19 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

No idea, but it's what someone did

9055dc10f3d804614e77f40c612d17d4.jpg

this is the caption under this photo.

Supermarine Spitfire

National origin:- United Kingdom

Role:- Fighter, Photo-reconnaissance aircraft

Manufacturer:- Supermarine

Location:- Long Island City, New York, Newark, New Jersey, and, in 1941, in Warminster Township, Pennsylvania, which was then known as NAS Johnsville

Designer:- R. J. Mitchell

First flight:- 5 March 1936

Introduction:- 4 August 1938

Retired:-1961 Irish Air Corps

Primary users:- Royal Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, United States Army Air Forces

Produced between 1938-1948:- 20,351

Unit cost:- Â£12,604 (£774,905 in 2017) (Estonian order for 12 Spitfires in 1939)

Variants:- Supermarine Seafire, Supermarine Spiteful

• Like 2

Perhaps it was an humorous oblique phonetic reference to the aircraft's squadron letter of "B". Also some aircraft are more or less reliable than others in the unit and quickly get a reputation as such. The aircraft may have been christened with the name due to being one of the less reliable examples.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

this is the caption under this photo.

Supermarine Spitfire

National origin:- United Kingdom

Role:- Fighter, Photo-reconnaissance aircraft

Manufacturer:- Supermarine

Location:- Long Island City, New York, Newark, New Jersey, and, in 1941, in Warminster Township, Pennsylvania, which was then known as NAS Johnsville

Designer:- R. J. Mitchell

First flight:- 5 March 1936

Introduction:- 4 August 1938

Retired:-1961 Irish Air Corps

Primary users:- Royal Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, United States Army Air Forces

Produced between 1938-1948:- 20,351

Unit cost:- Â£12,604 (£774,905 in 2017) (Estonian order for 12 Spitfires in 1939)

Variants:- Supermarine Seafire, Supermarine Spiteful

Don't know where you got that information from. The image is in the IWM's collection and with the caption:

"Spitfire Mk Is of 'A' Flight, No. 602 Squadron running up their engines at Drem in Scotland, March 1940. The foreground aircraft has the name 'Bogus' painted beneath the cockpit."

It's been reproduced in quite a number of books too and comes from a series of images which were made during a press visit to 602 when they were stationed at Drem.

7 minutes ago, Rolls-Royce said:

Perhaps it was an humorous oblique phonetic reference to the aircraft's squadron letter of "B". Also some aircraft are more or less reliable than others in the unit and quickly get a reputation as such. The aircraft may have been christened with the name due to being one of the less reliable examples.

Very possibly! 

• Like 1

I used to work on Hawker Hunters in the RAF many years ago and take two identical aircraft, one was an absolute joy to work on and the other an nightmare.....who knows. I doubt if they had Friday afternoon jobs before the weekend in those days

• Like 3

Smithy 

here... 

Asisbiz Spitfire MkIa RAF 62Sqn LOX named Bogus during engine warm up 1940-web 01 https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/Spitfire/pages/Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-62Sqn-LOX-named-Bogus-during-engine-warm-up-1940-web-01.html

the photo  that was posted  by another  member here , wrll ursvtge same photo..

scroll  down past the stupid ads and  that's what it says. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

Smithy 

here... 

Asisbiz Spitfire MkIa RAF 62Sqn LOX named Bogus during engine warm up 1940-web 01 https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/Spitfire/pages/Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-62Sqn-LOX-named-Bogus-during-engine-warm-up-1940-web-01.html

the photo  that was posted  by another  member here , wrll ursvtge same photo..

scroll  down past the stupid ads and  that's what it says. 

Ah I see. However it's usually better to go to the owner or holder of the original (in this case the IWM) to get the correct information regarding an image.

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

A Question: Was there ever/is there a cockpit detail set for this old kit? 

I found an instrument panel and seatbelts, but the seat itself is rather basic and the cockpit internals - throttle block, etc, are basic. 

Peter

Peter

you can get a seat and some other stuff from Grey Matter Figures. Their web site is being revamped but they sell on flea bay through their flea bay shop

John

• Like 2

I started making Airfix's 1/24 Spitfire for the Battle of Britain GB, which has now ended.

I used AM parts where I could, unfortunately didn't know about Grey Matter parts until I found this thread :huh:.

The kit is still in work;

I have an older white plastic edition in the stash, but the quality of the parts is no better than the softer grey plastic kit that I'm building.

Great fun but lots of work!

• Like 2

There is also some superb AM stuff from Model Monkey

https://www.model-monkey.com/aircraft-1-24

I can heartily recommend their products and service (usual disclaimers here - no attachment, profit, etc etc) 

No cockpit sets - yet. I believe there may be some more AM sets coming once these kits have been released.

In the meantime Charlie has been doing some lovely scratch work in his build, post above.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

There is also some superb AM stuff from Model Monkey

https://www.model-monkey.com/aircraft-1-24

I can heartily recommend their products and service (usual disclaimers here - no attachment, profit, etc etc) 

No cockpit sets - yet. I believe there may be some more AM sets coming once these kits have been released.

Peter

I would heartily agree with that. I have the 1/32 Beaufighter cockpit and though full judgement is reserved till I get to work with it I must say it looks good on unpacking it

I imagine they would do a great job on the 1/24 Spifire Mk1 cockpit and I’d be in for one if/ when they do one

John

• Like 2

John, 

I wish I'd know about the 1/32 Beaufighter Cockpit when I built the Revell one... A lot of scratch building, especially the bulkhead and entry hatch.... 

I'll manage with what I've found, of I'm not careful the after market stuff will have cost more than the kit....

This is also a wonderful source of information

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020636

5 IWM Videos showing in detail the daily inspection of an early Spitfire. Originally posted by Johnson over here 

• Like 5

Very cool. As a former aircraft mechanic, I always find it interesting to see "how it was done" back in the day. I had seen an extract from these before that had contained parts of each film, but never the whole series. Thank you!

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Like 1

That often seems to happen at Hannants: I think they seem to get an advance lot which is largely mopped up by pre-orders and then some bulk comes a few days later. I see Wonderland has it as available from 16 November

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-124-supermarine-spitfire-mk1a/

Edited by Work In Progress

Greymatterfigures 1/24th seat, frame, control column and throttle quadrant arrived yesterday: they are well cast and look the part, especially the control column. 

I'm going to make a real effort on the cockpit, as well as the greymatter parts I've ordered the instrument pannel and seat belts from Hannants. the guns and engine will not be seen but I'm mulling over after market exhausts. 

When I get started I'll do a WIP post.  

• Like 1

Hi Peter, that is good news. 

Any chance of a close up photo or two of the parts please?

Those 3D printed exhaust stubs linked to earlier in the thread look pretty good. The aft most pipe might need a bit of modification depending on the airframe being modelled but otherwise they look ok. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your WIP. 

Seeing how popular this re-pop has been, hopefully Airfix will do another run asap. 

Cheers