New 1:24 Airfix Spitfire mk1a

geedubelyer

5 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Well I now have it....🤩

First inspection shows that other than some fine flash on one spru it is cleanly moulded, not bad for tools made in 1970! 

It will clean up easily. 

As well as improving the cockpit as mentioned previously all that needs to be done is to detail the wheel wells, not a very big job. 

I plan to close up the gun bay doors and engine panels, to make them worth displaying a lot of work would be needed, so this will be "ready for flight"! 

Not sure when this will be done, when the Harrier FGR 3 and my "What If" Grumman Tomcat F14 FGR 3 

are finished I have the Revell 1/32nd Hawker Hunter, started in 1999, to finish, completing all my "long term projects!"

Hi Peter 

I have done a few of the Spitfires and recently the Hurricane. You may have to do a bit of fetling on the engine panels if you want them closed as from memory they are not a good fit once its altogether.

I have recently resurrected my Revell 1/32 Hunter that I started in the 90's. I got at the time I think just about every AM set that was available, resin seat, all of the Flightpath sets, tow bar, ladder, gun pack.

Worked on them when I was in the RAF in the 80's. Absolutely beautiful aircraft (as were most of Hawkers). Plan to do 56 which I spent many hours on and I believe was the very last Hunter in RAF service.

Look forward to seeing both of yours 

Take care 

Si

• Like 1

Si, the Hunter will have a silver bottom, simply because I like the "look"! 

I have a number of options, but probably XE 552, a FGA 9 based with 54 Squadron at West Raynham in the 1960s, delivered in December 1965 and written off in 1981, a good life!  

I'm also fortunate that down at BDAC we have the ETPS Hunter, XF 375, so I can have a really good nose round.

They are one of the most elegant machines of the period and prove the old adige "if it looks good it will fly well"... a bit like the Spitfire.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Si, the Hunter will have a silver bottom, simply because I like the "look"! 

I have a number of options, but probably XE 552, a FGA 9 based with 54 Squadron at West Raynham in the 1960s, delivered in December 1965 and written off in 1981, a good life!  

I'm also fortunate that down at BDAC we have the ETPS Hunter, XF 375, so I can have a really good nose round.

They are one of the most elegant machines of the period and prove the old adige "if it looks good it will fly well"... a bit like the Spitfire.  

Hi Peter 

I'm totally with you on that, absolute elegance. Sitting in the cockpit, everything just seemed right, just as the pilots used to say about the Spitfire,  you were a part of the machine.  (well apart from the Hunter T7 that is 😱🤣🥴).

I wish I had taken more but I have a few pics, if you would like I could send them to you?

I've not researched it properly yet but I think there is also a 1/32 Hawk T1 out there, which I moved over to from the Hunter, wouldn't mind getting that as well to go alongside the Hunter, of course though there is always the SWMBO to deal with 😁 we shall see🥴

Take care and safe 

Si 

18 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Peter 

I'm totally with you on that, absolute elegance. Sitting in the cockpit, everything just seemed right, just as the pilots used to say about the Spitfire,  you were a part of the machine.  (well apart from the Hunter T7 that is 😱🤣🥴).

I wish I had taken more but I have a few pics, if you would like I could send them to you?

I've not researched it properly yet but I think there is also a 1/32 Hawk T1 out there, which I moved over to from the Hunter, wouldn't mind getting that as well to go alongside the Hunter, of course though there is always the SWMBO to deal with 😁 we shall see🥴

Take care and safe 

Si 

Si, 

I have the Revell 1/32 Hawk T1, it is moulded in bright red plastic as it is intended to be a Red Arrows machine. I am going to paint it in RAF WWII Dark Earth and Dark Green, with Silver undersides, as applied to 19 Squadron Spitfires in 1938 at Duxford. Hawk XX 184 was sre finished in these colours in 2008 to mark 70 years since the Spitfire was taken into service. Xtradecal issued a set of markings in 1/32 scale! 

This model is also in the waiting room for attention....!

I've sent you a private message with my e-mail, I'd really appreciate copies of your Hunter photos! 

Peter

4 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Do you mean the 1/32nd scale Revell Hawk Si?

If so I think you'll enjoy it. 

@224 PeterPeter, good to hear your thoughts on the kit. I will keep an eye out for your WIP thread. 

Hi geedubelyer

Yes I think its.  I was about to re-start the Hunter but other builds started to get in the way and now Im doing a 1/16 VW T1 for a friend.  Not that Im complaining but the Hunter is slowly moving down the queue 😪

On 28/12/2020 at 15:18, Mike said:

OP has asked for this to be moved to Chat after the monumental thread drift it has encountered.  About to do that now :)

Just so we're clear, I didn't ask for the thread to be moved folks. 

I can understand the reason and agree that we have mentioned aircraft from other eras but I'm not unhappy about the way things have gone. 

Tbh, buried down here in chat I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we see of this thread. It took me all my time to find it and I was looking for it😆

Thanks for everyone's contributions and good luck with your builds guys.

Cheers. 

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...