F-100F WW

SC2015

Good day dear Modeller fellows,

finally I got my F-100F in scale 32 and intend to build a Wild Weasel in Vietnam.

Two questions on that projects I need your help:

1.) I lack of pictures of the F-100F Wild Weasel rear cockpit.

Can somebody here provide some?

2.) I only find one documented operation in which the F-100F carried AGM-45 shrike.

Can somebody here confirm it was only one strike or is the information false.

Cheers

SC2015

Run, don't walk, to Amazon and download the new Kindle version of the Detail & Scale on the F-100. There is a fantastic color photo of 58-1226 that I've never seen before. It has a single Shrike mounted on a Type X pylon on the port inboard station. Thanks to a friend who flew F-100s, I learned just this week that the Type X pylon looks like a small version of the Type I that you usually see on F-100s and it was meant for the Bullpup missile. I'm trying to locate a picture that shows the shape of the Type X pylon and I'll post it here if I find one. The First In, Last Out video (parts of it are linked above) shows them also carrying white a 17-shot LAU-something rocket pod on each outboard pylon.

Another thing you can see in the photo is the black boxes mounted on top of the rear instrument panel glare shield. A WW pilot once told me he thought they were mounted there, but I've also read that the rear instrument panel was completely reworked. Forum denizen @Murph suggested in another thread that perhaps the last 3 F-100F Weasel jets had this new panel, while the earlier jets just had the displays mounted on top. I think the photo in D&S comes about as close as we'll get to proving him right. There is also some sort of small, round instrument mounted to the canopy frame and an interesting sun shield that would cover part of the rear cockpit to shield the instruments. This one photo (plus the RF-100A cockpit photos!:yahoo:) are worth the purchase price of the D&S Kindle book.

Can I ask a favor of you? Can you measure the length of the fuselage, from intake lip to aft end (not including the afterburner), the distance from the intake lip to the leading edge of the wing, and the length of the canopy? I'm curious to see if they fixed the 1/72 kit's length issue.

Cheers!

Ben

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Run, don't walk, to Amazon and download the new Kindle version of the Detail & Scale on the F-100. There is a fantastic color photo of 58-1226 that I've never seen before. It has a single Shrike mounted on a Type X pylon on the port inboard station. Thanks to a friend who flew F-100s, I learned just this week that the Type X pylon looks like a small version of the Type I that you usually see on F-100s and it was meant for the Bullpup missile. I'm trying to locate a picture that shows the shape of the Type X pylon and I'll post it here if I find one. The First In, Last Out video (parts of it are linked above) shows them also carrying white a 17-shot LAU-something rocket pod on each outboard pylon.

Another thing you can see in the photo is the black boxes mounted on top of the rear instrument panel glare shield. A WW pilot once told me he thought they were mounted there, but I've also read that the rear instrument panel was completely reworked. Forum denizen @Murph suggested in another thread that perhaps the last 3 F-100F Weasel jets had this new panel, while the earlier jets just had the displays mounted on top. I think the photo in D&S comes about as close as we'll get to proving him right. There is also some sort of small, round instrument mounted to the canopy frame and an interesting sun shield that would cover part of the rear cockpit to shield the instruments. This one photo (plus the RF-100A cockpit photos!:yahoo:) are worth the purchase price of the D&S Kindle book.

Can I ask a favor of you? Can you measure the length of the fuselage, from intake lip to aft end (not including the afterburner), the distance from the intake lip to the leading edge of the wing, and the length of the canopy? I'm curious to see if they fixed the 1/72 kit's length issue.

Cheers!

Ben

Thank you Gentlemen,

that is great information.

You´re right about the D&S picture.

It´s worth to purchase the book.

If I measured right the length (metric) is:

Fuselage excluding the afterburner: 452mm..........Check out the value on the box......it says 367mmm

Intake lip to leading edge edge of the wing: 191mm

Length of canopy: 108mm (measured just the canopy frame)

On 10/15/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ben Brown said:

There is also... an interesting sun shield that would cover part of the rear cockpit to shield the instruments. 

Good catch.  I was so busy looking at the Shrike and its pylon that I never noticed the sun shade for the rear cockpit.  That's definitely not an instrument hood, and must have been unique to the Weasel model F.  If they did move the RHAW displays to the instrument panel for the last three jets, that was probably one factor in the move.  On the bottom of page 101 there's a b&w photo that's been published before, and if you look closely it appears to have that sun shade, but it's spread over the top of the rear cockpit glare shield (presumably covering the RHAW displays) rather than being attached to the canopy.

There is also some sort of small, round instrument mounted to the canopy frame...

That looks like the "whiskey" compass.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Here are some screen grabs from YouTube showing the Shrike on a Weasel and the pylon. Sorry, I couldn't find anything better.

From First In, Last Out (note the dark nose cone and dark panel on the body😞

spacer.png 

USAF film on a Great Planes video:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, I compared SC2015's measurements with a couple of my 1/48 F-100Fs (Fox 3 Studios and War Eagle conversions) and some drawings, plus a measurement found elsewhere on Britmodeller comparing the available 1/72 F-100Fs. The total fuselage length of the Trumpeter F scales out to within a mm or two of the smaller kits. That said, the distance from the intake lip to the wing leading edge and the length of the canopy scales out to about 1 cm longer on the Trumpeter kit (118 on the 1/48 models, which scales up to 177 mm, compared to 191 on the Trumpeter kit). The 1/48 canopies scale up to 94.5 mm, compared to 108 mm measured on the Trumpeter kit. So, it looks like they didn't fix the fuselage issue. For what that's worth.

This thread really has me psyched to build a 1/48 Weasel!

Ben 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, Don C said:

I can help in the cockpit detail and other mods as I built 2 F model weasels in 1/72 and 1/48. Email me and I can email you back pics and drawings of the rear instrument panel with the ECM displays. Cheers.

Hey Don,

sorry for lack in response but I haven´t checked on this topic since October.

Thank you very much for offering help, really appreciate.

Will shot you an email.

Thanks again.

SC2015