2021 GB Bunfight Poll

2021 GB Bunfight poll  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote for your favoured groupbuilds here. A maximum of nine votes per person please.

• Small Wars Take 2
    • Anything But Injection
    • The Mighty All-American Aircraft Mfg Co GB
    • Yanks Abroad
    • 90s NATO v Warsaw Pact
    • British AFVs through time - A Two Era build
    • Stranger In Town
    • Cars, trucks, bikes and AFVs
    • French Fancy 2
    • Arctic and Antarctic GB
    • High Wing GB
    • Less Than A Tenner 2
    • Double Deckers
    • None in this section
  2. 2. Please vote for your favoured groupbuilds here. A maximum of nine votes per person please.

• Shimmer, Shine, Digital and Splinter
    • Bristol Aeroplane Company
    • Africa GB
    • A Kit You Didn't Build As A Kid
    • Racers: classic, current, and Show-offs of all kinds !
    • ANZAC GB
    • V Force GB
    • Unarmed GB
    • Blitzkrieg GB
    • Intermarium GB
    • Nordic II GB – Ragnar’s European Tour 2021
    • BeNeLux GB
    • Gliders and Tugs
    • None in this section

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/11/20 at 23:59

A bloke in a nice suit knocked on my door today.  He asked me what sort of bread I ate.   I told him white bread.  He then started lecturing me on the benefits of wholemeal bread.

I think he was a Hovis Witness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A good motivation for joining Britmodeller  was to take part in Group Build's so i'll dive straight in with my list of GB's i'd like to be involved in

Desert Storm -FA-18C Hornet/MirageF1 CR

Africa GB -Churchill Mk111/P-51A Mustang

F-16 STGB -F-16A ADF

French Fancy 2 -M4A2 Sherman

NordicII -J35J Draken

there are some more Group builds i fancy but will see how i get on with the 1st two before committing to more

Craig

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The K2, a pain in 1/144. There's the rather nice looking GWH kit until you realise the wings aren't K2 wings and are instead B2 wings... Fixable but a pain. The decals are printed to fit the B2 wings so that we be a pain also

Thanks, Adam.

That is indeed the very nice looking kit I was thinking of. I wasn't aware of the mistake.

I'll consider my options.

Right now, I'm leaning towards building it as it is. With my limited scratchbuilding skills, the end result of a modification could look worse. 

I hope to do a more correct one in 1/72  some day, I gather that is possible with the Airfix kit.

You mentioned that you might broaden the scope of the V-Force GB to "British Heavies" for a slot in 2022 or beyond. I like that idea.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here is the provisional playlist for next year.   I have taken into account the requests I have receoved so far.  I have also had to take into account that a number of hosts have signed up for numerous GBs thoughout the year.  I have done my best to ensure that people get a break as far as possible but for a couple of you there will be concurrent GBs.   This list does not take into account the three blitzbuilds and the KUTA build, which will take place as normal. 

Desert Storm GB              Sun, 17 Jan 21    Sat, 15 May 21         Enzo Matrix
ANZAC                            Sat, 23 Jan 21    Sun, 16 May 21         Corsairfoxfouruncle, Jockney
Panzer III STGB                Sat, 6 Feb 21    Sun, 9 May 21            Plastix
Africa    Sat, 20 Feb 21    Sun, 13 Jun 21                                    Col.
A-4 Skyhawk STGB          Sat, 6 Mar 21    Sun, 6 Jun 21             Modelling Minion

Anything But Injection    Sat, 20 Mar 21    Sun, 11 Jul 21           Mjwomack, trickyrich, Pin
T-6 Texan STGB              Sat, 3 Apr 21    Sun, 4 Jul 21                Wez
Unarmed                        Sat, 17 Apr 21    Sun, 8 Aug 21            Brad
Less Than A Tenner        Sat, 15 May 21    Sun, 5 Sep 21            PlaStix
Bf 109 STGB                   Sat, 29 May 21    Sun, 29 Aug 21         Col.
Bristol                             Sat, 12 Jun 21    Sun, 3 Oct 21             rob85

F-16 Part Deux STGB      Sat, 19 Jun 21    Sun, 19 Sep 21           trickyrich
Hellcat STGB                   Sat, 26 Jun 21    Sun, 26 Sep 21           Col.
Ford Mustang STGB        Sat, 10 Jul 21    Sun, 10 Oct 21            VP
French Fancy II              Wed, 14 Jul 21    Sun, 7 Nov 21            Wez
High Wing                     Sat, 7 Aug 21    Sun, 28 Nov 21            Corsairfoxfouruncle, Cliff B
F-4 Phantom STGB        Sat, 21 Aug 21    Sun, 21 Nov 21          DaveJL
Nordic 2                        Sat, 4 Sep 21    Sun, 26 Dec 21              trickyrich, reini, marlin, Col.
F-14 STGB                    Sat, 18 Sep 21    Sun, 19 Dec 21             Col.

I'll try and partake in all those I've highlighted in bold. That's of course in addition to the current GBs that run into 2021, the 2021 KUTA, and maybe a Blitz or two. I have kits in the stash that would qualify for the Desert Storm, Hellcat and F-16 GBs, but I've decided in advance where to draw the line. I'm disappointed the "kit you didn't build as a kid" didn't make the cut, but you can't win them all. I think 7 of my 9 got in. I never changed my votes from what I cast early on.

For me, the two big GBs will be the "Less Than a Tenner" and "French Fancy II". These two have the widest range of potential subject matter for me, and by a considerable margin. The A-4 and Bf 109 will be my main STGBs. For each of the other GBs, I can't realistically see myself building more than two kits at most, but it will usually be just the one. This year has been a learning (or re-learning) experience in terms of how many kits I can realistically complete over a given time period.

My concern with the above schedule is that the "Less Than a Tenner" GB runs right throughout the summer months. "French Fancy II" starts in mid-July. If the weather is good (if!), I can't see myself staying indoors for long, not even to pay homage to the Great Gods of polystyrene. YMMV of course, depending on where you live, and everything else besides. I completed 6 kits for the "kit you built as a kid" GB, and I ought to have built more, but if the weather from June through August had not been so mediocre, I'd have struggled to complete 3 or 4.

• Like 2

Well I've done my spreadsheet and the one thing it tells me is that I can't decide what to build! Too many options, too little time. So here are the (current) top 3 for each GB - there's no way this many will be built, and my preferences are likely to change as the year goes on, but it's a start:

ANZAC: The obvious Australian choices - Noorduyn Norseman, DHC-3 Otter and CASA Aviocar (Ansett-MAL, Qantas and Australian Antarctic Expedition)

Africa: TAAG Angolan L100-20 Hercules, Algerian MiG-29SMT, Il-62M (either LAM of Mozambique or TAAG from Angola)

Anything but injection: Welsh Models 747SP, Anigrand Boeing YC-14, Braz/Trumpeter Tu-126 Moss

Unarmed: Intermountain Aviation B-17 with Fulton Skyhook, Tu-134SKh, Tu-154 (Gromov Flight Research Institute)

French Fancy: Armee de l'Air DC-8, Caravelle, Mirage III

High Wing: Il-76LL, C-133 Globemaster, Fokker F-27

Nordic: CASA Aviocar (Swedish Coastguard), Convair 440 and DC-6 (both Car-Air)

No doubt what I actually end up building will be completely different!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zebra said:

Well I've done my spreadsheet and the one thing it tells me is that I can't decide what to build! Too many options, too little time. So here are the (current) top 3 for each GB - there's no way this many will be built, and my preferences are likely to change as the year goes on, but it's a start:

ANZAC: The obvious Australian choices - Noorduyn Norseman, DHC-3 Otter and CASA Aviocar (Ansett-MAL, Qantas and Australian Antarctic Expedition)

Africa: TAAG Angolan L100-20 Hercules, Algerian MiG-29SMT, Il-62M (either LAM of Mozambique or TAAG from Angola)

Anything but injection: Welsh Models 747SP, Anigrand Boeing YC-14, Braz/Trumpeter Tu-126 Moss

Unarmed: Intermountain Aviation B-17 with Fulton Skyhook, Tu-134SKh, Tu-154 (Gromov Flight Research Institute)

French Fancy: Armee de l'Air DC-8, Caravelle, Mirage III

High Wing: Il-76LL, C-133 Globemaster, Fokker F-27

Nordic: CASA Aviocar (Swedish Coastguard), Convair 440 and DC-6 (both Car-Air)

No doubt what I actually end up building will be completely different!

Can we have a bunfight on your build options?  I vote repeatedly for the Welsh models 747sp

• Haha 5

I've got my interested GBs mapped on the sheet so I can see what is coming up......I'll be lucky to get 1/4 of them in.  :rofl2:   As to which ones?  Well, we'll see what GB is available when I get whichever current one completed.  I tried the multiple going at once...but I get too much interference from work and other outside influences to be able to effectively manage multiples.  So this year I'm going to try focusing on 1 at a time.

50669511751_180b782d14_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm..... lets see

Desert Storm GB              Sun, 17 Jan 21    Sat, 15 May 21  - not sure at this time but I've got an SDV 1/87 MT-LB with Iraqi colours which will probably be unique in this GB!     
Africa                                Sat, 20 Feb 21    Sun, 13 Jun 21 - got a whole stack of MiGs and African decals just perfect for this one.                                 
Anything But Injection    Sat, 20 Mar 21    Sun, 11 Jul 21 - lots of cardboard kits and whitemetal fantasy figures ready.         
T-6 Texan STGB              Sat, 3 Apr 21    Sun, 4 Jul 21 - three in the stash - possibly a faux-Zero, or a Syrian AF gate guard.                        
Less Than A Tenner        Sat, 15 May 21    Sun, 5 Sep 21 - most of my collection would fit here. Try to get a whole diorama in for under £10?           
Bf 109 STGB                   Sat, 29 May 21    Sun, 29 Aug 21 - 11 in the stash, possibly an East Front model being painted in winter scheme.                           
French Fancy II              Wed, 14 Jul 21    Sun, 7 Nov 21  - part 3 of my French Indochina trilogy            
F-4 Phantom STGB        Sat, 21 Aug 21    Sun, 21 Nov 21 - if I've not built it already, I've got an Academy F4 and some IRIAF decals.         
Nordic 2                        Sat, 4 Sep 21    Sun, 26 Dec 21 - I have slightly started a Finnish airfield scene for 1942 which if not already finished will be ideal here.             
F-14 STGB                    Sat, 18 Sep 21    Sun, 19 Dec 21 - my IRIAF F-14s, or the Tomcats for my Nimitz 1941 diorama.

Might join some of the others too if time and stash allows.            

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Africa                                Sat, 20 Feb 21    Sun, 13 Jun 21 - got a whole stack of MiGs and African decals just perfect for this one

Thanks you just inspired me to look at the Eduard MiG’s and other 1/144th kits. I may follow you're lead and do a few in that scale this year as my modeling $Budget isnt looking great. 

• Like 3

Seeing @helios16v's chart has made me realise how busy the GB calendar is going to be this year and how unlikely I'll be able to model something in all the events I'm moderating far less all the ones I want to participate in. For what it's worth, however, here's the rough plan;

Africa - MiG-17 or -21 or Buccaneer

A-4 - an Aggressor or two if I can find decals in 72nd scale

Anything But Injection - one of two Nuts Planet resin figures, most likely Venatrix as practice for Red Riding Hood.

Unarmed - either a U-2 or Spitfire PR.

Bf109 - Croatian G6 and/or Yugoslavian two seater

French Fancy II - Rafale prototype or Mirage III

F-16 - an early N

Hellcat - Caspar John's KE209

High Wing - Sea Harrier

F-4 - Luftwaffe RF-4E in 72nd or F in 32nd scale

Nordic II - SAAB Draken two seater, J 21

F-14 - got an Italeri 'Top Gun' kit but thinking to get a Hasegawa one instead.

Let's see how that goes for me (spoiler alert - not well!)

• Like 2

Good morning

Here is the list of GB/STGB in which I will try to participate with the builds that I plan to do for each one but there will probably be some changes ..

Desert Storm GB              Sun, 17 Jan  Sat, 15 May 21         Hasegawa Jaguar A        
ANZAC                            Sat, 23 Jan   Sun, 16 May 21         Eduard Spitfire Mk VIII
Africa                                                                                       ?
A-4 Skyhawk STGB          Sat, 6 Mar    Sun, 6 Jun 21           Fujimi A4 B/C
T-6 Texan STGB              Sat, 3 Apr    Sun, 4 Jul 21              Academy T-6 French
Unarmed                        Sat, 17 Apr     Sun, 8 Aug 21            Airfix Spit PR 19
Bristol                             Sat, 12 Jun     Sun, 3 Oct 21             Airfix Beaufighter
F-16 Part Deux STGB      Sat, 19 Jun    Sun, 19 Sep 21          ?
Hellcat STGB                   Sat, 26 Jun    Sun, 26 Sep 21          Eduard F6F French
French Fancy II              Wed, 14 Jul    Sun, 7 Nov 21            SH SMB2 Mirage III Tamiya F84 Sword RF84 Italeri/Platz T-33
High Wing                     Sat, 7 Aug     Sun, 28 Nov 21            ?
F-4 Phantom STGB        Sat, 21 Aug   Sun, 21 Nov 21           Academy F4J ?
Nordic 2                        Sat, 4 Sep       Sun, 26 Dec 21             ?
F-14 STGB                    Sat, 18 Sep    Sun, 19 Dec 21            ?

Patrice

• Like 3

I sat down yesterday trying to figure out my upcoming builds - but failed to do so, could only narrow down few options. I'm quite settled on my Nordic builds but given that it's almost a year away, things might still change. 

But for now, Im drawn towards plane with no jet engines - which is out of norm for me. Not that I will completely forget jets in the upcoming year but maybe I will mix it up a bit.

18 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Thanks, Adam.

That is indeed the very nice looking kit I was thinking of. I wasn't aware of the mistake.

I'll consider my options.

Right now, I'm leaning towards building it as it is. With my limited scratchbuilding skills, the end result of a modification could look worse. 

I hope to do a more correct one in 1/72  some day, I gather that is possible with the Airfix kit.

You mentioned that you might broaden the scope of the V-Force GB to "British Heavies" for a slot in 2022 or beyond. I like that idea.

Cheers, Stefan. 

the curse of knowing too much about v bombers is knowing what's wrong with every kit... 

And yes, I will be submitting a new GB proposal with a wider appeal for next year, although I would likely only be able to submit a small build as I will be at uni by then (hopefully). Big and British, the only criteria will be it's big and it's British. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Eduard MiG’s and other 1/144th kits. 

15 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Africa                                Sat, 20 Feb 21    Sun, 13 Jun 21 - got a whole stack of MiGs and African decals just perfect for this one.                                 

Now that is an idea to enter a GB I wasn't previously planning to enter...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

the curse of knowing too much about v bombers is knowing what's wrong with every kit... 

And yes, I will be submitting a new GB proposal with a wider appeal for next year, although I would likely only be able to submit a small build as I will be at uni by then (hopefully). Big and British, the only criteria will be it's big and it's British. 

@Adam Poultney  you could join the Nukes! proposal - bigger tent - get more in.

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

@Adam Poultney  you could join the Nukes! proposal - bigger tent - get more in.

Chris

just signed up for that GB. I'll still put up the big and British proposal, as that takes it in a different direction entirely. 

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/tamiya-148-grumman-f-14a-tomcat--61114-85549-p.asp

Not cheap enough for me though I am afraid.😪

Hi Craig, The 14A is £62 on eBay with discount code! The 14D is £66. Any good mate??

• Thanks 1