Very Sad,....looks like the Beverley is having its engines sold!

tonyot

4 number Bristol Centaurus engines for sale. In a Blackburn Beverley aircraft, just purchased and engines not required. "

I guess that's the end of the Beverley as a viable airframe now. 

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1608482-4-no-Centaurus-Radial-Engines.html?fbclid=IwAR18g2md5vUgjGL3AXws36n7t2KoM4nhNoSK_SgTfbhFrWK1rlkZXTt_K3k

• Sad 1

I'm sure the buyer was quoted just after the auction as saying something along the lines of "nothing that's taken out of the aircraft will be thrown away", and "some of the removed fittings will be displayed seperately". Now I understand that doesn't strictly rule out selling the engines, but it does sort of imply that for a brief few minutes there was at least the intention of keeping all the parts in one place...

• Like 1

Trying to look on the bright side/ glass half full - I suppose 4 Centaurus engines can be put to good use in returning aircraft to flight and that poor old Bev looks like she was not getting back into the skies anytime.  Also if she was to end up preserved as a static display could 4 realistic dummy engines replace the potentially working ones?  

Hmmnnn perhaps a triumph of optimism over reality there but who knows .....

• Like 2

I would bet my entire Naval pension that the Beverley would never fly due to corrosion for one and doubtless other reasons.So if 4 x centaurous ECU can be put to good use elsewhere ...or I dunno Sea Furys perhaps then its not been in vain(provided piece part spares are usable)

However keeping said flying chacon in a aircraft looking state post removal of ECU is a matter of debate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I agree with Mr Junglie - this aeroplane will never, ever fly again. Its engines may help keep Sea Furies flying without being subjected to American poppet valve engines though and that's a good thing.

😂😂😂@Mr Junglie 😀....whats the story ref poppet valves engines....is that souped up a/c like disney planes😁

Another irony Steve is that it was a Centaurus that let it down! I do hope these engines can go on to assist other perhaps live projects in the future and if there sale helps to to keep the Beverly whole all the better. As others have said, it was never going to be a flyer ever.

Keith

Having been outdoors for 46 years, and as far as I know not run or maintained in any of that time it is very unlikely that they are viable candidates to be rebuildable to flying condition, but those engines are still much better off removed from the airframe and safely in the dry somewhere than continuing to rot outside in the rain with the rest of it

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, Work In Progress said:

Having been outdoors for 46 years, and as far as I know not run or maintained in any of that time it is very unlikely that they are viable candidates to be rebuildable to flying condition, but those engines are still much better off removed from the airframe and safely in the dry somewhere than continuing to rot outside in the rain with the rest of it

The sleeves I think are susceptible to seizing more so than other piston types but I would not underestimate the skills of today's wizards.

Keith