Any body know what RAF Phantom MOD 698 was?

David Womby

5 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Should have known I could rely on you, John!   Thank you but now I want to know about the concurrent tasks specified too, please.

David

Lol,  it's nothing exciting David, it covers a set of airframe mod's. I'll dig it out tomorrow if you can hold your excitement that long 🙂

John

8 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Lol,  it's nothing exciting David, it covers a set of airframe mod's. I'll dig it out tomorrow if you can hold your excitement that long 🙂

John

If it's all invisible stuff then I don't need the details.  Thanks, John.

David

14 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Nice drawing of the periscope David.....................

John

Thanks, John, but I am now modelling a grey one pre-periscope 🙂

David

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

John, I was wondering if you can confirm please.  The skin/panel lines on the left side of the FG.1 fin are different to the right side?  Cant quite tell from pics, I know they are different to the FGR.2

Any help appreciated

Cheers Anthony

That rings a bell Anthony, I'll take a look today.

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

John, I was wondering if you can confirm please.  The skin/panel lines on the left side of the FG.1 fin are different to the right side?  Cant quite tell from pics, I know they are different to the FGR.2

Any help appreciated

Cheers Anthony

Anthony this is the best I can do for now, as far as I can tell the only differences are the two(?) inspection panels in the port side.

aGsYFO.jpg

and a photo of the rear fuselage under construction at Samlesbury, unfortunately there is no corresponding image of the starboard side.

aGs8LN.jpg

John  

Edited by canberra kid
(?)
  • Like 1

John, that's perfect!

Exactly what I was looking for.  I really appreciate your efforts and time on this.

Here is my project link

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/86105-raf-fg1-xv571-wild-hare-phantom-conversion/

I would love your feedback and assistance from time to time, or you dont mind me asking questions?

Cheers Anthony

19 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

Mod703 looks intriguing. Anyone know what that ECM training pod would have been?

There was a pod used in the 80's with limited success. It was called the PEWT (Phantom Electronic Warfare Training) pod. It was a low powered ECM pod used for training in an EW environment, the aircrew didn't think much of its value, so was rarely used. Even more rarely photographed. It was a cylinder about 1ft in diameter and 3ft (ish) in length. Loaded on the left inboard pylon using a multiple weapons adapter (MWA) and a carrier bomb triple ejector (CBTE). A Google search has a couple of references to them, but the photo's are no longer available.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

There was a pod used in the 80's with limited success. It was called the PEWT (Phantom Electronic Warfare Training) pod. It was a low powered ECM pod used for training in an EW environment, the aircrew didn't think much of its value, so was rarely used. Even more rarely photographed. It was a cylinder about 1ft in diameter and 3ft (ish) in length. Loaded on the left inboard pylon using a multiple weapons adapter (MWA) and a carrier bomb triple ejector (CBTE). A Google search has a couple of references to them, but the photo's are no longer available.

Many thanks for that information. I'm sure I have seen a photo of such a pod quite recently on the internet. 

10 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

John, that's perfect!

Exactly what I was looking for.  I really appreciate your efforts and time on this.

Here is my project link

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/86105-raf-fg1-xv571-wild-hare-phantom-conversion/

I would love your feedback and assistance from time to time, or you dont mind me asking questions?

Cheers Anthony

That's good Anthony, feel free to use the drawings, I'll take a look at the build later. If you need more feel free to ask. 

John

13 minutes ago, Troffa said:

The F-4M (FGR2) Phantom has the HF Radio antenna built into the tail fin, its the dark trapezoid behind the leading edge.  

That's a great shot of it in John's post above. 

Thanks for that, I thought it wasn't an inspiration panel, but I wasn't sure, now I know.

John

20 minutes ago, reggie78usmc said:

thank you for this info.  Do you know what year approximately, did they add these to the Phantom?  Thank you 

I can't say for sure, but the amendment date for drawing in the illustrated parts catalogue is 1989, but that feels a bit late to me?

John

Edited by canberra kid
typo