New 1:24 Airfix Spitfire mk1a

geedubelyer

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Seeing how popular this re-pop has been, hopefully Airfix will do another run asap. 

I don;t think they are done with this run, just that the first batch of the present run have sold and others will be along as soon as they pop out of the logistics chain

• Like 1

Hi Peter and geedubelyer,

3 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

I'm mulling over after market exhausts. 

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Those 3D printed exhaust stubs linked to earlier in the thread look pretty good. The aft most pipe might need a bit of modification depending on the airframe being modelled but otherwise they look ok. 

I'm not sure that the fishtail exhausts are correct for the Mk.1 Battle of Britain Spitfire, not from the photos I've seen. More for a Mk.V?

The Model Monkey ones however are correct for the Mk.1 and look well cast;

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-24-spitfire-seafire-and-hurricane-merlin-engine-exhausts-orange-slice-type

Just the cost (and time - 8 weeks) of shipping puts me off. Then there's the possible tax and admin charges Royal Mail add when they arrive. :huh:

Cheers,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Any chance of a close up photo or two of the parts please?

Cheers

Your wish is my command, so to speak! 

spacer.png

And the instruments and seat belts...

spacer.png

The seat belts raise a question: the instructions show them with a generic seat. The spitfire seat has a hole at mid lower back. Should any part of the belts go through this hole? 

As always, any advice or suggestions very much appreciated! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

The spitfire seat has a hole at mid lower back. Should any part of the belts go through this hole? 

The diagram in this link suggests the strap goes through the hole.

And this is what some modellers do.

But the instructions say down the back of the seat!

In the IWM 'The Daily inspection of a Spitfire' film, part 2 - The Flight Rigger, it shows the rigger checking the operation of the harness at 7m 45s into the film. Both parts of the 'Y' shoulder straps appear to go back through the seat armour.

So I'm not sure and would like to know the answer too!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Your wish is my command, so to speak! 

spacer.png

And the instruments and seat belts...

spacer.png

The seat belts raise a question: the instructions show them with a generic seat. The spitfire seat has a hole at mid lower back. Should any part of the belts go through this hole? 

As always, any advice or suggestions very much appreciated! 

Peter, those parts are very nice, but I'm sure you're aware that the gun switch on the column is different on a Mk I.

• Like 1

I'm aware, but not sure when it was changed and if there was any retrofitting at Squadron level. 

Without a cockpit photo I cannot know if the A/C I'm modelling has the early or later... also the serial number of the A/C LO - D is painted out, so there is no way of checking that way...

Anyone know more?  

8 hours ago, Rolls-Royce said:

Peter, those parts are very nice, but I'm sure you're aware that the gun switch on the column is different on a Mk I.

I think Rolls-Royce is right. The gun switch is for the cannon armed Spit and hence the 3 pneumatic lines running down the column. The Mk.1 only had 2 lines.

Sorry! This is probably not what you wanted to hear. But still much better than the Airfix control column and could be modified?

• Like 1

Hello Johnson, the Model Monkey exhausts look superb. Perhaps the rear most stub might need minor modification to look more uniform along it's length? The ones in your link have more of a trumpet mouth appearance which differs from the reference photos. 

@224 Peter, thanks for posting those photos up. The resin does look nice and crisp. 

Definitely options to consider so far. 

At this large scale it would be nice to try to do it justice. 

• Like 1

I've been occasionally following this thread.

As a result I went and bought a control column & quadrant as well,  for my Vb build.

In that kit the control column was mis-moulded and I made a mess of trying to make it good

I bought the resin parts very late on the 12th and just got them in the post today, the 14th. Pretty speedy even by Spitfire standards

• Like 1

I am a bit confused by the comments about modifying the Model Monkey exhausts.

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-24-spitfire-seafire-and-hurricane-merlin-engine-exhausts-orange-slice-type

The product looks pretty good to my eyes, as it comes.

• Like 1

I agree Peter, they look good. But the rear exhausts have a trumpet like end, slightly splayed, and if you look at the photos of them on the aircraft (that they helpfully show) the ends of the real ones tapers.

• Like 1

Hi Peter. The part that Johnson describes is what I was alluding to. The rearmost exhaust pipe resembles the barrel of a blunderbus when many of the full sized articles are a more uniform, straight, tubular section. It shows quite nicely in the reference photos used by Model Monkey in that link.

I’m not sure if every exhaust is the same though so studying references of the kite that one might wish to build should help decide whether any modification is necessary. 

HTH

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
Additional info added
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Johnson said:

I agree Peter, they look good. But the rear exhausts have a trumpet like end, slightly splayed, and if you look at the photos of them on the aircraft (that they helpfully show) the ends of the real ones tapers.

12 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi Peter. The part that Johnson describes is what I was alluding to. The rearmost exhaust pipe resembles the barrel of a blunderbus when many of the full sized articles are a more uniform, straight, tubular section. It shows quite nicely in the reference photos used by Model Monkey in that link.

I’m not sure if every exhaust is the same though so studying references of the kite that one might wish to build should help decide whether any modification is necessary. 

HTH

Cheers.

Ah, yes, get your points well made. Email sent to see if they can modify the print.

Edit - got a reply, unfortunately the print cannot be changed

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 2

For checking details of the Mk.1 exhausts (and just about everything else!) there is an excellent Britmodeller walkaround;

There are walkarounds for other Spitfire marks as well.

• Like 1

Well, after desperately trying to avoid buying one of these I’m afraid my determination waned and I pulled the trigger. 🤓

Whether it’ll ever get built is another matter but it should be fun fondling the sprues in all of their flash bestowed glory. 😆

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Well, after desperately trying to avoid buying one of these I’m afraid my determination waned and I pulled the trigger. 🤓

Whether it’ll ever get built is another matter but it should be fun fondling the sprues in all of their flash bestowed glory. 😆

I think its 3 I've made know and it's a great kit to build. Put aside all the clean up it has in this scale so much potential, engine detail, wheel wells cockpit. Go for it I'm positive you will enjoy every minute, bar a few

Si

• Like 4

21 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Well done!! 

Mine has been confiscated by SWMBO as a Christmas present, but I've already spent more than the cost of the kit on "after market" stuff.... 

I built this when it came out.... 

This time it will be a lot better... 

I'm looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I ought to build one of mine. Last time I did it was 1971

Go for it. You know you wanna😆

@224 Peter I suspect mine might suffer a similar fate but at least there'll be something to open on Christmas morning. 

It'll be like being a kid again😃

Edited by geedubelyer

Good to see such enthusiasm among 'die hard' modelers for this kit.

But I'm thinking of the 'non-modelers' who buy them as Christmas presents.  What better choice on the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain than an Airfix Spitfire: even in an 'easy to wrap' box!

I hope Airfix sell lots and lots of them, make lots and lots of money and help bring Hornby Hobbies well and truly out of the red.  Maybe too, to make the recipients (who may not have built a model before) realise that modelling is fun and so take up the hobby and buy more.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Denford said:

Good to see such enthusiasm among 'die hard' modelers for this kit.

But I'm thinking of the 'non-modelers' who buy it them as Christmas presents.  What better choice on the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain than an Airfix Spitfire: even in an 'easy to wrap' box!

I hope Airfix sell lots and lots of them, make lots and lots of money and help bring Hornby Hobbies well and truly out of the red.  Maybe too, to make the recipients (who may not have built a model before) realise that modelling is fun and so take up the hobby and buy more.

I totally agree, well said 

• Like 1

It's landed😮

I've had the box open and had a fondle. 

A mixture of raised rivet and fastener detail with recessed panel lines. Very nice.

She's a big girl too. This should be fun. 

One thing that is odd is the colour sheet for the painting and decals. It's double sided but has the same scheme on both faces....🤔

It looks like a misprint. Can anyone shed any light on things?

• Like 1