F-35B Main Landing Gear struts color

Pete57

I've been Google-image searching pic's of various details of the F-35B, in order to accurately build Italeri's 1/72 scale kit.

I've noticed that, unlike the F-35A and F-35C, the F-35B's top portion of the main landing gear struts is painted what appears to be a medium/dark (metallic?) grey, instead of the customary gloss white.

Can someone cast some light, i.e. FS color?

TIA

Pete

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Pete,

See if this helps a little. My favorite version, too! I have the Hasegawa "beast mode" kit, and I can't wait to hang all that nasty stuff under it- looks really mean, but VERY unstealthy!

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-35/f-35b_profile01.shtml

Hi 72modeller

it helps and I have already downloaded the full MIL-STD-2161 in pdf.

What I was referring to is just the color of the upper part of ALL the landing gear struts (I've since found out it applies to all the three members, not just the MLG).

Check out the following links (F-35B)

Wiki MLG

Wiki NLG

...and compare the color of the same details in the F-35A...

Wiki

...and F-35C

rocketumbl.tumblr.com

Pete

I see what you mean, and I never noticed that before! Maybe some sort of anodized coating is all that comes to mind, but I'm just spitballin' here! Thanks for the linked photos- gonna use them if/when I get around to doing mine!

Mike

On 10/17/2020 at 7:11 AM, 72modeler said:

Hey Mike, have you noticed that Cybermodeler hasn't had a review of any 72nd scale aircraft in ages?  It has to have been several months now.  Everything is either 1/48th or 1/32nd aircraft wise.  It's really starting to rankle these old bones of mine. 

Later,

Dave

Dave.

What do they know, anyway? 1/72 is God's Own Scale. Most kit reviews nowadays are either 'in the box' or politically correct or silly millimeter  autopsies. Internet Modeler  and the long OOP Replica magazine had real kit reviews that informed a modeler of serious errors in shape,  dimension, fit, or accuracy. Our last remaining serious hobby shop where I live, Dibbles, back in the day, would open up each new release so we could see for ourselves if the kit was a good one. @Space Ranger can also attest to this, as he used to work there!

Mike

41 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Dave.

What do they know, anyway? 1/72 is God's Own Scale. Most kit reviews nowadays are either 'in the box' or politically correct or silly millimeter  autopsies. Internet Modeler  and the long OOP Replica magazine had real kit reviews that informed a modeler of serious errors in shape,  dimension, fit, or accuracy. Our last remaining serious hobby shop where I live, Dibbles, back in the day, would open up each new release so we could see for ourselves if the kit was a good one. @Space Ranger can also attest to this, as he used to work there!

Mike

Dibbles was a great shop back then. I never worked there, but was a regular customer when I lived in Austin and attended classes at the University of Texas. There was another Mike who worked there, a fellow by the name of Mike Salyers.

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

There was another Mike who worked there, a fellow by the name of Mike Salyers.

My bad, Mikey! I had forgotten that you told me that previously. Mike S. was a very nice guy and gave me a lot of encouragement and positive comments which kept a novice modeler hanging in there amongst the heavy hitters who frequented the shop on a regular basis!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

@Robertone139,

Dibbles is still open, but nowhere near the Dibbles you probably remember. Jeff is running it now and is still trying to provide the same service that Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were famous for. FWIW, IPMS Alamo Squadron was born in the living room of my house by a core of dedicated modelers from the old San Antonio Modelers Society (SAMS) I was the first president and we were very proud of Modelfiesta, which is the longest continuous  IPMS modeling competition in Region VI. Hope you enjoyed the contests, trade tables, and guest speakers. There won't be a contest this year, due to the pandemic, so our string of annual contests will finally be broken, but IPMS Alamo Squadron and the Austin Scale Modelers will host the IPMS National Convention in San Marcos, TX three years from now, as their sponsorship of this year's convention was cancelled. Three years? I might actually be able to build something by then! Damn the silvered decals- full speed ahead!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

I think I remember 72modeler at the Modelfiestas in San Antonio.

Dibbles was the last to close.

Dibbles is still open and running strong. I go there often and was there about a week ago.

• Like 2