Trivia Question

GordonD

9 hours ago, Rob998 said:

That took some googling.... err, research...😃!

They were all launched into space on their birthdays.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a winner!

They were indeed all launched on their birthdays. I only spotted the Kathy Rubins connection after I'd posted that the Soyuz had arrived at the ISS. I knew that Dick Truly had been first on STS-2 in 1981 and thought they were the only two. Good thing I checked, as STS-85 was launched in 1997 on Rominger's 41st birthday. (For the record, Truly was 44 and Rubins is 42. It's a sobering thought for those of us who watched them as they happened that astronauts are flying who weren't even born at the time of the Moon-landings.)

• Like 1

On the subject of ages, the youngest person in space was Gherman Titov, who was just 25 years 329 days old when he was launched on Vostok 2. The oldest, as is commonly known, was John Glenn, who was launched on STS-95 at the age of 77 years 103 days.

The space traveller with the earliest birth date (not the same thing) is Joe Walker, born 20 February 1921 - he made two sub-orbital X-15 flights in 1962 - these crossed the Karman line of 100km altitude, making him the first man to go into space twice. If you want to restrict it to orbital flights, then the honour goes to Georgi Beregovoi of Soyuz 3, born 15 April the same year.

The space traveller with the most recent birth date - which of course will change in the future - is Ivan Vagner, born 10 July 1985. He is on the ISS at the moment, coming to the end of Expeditions 62/63.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Michael Morris said:

Nice bits of spaceflight trivia, thanks

Oh, once I get started...

The Vostok cosmonauts have died in the same order in which they flew.

• Like 2