1/35 Thunder Models Scammell Pioneer & Tamiya 25 Pounder & Tractor

RichardW

Having finished by Churchill Tank I'm about to start what I think will be a much bigger and longer project...

Having followed a number of Scammell builds on here, I decided to have a go and bought this:

spacer.png

Looks to be a great kit, with a lot of detail... I particularly like the detail sheets that come with it showing colour schemes. Having them laid out as they are is really useful as it compliments the mainly black and white pictures that are on net:

spacer.png

I have been doing a bit of research on the vehicles themselves and it seems that there are differences between the base pioneer and the set up that was used as a tank transporter. The chassis was beefed up to allow more crew space on the transporter and it had bigger wheels which I guess is to take the weight but also give more ground clearance under load. Also, the transporter itself was really difficult to de-mount in the field so they stayed largely as transporters all the time. I can't imagine that made them the most versatile vehicles in battle.

I wanted to stick something on the back of it and seeing as I have had the Tamiya tractor and 25 pounder kit under my desk for ages I have decide to use a bit of poetic licence and have that a vehicle / rig being recovered by the transporter. I'm going to assume that given that they were about the transporters could have been pressed into use for a number of different tasks...

spacer.png 

spacer.png

I am not sure yet what order this lot will be built in or indeed how fast it will be... Work is quite hectic at the moment. But I'll document what I do and will be looking for any hints, tips or general encouragement / motivation as I work through my many mistakes!!!

• Like 9

I have made a start on this... Decided to start with the trailer and then work across to the cab, plenty of parts needed to get the trailer togther:

spacer.png

First impression of the kit is pretty good. The plastic itself is really quite thin, so I suspect there could be issues with distortion later on and trying the keep the thing square. So far so good, despite the overall thinness everything seems to go together Ok, and as I have been gluing bits it is starting to feel more robust, certainly more so that I thought it would. Its certainly fiddly in places, there are already a couple of bits that I have made that I'll probably have to go back to, break apart and put back together... Overall OK. Some pictures below, not sure they are that exciting and certainly don't show just how long it took to put together!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheels hopefully tonight, there are lot of them and each one is made of three parts so no doubt that will take all available time...

• Like 12

seems to be a run on people building these, its a great kit - well detailed but not at the expense of being really fiddly. I hoe to get some more of the cab painted this weekend on mine... looking forward to seeing yours progress

Thanks all, I did a bit more last night, although not that much. As has been said, its a good kit and not too fiddly except (for me) the photo-etch bits! I am really not a fan of them and always seem to make a mess of them... Never mind!

So last night a bit of PE and then built up the wheels. I am not sure if I am going to use them or buy some resin ones. They haven't turned out terribly but I think aftermarket ones may be better. 

Some pictures:

Getting this stuff fixed was a complete hassle and a little bit of trimming is required yet...

spacer.png

Wheels... Each ones comes in three parts, the two outer edges and a centre rim:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheel bogies:

spacer.png

Hopefully I can get some more building later. I am also starting to think about how to paint this, I think certainly for the base coats it will be easier in its component parts. Normally I would build the whole thing up and then start the painting but I think that may be a huge faff looking at he detail parts that go on later...

• Like 11

A bit more building over the weekend. Reckon another evening of putting stuff together and then its time to start priming and painting bits in modular format. 

The kit is really enjoyable but I am finding it a bit fiddly in places, its more about making parts fit, its not terrible but I do think there is a bit of filling to be done in places. One thing I am surprised about is how square it appears to be sitting. When I first felt the parts I thought it may end up a bit flimsy but a it goes together it strengthens pretty well.

More pictures

Wheel bogie onto the chassis:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Loading ramps coming together:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Front goose neck of the trailer coming together. This took quite a lot of manipulating (and glue!) to begin to sit right...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, on the neck there are some tiny PE parts that look a bit rubbish really... They are making some chassis bracing parts but are too thin and triangular when they should be rectangle! Plus, I'm not a fan of PE at all. So I am going to remove those and make some more substantial pieces in plastic and piece them in. I found the picture below that shows the braces to be much more substantial:

spacer.png

Slowly making progress...

• Like 11

Trailer is now just about built... There are still some smaller bit to be added but it ready to start painting now. I have had some more PE traumas, I really hate the stuff, to me its useful for some things but in the main I can't help thinking that plastic parts would have been just as good...

Anyway some pictures, before priming and initial painting begins.

Underneath storage box:

spacer.png

Underside done for now...

spacer.png

Ramps on the back of the trailer:

spacer.png

Ready to paint:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Painting can now begin... 

• Like 14

Managed to get some paint on the trailer over the weekend. Its a bit of a mission with the airbrush because there are a more than a few hidden areas...

I started by putting down some random brown areas and also to pick up the wood...

spacer.png

The moved on to coat of desert yellow to serve as the main base coat

spacer.png

Followed by some green added as camo. I roughly followed the pattern on the instructions but just free-handed it with the airbrush:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Final bit was to do some work bring it together and working on the wood a bit. I will be doing some aging an weathering but I think need to be careful with how far to go. Most of the pictures I have seen of vehicles from North Africa show them to be very dusty but not especially dirty and obviously not rusty! So I think its important to be a bit delicate... I'm pretty pleased with where it is so far:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wood effect has been done with pencil and as first time try I think its gone ok. I've also very lightly sanded where the tank tracks would be winched up, it hasn't quite shown in the pictures mind you. Next step is clear coat it before some very low level dust oil washes and try a bit of chipping and then fix the wheels. I'll then leave this for now and move to the tractor. I am not going to rig it until I know exactly how the ramps sit with it all coupled up...

Thanks for the comments etc, it certainly helps with the motivation!

Richard

• Like 9

Doing it with the wheels on would be a task...!! :)

Having got more than a little bit obsessed with the US election and the CNN interactive maps in particular, I didn't really get much done this weekend... I have made a start at trying to show some wear on the trailer before clearing it is prep for some very minor wash effects. 

Couple of pics of progress:

Wheels waiting of go on:

spacer.png

Extra wooden planks and some wear effect (attempt) on the trailer deck:

spacer.png

Ramps and deck with a bit of wear effect:

spacer.png

Wheels, not fitted yet but doing a test check:

spacer.png

Soon to stop on this for a bit and move onto the tractor unit. When this is finished I'll have the trailer set up with the winches pulling a vehicle onto it so  can set the jacks an ramps etc until I can see how it all sits on the ground... I'm really enjoying this but its going to be a long project...

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, RichardW said:

Excellent! Good news, yours is looking really good!

Where did you get the radiator from? I haven't actually checked if my kit has the old one in it, I assume so....!

Richard

I got it from IBG (they make other Scammels in 1/35 to risked that the radiator would fit. It is in 2 parts (front/back) but has 8 columns (7 on rear I think) and size doesn't look far off. E7 for full sprue (well actually 2 sprues) and postage form Poland

• Like 1

It's very very late for this now - I've only just looked at this thread for the first time - and you won't want to hear this but I think you've goofed the tyre construction.  The lugs on the outer sections should line up with those on the centre section to look something like the real photo posted.  A rough S pattern from side to side.  You have the outer lugs in the gaps between the centre lugs.

• Like 1

There are 3 things that spoil this kit;

1. The wheels - they just don't look good and are a very rare pattern. 

2. The radiator - that's fixed in the kit now

3. The 'Wendy house' rear cab curtains. 

For the wheels the after markets are way better and the rear curtain can be scratch built. 

24 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

It's very very late for this now - I've only just looked at this thread for the first time - and you won't want to hear this but I think you've goofed the tyre construction.  The lugs on the outer sections should line up with those on the centre section to look something like the real photo posted.  A rough S pattern from side to side.  You have the outer lugs in the gaps between the centre lugs.

Yes the wheels are a bit of horror...

In the instructions there are two tyre options. The first one is sort of straight through tyre tread and the second an off set type of tread which is what I have gone for. The first option would show and approximation of the tyres in the photo but even then it doesn't look like them. I think giving the two options for the tread is why the wheels are built in the way they are, e.g. a bit rubbish in the kit! I think when its all put together they will look pretty hidden, but I may also look at aftermarket ones if they look rubbish...

Sorry to be a Bad News Bear..........

There are some nice resin ones out there in different patterns, noting as you said earlier the difference in size between recovery, gun tractor and semi-tractor.  But of course £££ and removing the kit ones without trashing the attachment points or breaking anything else in the process.

LZ do a full set in Firestone V-tread with a Goodyear trailer option.  The Panzer Art ones all seem to be Pioneer size.

9 hours ago, RichardW said:

Where did you get the radiator from? I haven't actually checked if my kit has the old one in it, I assume so....!

That's coming along very nicely Richard.

The 'Goose neck' version is a later release and does have the correct radiator.

Wayne

Thanks for the comments, Its certainly an interesting learning curve getting this together!

Got the the end of the trailer for now... Going to move on to the tractor and get that built up and then finish the trailer with rigging etc when its all together as one. I've roughed it up with the wheels as is for now, but I may still try and get some different ones. I have used some very light oil wash just to give an impression of a roughed up surface.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Now back to building...!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted on here for a while as life has kind of got in the way of modelling... However, over the weekend, between life and getting the house puppy ready... What have I agreed to!! :) I have managed to do a bit of basic building. There are plenty of better pictures of mine and as with the trailer there are plenty of bits of the kit that are fiddly!

Engine:

spacer.png

Engine and radiator, not joined as I'll paint them first:

spacer.png

Chassis starting the build up:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Its my annual work conference this week and next, which is new entirely virtual venture, which will no doubt stop play a bit... Hopefully I can get a little bit more done!

• Like 7

really nice progress.... some fiddly build steps ahead BUT take your time and it fits together well... attachments for rear wheels is a bit short and loose so care is needed to ensure it is lined up properly

• 2 weeks later...

As predicted life has got well in the way of this over the last couple of weeks... I have managed a bit more assembly and I'm going to start a bit of basic painting this week. The truck is much more fiddly than the trailer, some of the bits are tiny and as the plastic is quite soft I have had the odd disaster getting the parts off of the sprue! Its nothing that hasn't been able to be repaired but still a bit of a pain. 

A couple more pictures below...

Some chassis sub-assembly stuff:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chassis to date:

spacer.png

Ready for painting:

spacer.png

• Like 4