decided to leave them off; call it artistic expression 😉

First attempt at a natural metal finish and pleased with the result, maybe have to do another one as I love the way the colours really pop on this.

Thanks for looking.

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

Another great model Andy, well done 👍

I see you left the radio mast off, is that because it broke coming off the sprue? I know it did in mine.

I really like the In flight display. Got any more planned?

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Another great model Andy, well done 👍

I see you left the radio mast off, is that because it broke coming off the sprue? I know it did in mine.

I really like the In flight display. Got any more planned?

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg.

Yep, the radio mast completely disintegrated as I tried to get it off, maybe one day I'll scratchbuild one and add it.

Next up is the Airfix Zero, got to have some villains in the collection 😉

• Like 2

These, relatively inexpensive, AIrfix kits are very enjoyable builds. Did you pick yours up from Aldi or LIdl? They usually do a few at Christmas, which is where I got a couple of P-51's and Bf 109's. 

Hopefully, with a bit of effort mine will turn out as well as yours.

I look forward to seeing the Zero.

Cheers Greg🍺

I got a few of their starter sets at Aldi last year, that's probably what kick-started this for me. As you say, quite cheap and reasonably quick builds compared to what I am used to. Got a couple of 109's and 190's but still trying to work up the courage to tackle the mottling. Maybe one day 😀

Maybe not as popular but I think aircraft look far better displayed in the environment they were designed for so I like to pose them in flight. Once I figure out how to photograph the prop blur a little better I'll be happier but photography is a black art to me.

Cheers

• Like 1

Really awesome build of this kit and great NMF. Pilot should be black though - as this is Spurgeon Ellington's aircraft. Ellington was one of the Tuskegee Airmen (and he was from Winston-Salem, NC, which happens to be the home town of my wife). But maybe on this occasion the aircraft was flown by a white pilot ;)

• Like 3

Very nice looking :)

Really must try and find one, they're a bit sparse over here.

8 hours ago, Andy Evans said:

Once I figure out how to photograph the prop blur a little better I'll be happier but photography is a black art to me.

Depends a bit on how you let your props spin (hair dryer? good trick!), but you could try playing with the shutter speed on the camera. 
I do a bit of warbird photography, and IRL props get that nice blurred-but-visible effect round 1/200-320 shutterspeed. 

To stick with the theme:

y4mNhtyjFZ8QNKkaKWEM8yBcmYv2SwjF3zjsnSse

• Like 3

Fantastic work! I appreciate that very much. I saw some things called shadow stands with the silhouette of the plane , you can buy somewhere in the UK.it is lasercut and from Plexiglass. It will be one of my next project’s. By the way I saw a fantastic work with spinning props on Hyperscale in one of the latest articles done by R. Sachsenhofer. He shows an article with his Bf108 in flight and explains how he had done it. It is worth to take a look out there.

best regards

Andy 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Fantastic work! I appreciate that very much. I saw some things called shadow stands with the silhouette of the plane , you can buy somewhere in the UK.it is lasercut and from Plexiglass. It will be one of my next project’s. By the way I saw a fantastic work with spinning props on Hyperscale in one of the latest articles done by R. Sachsenhofer. He shows an article with his Bf108 in flight and explains how he had done it. It is worth to take a look out there.            https://www.modeldesigns.co.uk/product-page/shadow-stands

best regards

Andy 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, elger said:

Really awesome build of this kit and great NMF. Pilot should be black though - as this is Spurgeon Ellington's aircraft. Ellington was one of the Tuskegee Airmen (and he was from Winston-Salem, NC, which happens to be the home town of my wife). But maybe on this occasion the aircraft was flown by a white pilot ;)

5 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

For a figure modeller you certainly turn out good-looking airplanes.

Pilot looks a bit... pale.  

So yes, my bad. Should have done a little research. As it turns out I did actually watch "Red Tails" the other night and it all fell into place; bit late to do anything about it though, I'm afraid.

14 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Very nice looking :)

Really must try and find one, they're a bit sparse over here.

Depends a bit on how you let your props spin (hair dryer? good trick!), but you could try playing with the shutter speed on the camera. 
I do a bit of warbird photography, and IRL props get that nice blurred-but-visible effect round 1/200-320 shutterspeed. 

To stick with the theme:

y4mNhtyjFZ8QNKkaKWEM8yBcmYv2SwjF3zjsnSse

That is just the kind of effect I was trying (and failing) to achieve. Oddly enough it works fine if I use my phone !

Problem is I am using a high f-stop, probably f-25, to get the maximum depth of field with my Nikon. Using such a high setting means that the shutter is open for too long (to let the maximum amount of light in) so no matter how slowly the prop is spinning it will always look too fast and just show the disc. The answer I suppose is to use more light and a higher shutter speed and this is what I need to experiment with. Failing that there is always photoshop. 😀

Edited by Andy Evans
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

SUPERB! I have to ask (the stupid question); how is it fixed on the stand? I'm assuming, because there wasn't a monster sized hole in the underside of your Spitfire, you must be using magnets?!

No rocket science to the way I do it, although I didn't think of magnets !

I use a 4mm dia clear acrylic rod with a steel pin drilled and inserted into one end. If you cut the rod at an angle it allows a certain amount of variation in the angle of support. A corresponding hole is drilled into the aircraft somewhere around the centre of gravity, usually backed up with a small block of styrene inside to add some rigidity. Then simply a case of glueing it on once the preferred angle is chosen.

Also a good idea to scrape the paint off where the rod meets the aircraft so there is a good mating surface for the glue (5min. epoxy)

20201017_100851.jpg

20201017_100738.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1