Mulsanne's Model Corner

Woodstock74

Just wanted to make introductions and to draw everyone's attention to some of my products.  I'm Mike, I'm based in the US, and I like to (CAD) draw random stuff up and have it printed.  I always have too many projects, I rarely build (these days--constantly hoping to change that), I avidly collect, and I absolutely love model making.  My interests range from 1/350 submarines, to 1/48 WWII prop fighters, to 1/35 armor, to 1/24 Le Mans/IMSA GTP cars, and a little in between.

Anyway, I have a Shapeways store here.  My most recent products of interest:

1/48 P-61 radar bay

1/350 HMS Trafalgar upgrade kit

1/350 HMS Spartan (S105) Dry Deck Shelter

Shapeways handles the printing and the shipping, I only apply a markup after I upload the .stl file.  Shapeways has an algorithm that determines the base price, and for some larger items my markup is only a few dollars.  To give you an idea, a small diesel/coastal 1/350 submarine, the volume and size for that, is about the upper limitation of base price cost + markup vs marketability.  I had grand ideas of filling in some 1/350 submarine gaps but they've just about fizzled out (I've drawn and posted a Norwegian Ula diesel sub and have a Nacken A14S in final stages).  I'm fully cognizant of trying to add value to money, hence some of the combo sets I've produced (1, 2, 3) as a means to try and trip the pricing algorithm in the customer's favor.

Honestly unsure of what Shapeways' international shipping costs are like...half-thought they had a satellite printing hub Europe based but that might be way off.  I port out to Shapeways what my home printer can't realistically handle, however I typically test-print everything at home first.  

I print these items at home on my Anycubic Photon.  And I box and ship from out of the house here in Charlotte.  And yes, shipping is what it is...it's around $13.78 to the UK. 1 box and 1 screw set weighs around 3 oz.    Naturally I'll combine shipping, and in almost all cases, additional items will be zero extra shipping cost (as the weight increase is negligible and I don't think the rate changes until you get closer to 8 oz), so see it as a flat, though immovable, shipping rate and plan accordingly.

While I like to entertain requests, the ultimate reality is that if it doesn't peak my personal interest there's slim chance of it happening.  Even if it's a guaranteed money generator.  And I get a lot of scaling requests, "could you scale this from 1/350 to 1/72", this is often fraught with issues and I find it better to draw in the intended scale of execution as it allows optimization of the wall thicknesses to the scale.

I have a dedicated FaceBook page where I'll give previews of what I'm currently working on.  Current project as of 10/15/20?  1/48 Pratt & Whitney R4360...starting to regret this one...and a note...some times what I'm working on doesn't make it to the printer as inspiration is always the driver for me...  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The P&W if it cones to fruition will definitely be nice. 

I'm getting bogged down in the details a bit, and that starts to work on the motivation.  It's always a juggle between what's reasonable at, in this case, 1/48 scale, and what isn't.  And I always want to put as much as possible in it.  But it's time consuming.  I'm also starting to realize; as it's intended for the Accurate Miniatures/Special Hobby Corsair F2G, I need to insure it will fit into the cowling!  And I still need to determine what to do about the exhausts and cooling baffling, whether or not to include it.  The R4360 that comes with the kit has minimal detail.  I also have Engines & Things' R4360, and it too doesn't include those elements (BTW, as crusty as E&T's R4360 is, it's a much more accurate shape than the one that comes with the kit).  I'll post up a screen shot tonight of the latest progress.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice detail by the way, would it be one piece unit or an assembly of cylinder heads and supercharger to crankcase type ? 

Multi-piece assembly for sure.  Right now the thinking is...cylinders...all 28, separate, engine block as one unit, and the gearbox and supercharger housing both separate.  That way everything is easier to paint.  I'll also draw up an engine stand, so you can display it by itself if you want.  This IS NOT a faithful dimensional reproduction (I haven't a single drawing--I do have, however, two 1/48 scale representations: the one that comes with the kit and the Engines & Things engine).  I'm drawing something that is close dimensionally but that also fits into the cowling on the F2G kit.  I suspect I'm going to find there will have to be a small dimensional compromise.

• Like 1

More progress.  Still tons of detailing needed for the supercharger housing.  

spacer.png

Started to look at kit integration.  First thing I checked was if the engine as I've drawn would fit in the kit cowling as I really didn't want to change anything...it was going to be too close for comfort, so I sketched up a new cowling and added a bit of detail.  This way I was able to thin the cowling's wall thickness, on the kit it was around 1.2 mm thick, and I drew this one to .6 mm, thus gaining around 1.2 mm total ID.  So that will eliminate any issues there.  Next I'll have to figure out how the entire assembly fits onto the kit.    

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If this gets to a stage where you're happy with it, what do you think it would cost to print and sell copies ? 

Not sure, the price keeps going up!  I really won't have a solid idea until I sprue everything up.  For now I'm only checking that it passes their initial design review that looks at minimum sections, and a few other parameters, and we're good there.  At this stage the pricing info it puts out is meaningless.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Woodstock74 said:

spacer.png

If there was ever a shout to make something in a transparent material, this cowling would be it!  Looking great though! 

Just had a browse of your shapeways store and see you have the Regulus conversion kit! nice! i have been tempted to give that a model at 1/48, i always quite liked its jet like shape! 

• Like 1

While I don't necessarily want to take on additional design considerations or make promises...I'm at the right point to consider something like splitting the cowling such that you can display it open.  That might be a pretty cool feature.  Just with the tight confines of the inside of the cowling to the engine itself, and the need to add reinforcement the minute I create a removable panel, not sure what the results will be in 1/48.  And I still need to resolve what to do about the engine exhaust and cooling baffling...those two will be major headaches for me in general (I'm very much a CAD novice, even at this point), and they would compete for the space inside the inner face of the cowling that I'd need to reinforce the opening for the cowling.  Things to consider...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away.  I've decided I won't be doing the cooling ducting/shrouding, but will be doing the inlet and exhaust plumbing.  I printed the cowling and it came out ok and some modification will result (it seemed to need a bit of reinforcement).  So I still have to sort the exhaust plumbing, detail the supercharger housing, and then work on the integration to the F2G kit.  That's going to take some back and forth tinkering as I'll have to work out the easiest way to execute it to keep the modeler from jumping through hoops and guessing what I intended.

spacer.png  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I'll post a screen grab tonight when I get home.  I'm still plugging away on the R4360.  I've made some test prints of the cowling though haven't proceeded enough with the engine itself to test print any aspect just yet. Came across some drawings that I wish I had had earlier and I changed just about everything engine side.  While this has nearly reached give up on life stage considering the time it's taking, at the end of the day I'm drawing it for me and I'm dreaming of visions of sticking R4360s on everything, "Here's an R4360 for you (Hellcat), and you (Spitfire) and you (Mustang), R4360's for everyone!" 🤣

In the mean time I've had a very small part in Maarten's Churchill Class SSN 1/350 scratch build:

• Like 1

So initially I was thinking I'd design the kit so you could either build it into the Accurate Miniatures/Special Hobby F2G or display it standalone with an engine stand.  But I think that's going to increase the cost way out of proportion (I'm already worried about what it's going to be), so I'll probably end up doing two with the priority for now going to the kit version.  I'll work out the details for the standalone kit later.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Suffice to say the R4360 is on hold for now.  I just ran out of steam.  Though don't fret, I will return to it.  At the moment I'm freeing my mind with a fun "what if", creating the M1A2 Abrams III as envisioned in the role-playing game Twilight: 2000.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Woodstock74
Image links broken for some reason.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

New product coming along.  I've done initial prototyping and a second print as well to hone the part interfaces and plan on a third this weekend to hopefully finalize.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2